runway-shut-down-at-orlando-international-airport

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Hey 737tdi; This wasn't YOUR driving was it ??

http://www.wesh.com/news/runway-shut-down-at-orlando-international-airport/34665348

"It happened when a maintenance plane was being moved from one hangar to another, and the plane went off the runway."

:shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
They missed the taxiway by a long ways. The two unemployed mechanics are now looking for a job at McDonalds :D :D Hard to tell if they collapsed the gear or just stuck it REAL bad. Not just a little off the taxiway. :wink: They must have forgot Throttles forward go FAST, throttles back go back.

Here is a better video of it.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/runway-shut-down-oia-due-stuck-southwest-plane/nnHwm/

Missed that last pylon :mrgreen: or missed the Tarmac so landed in the grass? :shock: I wonder if there is a groundhog hole over there?
gramps

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
How about that plane engine that caught on fire sitting on the runway getting ready for take-off?

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
How about that plane engine that caught on fire sitting on the runway getting ready for take-off?

That plane is not getting ready for take off. Looks like it is coming into the gate. Guy on the ground is telling him to turn left. Still not a good thing :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim said:
That plane is not getting ready for take off. Looks like it is coming into the gate. Guy on the ground is telling him to turn left. Still not a good thing :D
from the article.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/us/plane-catches-fire-at-nashville-airport/
quote> The plane "experienced a brief flame upon engine startup, which immediately dissipated. There was no fire and no emergency was declared. Technicians are evaluating the CRJ-200 aircraft and customers have been reaccommodated on alternate flights," said spokesman Michael Thomas.

Thomas told CNN the flame resulted from "small excess fuel in the tailpipe of the engine being expunged from the rear of the engine." <end quote

Every news report I heard said the plane was on the runway ready for take-off. The 'news' never gets anything right.

RugerHound

Hunter
Wyandot Jim said:
Jimbo357mag said:

Looks like a bit of a liquid fuel leak prior to startup and it got hot enough to flash. It happens the odd time!

RugerHound

Hunter
Wyandot Jim said:
They missed the taxiway by a long ways. The two unemployed mechanics are now looking for a job at McDonalds :D :D Hard to tell if they collapsed the gear or just stuck it REAL bad. Not just a little off the taxiway. :wink: They must have forgot Throttles forward go FAST, throttles back go back.

Here is a better video of it.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/runway-shut-down-oia-due-stuck-southwest-plane/nnHwm/

LOL!! MacDonalds will be happy to grant them a new taxi licence to get the fries from the freezer to the fryer! ;)

Looks like someone got off the apron and decided to play George Kennedy in "Airport" and 'drive it out'. Movies work differently than real life! Wonder if they had a cigar to gnaw on!?

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:

OK Jimbo,
Lets get some of the aeroplane terms correct. "caught on fire sitting on the runway getting ready for take-off?" The RUNWAY is that long piece of concrete with a white stripe down the middle. It will also have those white lights along the side. They make it real nice for the pilot guy to find it in the dark. This runway thing is what we pilot guys use to see if we can get the SOB in the air before the trees grab us. In the picture YOU posted I didn't see any of that RUNWAY stuff. OH by the way they don't let the parking guys on the runway thing, well sometimes but they get replaced because they get splattered. It is very obvious to us Pilot Guys that the plane is sitting on the RAMP or as all the news people now like to call it " The Tarmac" which is a British thing that is not what a CONCRETE Ramp is. Tarmac is BLACK TOP.
Now that great picture that you posted of a nice fireball. Which was caused because the Pilot Guy pumped a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit to much fuel into the engine. Guess what when you make a BIG puddle of fuel then make a spark you get a very impressive big fire ball. Son teaches students that this is not the best way to start the Jet. If you do it you get to write on the blackboard "I'm Stupid and I don't know how to start a jet" :D :D
Well Jimbo Runway class 101 is now over. Let's get a beer :wink: :wink:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim said:
I agree 100% but please tell these guys. :D
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pictured-terrifying-moment-plane-bursts-6213632

quote> This incredible photo captures the moment a plane caught fire on the runway at Nashville International Airport. <end quote

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
In the 70's the alert fighters were at the end of one of the runways. It just so happened the county airport was also at the end of the same runway, only on the other side. Take a look at this photo It clearly shows the alert pad and the building on the other side is the county airport.

