Ruger's simulated ivory Hogue brand grips...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

patrick_ford

Bearcat
I have a .44 Special Blackhawk that I love, except for the grips. Even though this gun is not a magnum, the cheese-grater grips eat up my hands. So I ordered some Hogue simulated ivory grips directly from Ruger with their emblem. They arrived today. They were chipped right out of the packaging in 2 places and they didn't fit without needing to heavily modify the "guide hole" near the bottom of each panel. I can tell they are not going to fit regardless of what I do.

Is this simulated ivory really as delicate as these particular grips seem? If so, they have no business being on a working gun. I am going to return these grips. I did not want to pay a ton of money for grips, that was why I attempted to use Ruger's Hogue grips they were $64. Is it possible to get grips that look good and are functional but not cost an arm and a leg?

I wanted to try an ivory look-alike, but like I said, if they are this delicate, I can't go that route. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about their experiences with this grip material or an alternative?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Patrick

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I have a pair of white micarta & a pair of hollywood grips which are a yellowish colour. I like the micarta but are more slippery in the hand than the wood grips....
I prefer the wood grips.....
myguns373.jpg

White micarta grips on right (4-5/8" Blue)
Hollywood grips on left (5-1/2" Blue)

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
I have Ajax fake ivories on several of my single-actions and really like them.
I've never cared for the color of the ivory factory grips but I've never chipped any of them either.
I recently put a pair of Hogue micarta grips on one of the Rugers and really like them. They are kind of expensive though. The Hogues are much thicker than the factory grips and seem to tame the recoil better. Micarta is much more durable than any of the other materials used in grips. As long as you are not nailing up wanted posters with your gun, the micarta should do well for you.

Jack

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Ajax is now out of business. You can still find some of their grips on the dealer's shelves or at the gun shows, but they have closed the doors and are not producing any more grips.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I've been happy with my Hogue ivory polymer grips on my Blackhawk. Had them probably a year. I took the gun to Alaska for a month this summer and took my rosewood grips, just in case... but never had a problem.
Eaglehawk.jpg

dougader

Hunter
Private's grips as noted above, and also Sixshot on this site are very reasonable for grips. Try the white holly for a slightly aged ivory color.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I've got the Ruger Ivorys on everything. I did not have any problems with the fitting and they shoot wonderful with 44 mag full power loads.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Pvt. Shultz American holly grips simulate ivory...are wood.......fit perfect....look great..........feel good ..and are priced right. I will buy more from him.

Mike

dougader

Hunter
I don't think you can ever go wrong with grips from Cary Chapman (CLC) or Private's, and the Holly stocks look awesome.

patrick_ford

Bearcat
I think I have figured out what the problem is: I swapped my factory .44 special grips with my .357 anniversary model and they fit perfectly. They are exactly the same size as the .357 grip panels. It turns out that the grip frame on my .44 special is out of spec!

I am going to attempt to call Ruger and explain my situation and see what they might be willing to do. All I know is that I hate shooting this revolver with the factory grips and something must be done. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Patrick

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Where on the grip frame is the flaw? I've found that some of the newer New Vaquero ("New" XR3) grip frames are larger in the backstrap than my early production New Vaquero grip frame. This is especially true for the stainless grip frames.

patrick_ford

Bearcat
I figured I would give everyone an update regarding my .44 special Blackhawk problems. My grip frame locator pin was drilled out of spec. This is why the 3 sets of grip panels I tried to install would not work. I contacted Ruger and they sent me a shipping box and said they would look into the situation. They also said that they would give me some "smooth" grips since I have had so much trouble with my Blackhawk.

After about a month, I got my Blackhawk back. They had replaced the grip frame and re-blued the whole gun. It looks pretty nice now, rather like the older super Blackhawk did with their glossy black finish. The only problem was they did not include the "smooth" grips. I contacted them again and let them know and they said that they contacted the Prescott location and they should handle the replacement grips as the Newport location does not have the necessary replacement parts on hand. I then called Prescott and spoke to a very nice lady named Laura. She said the grips were delayed because they were out of the rosewood grips that were originally intended for me and they did not know when they would be available. I explained my situation involving the troubles I had and how I originally tried to get some of their simulated ivory grips but they were chipped and did not fit because of my grip frame problems. She told me she would take care of it.

Four days later I got my simulated ivory grips in the mail and they look and fit perfectly. Ruger is awesome. I have a number of guns from them and will always continue to be a fan.

Got to go, its time to shoot!

rb44spec.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick