S&W Model 63-3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was at my favorite gun store and they have a S&W Model 63-3 in very nice condition, original blue plastic box matching to the gun, but no manual or paperwork of any kind. The serial number started with a CAH, I have owned a couple of S&W's over the years and i know the letter prefix can tell me how old the gun is. I am not into Smith revolvers but i have always liked the 34/63 Kit guns.

My question is how old is this revolver, I don't own a copy of the S&W "book" but would like to understand about the -3 model designation and the year of manufacture, I am hoping it coincides with a meaningful year for me,, i.e. one of my daughter's birth years.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

The 63-3 ran from 1989-1997.

I didn't notice any serial #'s starting with CAH.
Cholo
Thanks, called the dealer this morning and he confirmed a model 63-3, serial #CAH99XX

curious that you couldn't find the serial number with that letter prefix. I am hoping to find out more before it gets sold, he took it in trade about a week ago and just had put it on display prior to my arrival.

Cholo
I just asked the dealer to send me a picture of the serial number, he sent a picture of the case and told me the gun matches the case! I have put a deposit on the gun now to hold it as you have made me curious about the serial number!! He also stated that he confirmed it is a "-3"

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 62F620B8-3470-4D89-992E-0FEB72A82F78.jpeg
    62F620B8-3470-4D89-992E-0FEB72A82F78.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 133

Cholo

Staff member
Whew! The 63-3 blue plastic case started in 1996. The thumb latch changed in 1997. I still can't find the CAH serial #.

I know the answer is in the book. I'll try more later.

hittman

Staff member
My SCSW 4th Edition shows that product code made between 87 and 93.
But, I see a "Special Order" on the box tag so don't know if that changes things.
The dreaded triple alpha s/n ranges are notorious for being almost impossible to decipher.
The book says CAD CAE CAM CAN CAP CAU and CAZ were made in 95 and 96 but no mention of your CAH.
No mention of CAH isn't unusual though.
I'd say if you really want to know, $100 to S&W for the letter is the only answer.
Makes Ruger's fee seem like an excellent value.

C3Ranger

Bearcat
For those who may be interested and have a copy of the SCSW, on page 491 of the 4th edition, check the explanation under "Or -- TRY THIS -- your guns DOB is marked on the box".

My SCSW 4th Edition shows that product code made between 87 and 93.
But, I see a "Special Order" on the box tag so don't know if that changes things.
The dreaded triple alpha s/n ranges are notorious for being almost impossible to decipher.
The book says CAD CAE CAM CAN CAP CAU and CAZ were made in 95 and 96 but no mention of your CAH.
No mention of CAH isn't unusual though.
I'd say if you really want to know, $100 to S&W for the letter is the only answer.
Makes Ruger's fee seem like an excellent value.
$100.00 - that is 25% of the selling price…I think I will skip the letter!

Yes, I know I got a great deal on the gun ($410.00), when the dealer told me the price he would sell it to me for, I told him I would buy it so fast that he laughed and told me to take it easy, he "didn't want me to die of a heart attack before I paid for it.

I didn't buy it to sell it, i bought it to teach my granddaughters to shoot double action. Thanks to Cholo's replies to my inquiry, I decided I had to have it, had no idea the price until I get asking the dealer for more information about the numbers and he told me to "just buy the gun and then you will have plenty of time to figure it all out." I then realized it would be a great revolver for the grand kids to learn with.

Just as a frame of reference, I gave $750 for a nice pre-lock model 63, three years ago, and was glad to purchase it.

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
I didn't buy it to sell it, i bought it to teach my granddaughters to shoot double action.
$410 is a screaming good deal on a M63! I taught my 3 kids to shoot when they were really young on the blued equivalent M34. Great guns!

The DA pulls are a bit heavy, though.

hittman

Staff member
I've got a round butt 4 inch S&W 34-1 ….. you're right, great teaching tools.

I'm a little confused at Hawkeye's "strong marketplace"... reference. Does that refer to the OP's place the gun was purchased? Sounds like an awesome deal. I suspect a lot of us would like to know where they are. Especially if accessible online.
Thanks,
KRuger

Latest posts