Well one day an alert was called, off went the Phantoms, however there was a passenger jet landing. Well the passenger jet went off the runway and into the infield. Which if you know northern Florida is pretty much a bog. Took them days to get that one out.

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Wyandot Jim said:
I agree 100% but please tell these guys. :D
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pictured-terrifying-moment-plane-bursts-6213632

quote> This incredible photo captures the moment a plane caught fire on the runway at Nashville International Airport. <end quote

Well Jimbo a perfect example why not to believe what you see or hear on the news. Think and research for yourself no matter what the circumstance. Then you can make a decision. That is the way we Pilot guys do things. :D :D :D :D

opos

Buckeye
I like the wording in the article about the Southwest..said "when the plane ran off the runway"...guess that means nobody was driving....which is what it looks like....

Thanks like saying the gun shot the bad guy that was breaking into the house...guns do that kind of thing.

"Honest officer...nobody was driving....we were all in the back seat singing."

Also like the quote about the engine fire..."Delta described the incident as a flame instead of a sustained fire."...sort of like being "sort of pregnant"...the Delta P/R person should work for the Government in explaining things.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
opos said:
I like the wording in the article about the Southwest..said "when the plane ran off the runway"...guess that means nobody was driving....which is what it looks like....

Thanks like saying the gun shot the bad guy that was breaking into the house...guns do that kind of thing.

"Honest officer...nobody was driving....we were all in the back seat singing."

Also like the quote about the engine fire..."Delta described the incident as a flame instead of a sustained fire."...sort of like being "sort of pregnant"...the Delta P/R person should work for the Government in explaining things.

Probably an ex information officer for the USAF. They gave a great explanation about the KC135 that exploded in mid air at Torrejon. It seems no one died until they hit the ground. I sure hope that wasn't true, being burned alive and having to wait until they hit the ground to die seems really cruel.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Jeepnik said:
In the 70's the alert fighters were at the end of one of the runways. It just so happened the county airport was also at the end of the same runway, only on the other side. Take a look at this photo It clearly shows the alert pad and the building on the other side is the county airport.

Well one day an alert was called, off went the Phantoms, however there was a passenger jet landing. Well the passenger jet went off the runway and into the infield. Which if you know northern Florida is pretty much a bog. Took them days to get that one out.

Well, Another thing they got wrong is calling it "Orlando International Airport"; It's designation is MCO or McCoy Field and it is NAMED after a bomber pilot that chose to crash in a nearby woods/field rather than into homes. It was an Army Air Corp/Air Force field during WW2.
If you are ever in Orlando, Stop by and have a look at this Aircraft :

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4496901,-81.3126137,118m/data=!3m1!1e3

Bull Barrel

Hunter
Wyandot Jim, THANK YOU for pointing out the difference between Tarmac (Macadam with tar) and concrete!
Why, oh, why do people call pavement at an airport tarmac-and only when referring to an airport?
When I worked at MODoT we never used the term.

graygun

Hunter
Tarmac,bonnet,boot,spanner...funny words and they drive on the wrong side of the road,too.

Jet drag cars/trucks do a lot of fuel burns as part of their show,prior to making their runs.

737tdi

Hunter
Pamela, just saw your post. Nope, that wasn't me driving thank god. I do taxi aircraft most every day but also being a pilot I know to follow the checklist, the rules and taxi/runup procedures.

To answer a couple of questions (I can't say anything that has not been released or reported). The nose gear did collapse and of course fell onto its nose. Both engines hit the mud and caused severe damage to them and probably to the pylons (where the engines mount). If the two mechs are found to be at fault by not following procedures they will be terminated. SWA is very forgiving but if blatant disregard of rules/regulations and procedures are found, you will get fired. I'm guessing a hull right off on this one, like the one we had at LaGuardia.

Latest posts