Rust in a new NR-9L

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hutchman

Blackhawk
I bought 4 guns this week, 2 LCPs, a Slabside MKIII, and an NR-9L. I picked up the LCPs and the Slabside on Monday, but the Single Six did not come in until today. I went to the store to pick it up and had to wait a few minutes to do the paperwork.

While I waited, I decided to fondle my new Single Six. I was looking the gun over and noticed a small spot of rust on the frame. I pulled back the hammer and CRAP..........it was loaded with rust inside. It was a mess!

The store has another on the way for me. I am sure glad I looked before bringing it home. Sadly, they had another SS in 17 HMR that came in a week ago that was worse than mine.

Could this rust be due to some part of the blueing process that has been done inadequately or incorrectly?

Dale53

Blackhawk
ddeaton and I each received a Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 magnum that had a bit of "orange" on the frame. I used 0000 steel wool and a bit of oil and it cleaned up perfectly. It appears to me that they didn't fully neutralize the bluing salts after bluing.

My .44 Lipsey Special was OK.

Pretty sad with that Lipsey Special previously reported (wonder why the pictures were removed?).

Dale53

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
I got a 50th Anniversary .357 magnum in June (fired case date January 2006) with a similar orange tint. I cleaned it good old fashioned Hoppes rubbing it down with oil afterward. I did this sevl times over the first few weeks and the amt of orange which "wiped off" on the rag lessened each time. I only get a sense of it now when looking at the gun in direct sunlight. I initially assumed that some water got to the gun either in the CDNN warehouse or en route while shipping. These recent reports make me wonder...

-Stephen

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have a Bisley Single Six I bought several years ago that came in that condition. I also had a Mini 14 I bought (lightly) used that was covered in fine orange rust.

My understanding is that level of oxidation is simply from not properly stopping the bluing process. It wipes off easily, and so far hasn't returned. Though it was in every little nook and cranny, and I had to take the ejector housing off to get it from under there, etc.

The Lipsey's .44 that was recently shown had liquid sludge rust in the trigger area under the grip frame. It sounds like Hutchman's Single Six was similar. That's a big difference from a little external oxidation.

-- Sam

hutchman

Blackhawk
Mine was not an orange film......it was rusty muck inside and rust into the metal of the frame on the outside. The other SS he had was worse than mine and had maybe one square inch of serious rust into the metal on the frame....

They didn't hesitate with mine - he got on the phone with his distributor and had another one coming almost immediately. Excellent customer service from the store. I just wish they would figure out what is causing this and get it fixed.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":20jpht1u said:
I have a Bisley Single Six I bought several years ago that came in that condition. I also had a Mini 14 I bought (lightly) used that was covered in fine orange rust.
My understanding is that level of oxidation is simply from not properly stopping the bluing process. It wipes off easily, and so far hasn't returned. Though it was in every little nook and cranny, and I had to take the ejector housing off to get it from under there, etc.
The Lipsey's .44 that was recently shown had liquid sludge rust in the trigger area under the grip frame. It sounds like Hutchman's Single Six was similar. That's a big difference from a little external oxidation.

Ca. 1981 bought a S&W 36 3" SB NIB. Had a smith work on it in '83 or so and he wanted to know if I'd ever dripped into the lake.

single action

Single-Sixer
F.Y.I. the store that I work at just received a Lipsey .....44 special with rust also! check your new purchases all the way around. thanks S.A.