"S" Lightweight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
When it comes to letters and record keeping and history .... Ruger ain't no Smith and Wesson. Of course, the letters aren't $75.00 either.

I bet there's darn few Ruger collectors who'd shell out close to $100 bucks and a 6 week wait for a Ruger letter. Lord knows there's no money in nostalgia for the mother ship either.

Me? I'm grateful to just get what we can get.

If someone has a better idea of how to handle these things or to sell Management on the idea of throwing resources at it ......let's hear it.

The problem I see with the letters is that unless you REALLY know the gun they could tell the average guy almost anything and it, to many, would be gospel. I have a letter on one of my Bearcats that said it was shipped in 1953. Most here would know that is incorrect but some others out there may not.

If you revisit some recent threads on the matter, you will see that Ruger has been approached by serious folks attempting to address this, and the answer has been, unfortunately, "not interested".

Ruger Corp from day one, starting from the old man on down never care about collector's. There company game plan was to make "sound and rugged" firearms to the "masses". Even the "subscription program" to the friends and elites crowd was to spread the word to the masses. And yes now that, sadly is no more. Scott

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
WAY TOO MUCH MONEY :!:
PS.. :wink: ....part of our responsibilities to one another is to advise and look out for our Brethren. If you do not understand that, tell me :roll:

That's right...but gotta know its coming up for sale before the comments can be made.
I didn't see the email from the new owner until after the sale took place.
California.....Paul Christensen.
I've had a comment on my notes beside this serial number for about 30 years, which says "Fake by Christensen", so I'm assuming nobody could get a letter on it back then either.
I think the one thing everybody should be wary of is that there were sensational claims about this gun that could not be correct, as described in the factory letter, but one might not know that without reading the books first.
Next, it doesn't show up in JD's list.
I've been in contact with the new owner, so I'll see if there's a way to tell whether this gun is right or not.
Everybody hold tight.
If it turns out to be wrong...then lesson learned, we've probably all been there.
If it is correct then there may be another group of factory "second" Lightweights that were previously unknown.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28 said:
....part of our responsibilities to one another is to advise and look out for our Brethren. If you do not understand that, tell me :roll:

Agree completely. Just have to be careful about questioning details on things advertised for sale in our Classifieds. It's usually frowned upon, but sometimes things need to be mentioned. Touchy matter, this.

:?

radicalrod

Hunter
Well COLT charges $75 for a revolver, $100 for a pistol, and I think $100 for a SAA unless they discover something KOOL like factory engraved or it belonged to someone famous then they have an up charge.....the letters take 90 days minimum and for only $ 100 extra you can get the letter expedited....

Sometimes the letters are great other times they just say shipped to Joes hardware...but at least they do say where they went and when shipped along with the original finish and configuration...

To tell the truth I don't have $75 dollars to spend on every RUGER(or COLT) I own but on the KOOL ones that would seem cheap.....

My thoughts on this gun are the ship date could be correct if it was faked....how hard is it to stamp an S swap a cylinder and add an XR-3RED frame...makes a $750 gun worth $2750 an unfortunate situation....this guys IVORY STOCKS are more correct than those from the factory.....he was quite talented.....RR

chet15 said:
I've been in contact with the new owner, so I'll see if there's a way to tell whether this gun is right or not.

Out of curiosity, what can the new owner offer up as documentation/provenance that will establish the gun's bonafides . . . to our satisfaction? Even if the "S" can somehow be positively documented, the rest of the gun is "wrong" on several points.

:?:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
rugerguy said:
Amen Mike, I questioned how dark the barrel finish is, to me it was 'redone" as to the 'steel parts......
AND the boogered rear sight and the later grip frame?, and on and on.......
caveat emptor baby................

ANOTHER THING 8) Isn't there a set screw under the rear sight on the Light Weights that has to be loosened to allow the drift adjustment of the sight blade? So, wth is with that peening? :?:

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
HAWKEYE#28 said:
....part of our responsibilities to one another is to advise and look out for our Brethren. If you do not understand that, tell me :roll:

Agree completely. Just have to be careful about questioning details on things advertised for sale in our Classifieds. It's usually frowned upon, but sometimes things need to be mentioned. Touchy matter, this.

It is a touchy matter, but there are also fakes out there. Some guys have spent a lot of $ on fakes. I have mentioned that to them (and these are big time collectors!) and they get all bristly on me, usually saying "You don't know how they made guns back then".
It isn't about how they made guns back then....it is all about how they look now.
Some day those guns will be sold again as well. You guys need to raise the alert to them.
If it wasn't for the research done, we might still be looking for that rare Red Eagle Single-Six.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
rugerguy said:
Amen Mike, I questioned how dark the barrel finish is, to me it was 'redone" as to the 'steel parts......
AND the boogered rear sight and the later grip frame?, and on and on.......
caveat emptor baby................

ANOTHER THING 8) Isn't there a set screw under the rear sight on the Light Weights that has to be loosened to allow the drift adjustment of the sight blade? So, wth is with that peening? :?:

Yes there is on the Lightweight. I know of one factory second lightweight that is missing that set screw on the underside of the topstrap. Maybe 203233 is as well, would explain why somebody peened the rear sight. And MIGHT explain why this gun is a second.
Will know soon.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28 said:

There is indeed a setscrew that anchors the rear sight in place after adjustment. Unfortunately, many, if not most, casual users aren't aware of it. They beat the sight to death trying to adjust it. Hard to tell without hands-on, but maybe that happened here and the setscrew tapped hole in the aluminum frame got buggered and the peening is taking its place to anchor the sight.

Just a guess. Anybody else?

:wink:

hittman

Staff member
This thread right here is documented proof of the value of this Forum. :!:

Wish I was computer smart enough to know how to make a "back up" copy of some of these threads ..... "just in case".

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Ale-8(1) said:
HAWKEYE#28 said:

That is why we use PM's to ask or comment............. 8)

I'm leaning with Chad, that guns ser # falls between other known "S" guns. The Ruger gal confirmed it was as well. Now, as far as the two prior, clearly wrong letters. They admitted that they where wrong, good on them for that. I'm thinking there's a missing run of S guns and here's one of them. This is what keeps of us up at night. The posibiltys....Scott

street

Hunter
mr.deerstalker said:
I'm leaning with Chad, that guns ser # falls between other known "S" guns. The Ruger gal confirmed it was as well. Now, as far as the two prior, clearly wrong letters. They admitted that they where wrong, good on them for that. I'm thinking there's a missing run of S guns and here's one of them. This is what keeps of us up at night. The posibiltys....Scott
The serial number range has nothing to do with the "S" Lightweights. They run between 200,009 to 206439. Any of the gray framed brownish gold martin hard coat cylinder guns could have a fault in their finish, put aside and repaired later and shipped with a S in the serial number. There wasn't just a small group of guns in a certain serial number group but guns within the whole group of the non-all blued guns. There is also 7 all blue Lightweights with a S in their serial number.

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
Yes there is on the Lightweight. I know of one factory second lightweight that is missing that set screw on the underside of the topstrap. Maybe 203233 is as well, would explain why somebody peened the rear sight. And MIGHT explain why this gun is a second.
Will know soon.
Chet15

Six year old thread.........
Curious how this turned out?

JaydaWg

Latest posts