S&W Model 60 vs. SP101 - sizewise?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Would anyone happen to have a picture of the S&W M-60 and an SP101 side-by-side for size comparison? Please post if you do. (If they're both 3" that would be even better... :lol: )

Elmer

Bearcat
These are 2". The Model 60 is a no-dash .38 special. The Ruger is also a .38 special.

HPIM0941.jpg

bub

Single-Sixer
Here are some pics I took some time ago with my 2 1/4" SP and my 2 1/8" .357 M649. Not exactly what you asked for but close enough for Govt work. The stocks are off of the M649 to give a true picture of frame size on the J-Frame. I left the stocks on the SP since the factory stocks are the most commonly encountered.

I'm using Photobucket for photo hosting and have been having a LOT of trouble accessing pics lately. If the pics don't appear, refresh the browser a couple of times and they should appear OK. God, I HATE Photobucket! The "upgrades" made it REAL BUGGY for me, anyway!

snubbiecomp1.jpg

The barrel on the SP is just SLIGHTLY longer than the barrel on the M649.

snubbiecomp2.jpg

Butt length. The SP is just slightly longer than the M649.

snubbiecomp3.jpg

Again, not much difference.

snubbiecomp4.jpg

M649 on top of the SP. Again, the SP is SLIGHTLY taller and longer than the M649, not by much.

snubbiecomp5.jpg

Left side views.

snubbiecomp6.jpg

Right side views.

snubbiecomp7.jpg

Bottom views. As you can see, the frame on the SP (especially in the trigger guard area) is slightly thicker/beefier than the frame on the M649, again not by much.

snubbiecomp8.jpg

Front view of the crane area. Again, the SP is slightly thicker/beefier than the M649, but not by much.

Well, there you have it. I don't know how others feel, but because of the slight size and weight increase, the SP is MUCH more shootable for me than the J-Frame. I can get a full 3-finger grip on the SP (BARELY!), with the J-Frame I have my pinky hanging off with Boot Grips. With .357 ammo, the J-Frame physically hurt me to shoot it; the SP is actually comfortable to shoot with .357 ammo. Also, I IBOKed the action on my SP and the trigger, while a little heavier than the J-Frame, is MUCH SMOOTHER, also making it easier to shoot. While I would never turn down a free J-Frame, if I'm going to pay for it, give me the SP EVERY TIME!

Bub

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Thanks very much to both of you for posting the pictures.
I was really afraid that the SP101 was going to be too big for me - I have lots of experience with the S&W-60, but have decided I'm done with S&W for a while until their quality improves to match their price. After seeing the pictures, I think the SP101 will suit me just fine.
Like they say - "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Thanks again to both of you.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Okay, I like Ruger or I wouldn't be here. But comparing Smith model 60 to SP101:

The SP looks like a Mack truck next to the Smith. Look at the pix.

Comparing the SP101 to the Smith 649:
The SP is longer, fatter, heavier, wider EVERY time.

I know the Ruger is built very well...but

I've had two SP101's and sold them both. I have four J-frames, one is a model 60 3", and don't intend to sell any of them.

IMHO sonnytoo

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Looks like the SP101 is 1/2" longer and 3 oz. heavier. That must be how much it takes to make a quality revolver these days. :) Just kidding, Sonny - thanks for your response.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Dueeast":3mux7rb0 said:
What does bub mean when he says he " IBOKed the trigger/action?
It means he followed the procedure outlined in "Iowegan's Book of Knowledge" - Iowegan is a member here and has written a couple of books on 'smithing Ruger revolvers - they are highly recommended. Do a search and you should find a link for them, I believe.

bub

Single-Sixer
Triggernisis, the IBOKs are no longer available for download. Iowegan had posted them in "The Library" section over at www.rugeforum.net but had to take them down due to copyright issues. IIRC, Ruger gave him some trouble because he used the exploded diagrams directly from Ruger in his IBOKs. He took them down and re-did them. Now, you have to order directly from him and they come as a spiral-bound book. Again, IIRC, the version for all Ruger DA revolvers is $15.00. Pity, the IBOKs were a very valuable resource for Ruger guns and made cleaning up the trigger on both my SP and GP VERY easy. The new books are supposedly even better (more pics, more detailed pics and more 'smithing options) but I just don't have the $15.00 to spend right now to order one. As soon as I do, I'll be ordering one.

Bub

MADISON

Single-Sixer
I have been shooting for 50 years.
My comparison of the model 60 is that it is a much weaker gun and will probablly give you trouble some time during your ownership.
The SP-101 is a little bit larger but, it designed to be trouble free. Although, some people are experencing trouble, now that Bill ssRuger has passed away. My 3 have/are giving me no trouble.

maxpress

Buckeye
the 36, 60 and sp101 are so close sizewise your not going to notice a difference to much with measurments till you get into topstraps and cylinder walls. where you will notice a difference is with weight. especially tucked in a pocket or waistband.

ClintV

Single-Sixer
I've owned both, and both are quality firearms, and relatively close in size, but as stated above.........you'll notice the difference when you tuck them in a pocket. I prefer the Smiths.
I carry my snubbie ALOT more than I shoot it, and those extra few ounces make a big difference by the end of the day. When you start throwing the alloy frame Smiths into the equation, it's a no brainer for me.
I do realize that the heavier gun is going to be easier to shoot well, and the Rugers are built like a tank. But all of that doesn't do you a bit of good if you leave it at home because it's too heavy to drop in your shorts pocket when it's 90 degrees outside and you are just running down to the quickie mart for a gallon of milk. 8)

bub

Single-Sixer
I don't know, I really don't notice any weight or size difference difference unless I hold them, one in each hand, and really concentrate on it. For me, anyway, not an issue at all.

I'm considering an alloy snubbie for pocket carry. I have held and played with (but not shot) both an S&W M642 and the Ruger LCR. For pocket carry, I'm going to have to agree about the extra bulk, especially in the stocks. For this purpose, I'm thinking I will be going with an S&W alloy snubbie and equipping it with Magna-style wood stocks and a Tyler T-Grip for even less bulk in the pocket. For IWB carry, however, there's not a bit of difference to me and I'll gladly carry my SP to get the advantages that the SP give me. Different strokes for different folks and, as long as you like, have confidence in and can shoot your chosen gun well, then that's all that really matters.

Bub