Rust prevention products, tested....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JNewell

Single-Sixer
That's actually been up on their website for probably five years or more. I don't think the WD-40 results are all that surprising - I've been using it on the exterior of my guns for 30 years and have never had any rust.

But, in real life, unless you live on a boat or are very careless, almost any of these will work adequately.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I use Rig and WD 40, looks like I'm in good shape. The WD 40 did surprise me as well since I use it more as a cleaner and short term protector, not as a lube. Thanks for the link.

Enigma

Hunter
I too, was surprised by the results obtained with WD-40. I note that they did not test Eezox, which is what I personally use. In another, far more demanding test, it proved far superior to nearly everything else tested.

I am not surprised by how well cosmoline performed. The Army routinely used to coat machined surfaces of cannon tubes with cosmoline, while the remainder was painted. Wrap the whole mess in cheesecloth and store it outside for decades, with no corrosion.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Yeah, there's nothing like cleaning up a 50 year old Yugo SKS that has been in Cosmoline for the last 49 years. You can bet that there isn't any rust though.

29 Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Enigma":gj2l7oki said:
I note that they did not test Eezox, which is what I personally use. In another, far more demanding test, it proved far superior to nearly everything else tested.

I also use Eezox, have for years. A friend owned a gun shop that had it's roof ripped off by some severe weather. Everything that was treated with Eezox came through without a spot. Once I saw the results of using the product, I was sold. It's great on CCH frames that several take issue with.

jsmith

Bearcat
I use 3 in 1 oil and have been using it since1965 I keep damp oil cloth and wipe down and oil all critical area every time.Have never seen any rust etc on any of my old antique or new.blued or stainles

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I recently read the similar GunBlast article on oils and protectants. The author summed it up nicely with something to the effect of, "Contrary to the test results, I've been using B-C Sheath for years, and while it scored poorly in our testing, I have never seen any rust on my guns, and maybe our testing criteria was unnecessarily harsh."

While I really like Gunzilla, I find it hard to justify spending $25/pint for a gun cleaner.

I think I'm going to start cleaning with Simple Green and using Mobil 1 for lube and protection. Too bad I don't have any firearms I could offer up for a "test". I'd like to see how Thompson's Bore Butter holds up as a protectant, too. Works great on muzzle stuffers, and smells good, too.

-- Sam

Latest posts