rugers precision rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

737tdi

Hunter
Received this email from Ruger just now. The Ruger Precision Rifle challenge.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/challenge.html

Karl

Tonight on the Sportsman Channel this rifle is featured on "Ruger's Inside Out". At first I wasn't interested in this model, but I'm getting an urge to get one. I load for 308 and have a very accurate American in 308, but the 6.5 Creedmoor is what is getting my juices flowing.

87samurai

Bearcat
Just got my Ruger Precision Rifle today in 6.5 Creedmoor- hope to go to range on Thursday and try it out.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
My RPR creed came today. Slopped on some paint, while waiting for scope rings.....

IMG_6328%202_zpsxbgrixb7.jpg

Capona

Bearcat
Ruger told me today that they won't offer a barrel change service and if you have someone change it for you it will void their warranty.

This seems stupid to me that they won't offer the service or have authorized service providers.

I hope they change their position. Otherwise their flexible benefit of easy barrel swap is a negative warranty void. Just getting the word out in hopes they reconsider.

TBear77 said:
I like the idea of a switch barrel, but some unanswered questions:

Is Ruger going to be offering barrels for this or are we going to have to go 3rd party? IE, if I buy on in 6.5, and later decide I want a .308, will Ruger sell me a .308 barrel with the locking nuts?

If this really is a variant of the American receiver, will the barrels interchange? Such as, can I purchase a 7mm-08 barrel (currently on the American model 6906) and use it on the Precision Rifle?

What about those that want to go the other route? Buying Precision Rifle locking nuts for use on a switch barrel American?

Ted

EmptyChamber

Bearcat
huntsman22 said:
My RPR creed came today. Slopped on some paint, while waiting for scope rings.....

IMG_6328%202_zpsxbgrixb7.jpg

Wow you didn't waste any time in the paint department, nice job! Got one on order at Green Mountain at a great price in 6.5 Creed.

EmptyChamber

Bearcat
huntsman22 said:
Empty, When you get it, come on out and bang my steel out to 700 yds. and maybe a LR prairie dog....

Thanks for the offer! Must be nice to be able to work up loads in the ol' back yard.

Here is where I usually go in Byers, although some days can be crowded especially on weekends. Been a while since I've been out there, last time there was to check out my Argentine FAL which I built and smithed from a NOS parts kit. She turned out great.

http://crci.org/

Here is my Argentine FAL build:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80414&d=1441304736

I assume you are already set up to load 6.5 Creedmoor? Ordered some Whidden dies yesterday and some 140gr Hornady Amax. 140gr. Hornady seems to be in short supply except for Winchester match.

G'day,
Emptychamber

SonofBassMan

Bearcat
One ugly rifle - sort of like a bolt action AR - immensely popular and functional.
Some observations:
The .243 Win version has a 1-7.7 twist that will enable use of 105 grain VLD bullets and also the 107 grain Sierra Match King, that with a 26 inch long barrel should produce 3000 +- fps. This is what probably why Ruger came out with the 1600 yard business, anticipating this combo super sonic out to 1600. Looking at most 1000 yard bench rest shoots relatively small 6mms like the 6mm Dasher are the usual winners. I would expect the magazines would be of 2.8 COAL. This rifle is not intended to be a bench rest rifle (1000 yard bench rest shoots) and being such is supplied with only an adequate barrel but the entire works is a buy at about $1 thousand. I would expect that any accuracy guarantee would be a real headache because of a huge amount of variables (bullets-quality & make, ammo, ability of shooter and more).

I read that the barrel is a chrome-moly one having 5 lands and grooves meaning that the opposite area of the barrel would not be like land or groove. My first impression was that the barrels were chambered with an extended portion just behind the rifling of some .0005 or so diameter larger than bullet diameter. This should help out with bullet seating for best results. The 6.5 Creedmore is a nice cartridge, especially in a short action and provides a great combination of moderate velocity, bullets having great form factors, accuracy, and good barrel life. Brass can be formed out of .22-.250's. Every body reading this can appreciate the .308 Win

The Ruger ad, "barrels can be easily replaced" by some gun smith. Ruger neglected to say what gunsmith and an improperly installed barrel having excessive head space could lead to an event causing destruction of the rifle. Would Ruger react favorably to something like this. All my Ruger rifles have high grade stainless barrels of non Ruger make - I just use them without benefit of Ruger warranties. Possibly Precision Rifle owners might want to upgrade the barrel in their rifle to some stainless match grade type and/or different caliber and the warranty business might be a concern.

8-40 screws are used instead of the smaller 6-48 screws for attaching the (20 MOA?) mount base and the upper and bolt are CNC machined steel rather than investment cast.

Generally, I think all the calibers available would be poor choices for volume rodent shoots. A dozen or so rodents OK but 150 to 200 per day no. A .223 or .204 would be better choice. As far as all day carry in hunting there would also be better rifles but that is just my subjective opinion. A 20 round magazine of .308's loaded with 168 grain bullets would increase weight.

This rifle appears to be Ruger's response to the wave of AR popularity and at $1 thousand might be popular, provided that some unseen problem does not cause a recall (lots of small moving parts).

Capona

Bearcat
What rings are you using? What's their height, how does the cheek riser at that ring height?

dakota1911

Buckeye
I am interested in the .308 but would like to look at one before I buy. So far a couple gun stores have sold a couple but have had none for display.