S&W Model 27 50th Anniversary Price Check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

actionflies

Bearcat
Sorry guys I know this is not a Ruger but I know some of you are S&W fans too. So is $699 for a NIB S&W Model 27 50th Anniversary 5" with paper and box a good price?

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
Model 27's are going for a premium price . I think the $699 is a fair price for a NIB gun. Scroll through S&W on Guns America site and you will get a good idea what the asking price is on older Smiths.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Lo-Bo":1tak9q4m said:
Model 27's are going for a premium price . I think the $699 is a fair price for a NIB gun. Scroll through S&W on Guns America site and you will get a good idea what the asking price is on older Smiths.
The "NIB" S&Ws you're seeing are mostly reissues.

If someone had a NIB "old" 27 it would be worth a lot more than $699.

My 8-3/8" 27-2 is worth well more than $699...

-- Sam

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
$700.00 is a reasonable price if it is truely unfired and has all documents, case and other items. The real value in the gun is that it is a 5 inch barrel and a pinned and recessed gun which are sought after as shooters. Smith & Wesson collectables remind me alot like the winchester commeratives in that the values is in the gun and rarely the commerative issue in most cases. I would offer $550.00 and see if the seller would move.

actionflies

Bearcat
Well after doing my online research and going back to the store and giving the gun a hard look, I bought it for $699 with presentation case, papers and extras. The gun is 27-2 never been fired and the blueing is beautiful. The gun was on consignment and the owner never shot it because it was too pretty. I intend to shoot it like any other guns in my collection.

SpeedSteel001-14.jpg

SpeedSteel005-4.jpg

SpeedSteel003-8.jpg

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
actionfly, since that gun appears to not have recessed cylinders or a pinned barrel, I would think it is a 27-3, not a 27-2.

Open the cylinder and look on the frame under where the barrel screws into the frame to see if it is stamped 27-2 or 27-3 just to assure yourself what it is.

Just my $.02 worth.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
right just noticed that--- must be a 27-3 and not a 27-2. That being the case--- I would not go that high.

CraigC

Hawkeye
No, being made in 1985 it would not be a P&R gun but that matters little. Seven hundred bucks is a fair price for ANY NIB, pre-lock N-frame. I just paid $150 more for a NIB 6½" 24-3 and was glad to get it. Nearly everything comparable has doubled from five years ago.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
mattsbox, what's the Ser# of your Model 28? I can look it up for you and give you within a year or two of production.

Likely if it is a 28-2 and it is pinned and recessed, it was made before 1983, but the serial number will be needed to tell for sure.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
mattsbox99":lx9bkssg said:
What is the cutoff for P&R? I thought my 28-2 was made in '86 and its P&R...
It's not a specific date, it varies by model.

Sorry about my previous response; I somehow missed the "50th Anniversary" part. No, that wouldn't be a current reissue... (Doh!)

-- Sam

CraigC

Hawkeye
All pinned barrels and countersunk chambers were eliminated in 1982. Also, 27-2 and 28-2 models were P&R (-2's from 1961-1982), the -3's eliminated those features.

The 3rd edition of the Standard Catalog of S&W gives a value of $750 for a plain M27 (three screw) in ANIB condition. Based on that (their values were outdated soon after it was printed) I'd say you got a pretty good deal on it. There is a picture and text on the 50th anniversary guns but no value given. 2501 were manufactured in 1985.

actionflies

Bearcat
My mistake, the gun is a 27-3.

texaswheelgunner":2yjeszib said:
actionfly, since that gun appears to not have recessed cylinders or a pinned barrel, I would think it is a 27-3, not a 27-2.

Open the cylinder and look on the frame under where the barrel screws into the frame to see if it is stamped 27-2 or 27-3 just to assure yourself what it is.

Just my $.02 worth.

Latest posts