rust on mark III barrell

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone. I have been shooting my ruger mark III .22 pistol alot lately and havent been cleaning it. Today I noticed little speckles of rust or corrosion on the barrell. They are tiny litle spots. I tried rubing them out with gun oil. Didnt work! I dont know a thing about gunsmithing. I need some help.

using an oil that fights "rust", put a few drops on the spots and use a "0000" or "fine" bronze or brass wool...lightly rub the spots and they should clean out...all depends on how big they are and how deep they actually did any 'damage'.....usually clean up pretty decent.
Good luck............

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advise dan. Could I use hoppes oil when doing this? ohh and what does "0000" mean.

yes, any oil will really do, I use whatever I have handy...the "0000" is a grade ( ratrng) of steel type wools, it is the "finer" of the grades, less "0" s and the coarser (rougher) the wool is, more likely to mark, scratch the surface...guns finish is quite smooth and delicate, so why chance messing it up................

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the help. For now I think im just going to leave the little spots on the barrell. I finally completely field stripped the gun and cleaned it. Gun looks great! I think the spots that I am seeing is somthing other than rust. I rubbed them almost out with oil and a patch. I think over time they will go away. I hope anyway!

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Another great way to remove rust is with Blue Wonder bore cleaning gel. For light spots a bit a patch works if bigger and deeper spots use some super fine steel wool.

Latest posts