rugers precision rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
RSIno1 said:
wunbe said:
might turn my head were it not for the weight -- 10 lbs + w/o scope -- and price tag -- about what a far prettier Ruger No 1 goes for. Throw in the unreleavedly ugly character of the rifle and my "I pass" light goes on
+1 I've got a black gun (and it's only 9.4 lb) but prefer blue and walnut like my No1s.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=228

I have one of those 24" RRA Varmiter 24" tube, scary accurate!

I also don't think it has to be one over the other, period! I have a Lipsey .264 WM Number 1 that is a jewel !

737tdi

Hunter
Gunblast has done their review on this "beauty". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9axtjT_tkg I can see I am going to be out appx. $1200.. There is also a review in American Rifleman on line. http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/. AR said they got an average of .67" (one ragged hole) at 100 yds and also took the rifle to FTW and achieved phenomenal accuracy beyond 1500 yds. with the 6.5 Creedmore. I guess I will just use my Nikon Monarch Gold scope until I can afford better optics..

Semper Fi:

Karl

Edited to add: There is a gun store chain in CA. called Turners that has them for sale for 999.95.

DGW1949

Hunter
It'll be fun watching how things play out relative to Ruger's new offering.
Putting aside my own reservations as to whether their manufacturing/assembly line QC is up to the task of actualy doing "precision" work, I'm still left with the thought that a rifle such as this would be wasted on all but a fraction of the shooters who will buy one.....same as it would be on myself.
What I'm getting at is that after reading what the 'American Rifleman' had to say, I've decided that this thing must be one heck of a gun, and especialy so in it's optional "Creedmore" chambering. Me being an old NRA Service Rifle shooter, I'd love to have one to play with...if only I had somewhere to shoot it....meaning that using it at my local 300-Yd public ranges would also be a waste. Leastways in my view it would, and besides that, I already know that I aint much good past 600 Yds anyhow, so what am I going to do with a "1600 Yd gun" besides sit and admire it?

Just sayin' that I got about as much real use for one as a cat has for pajamas.
But hey, I hope they sell a milion of 'em.

DGW

I have no real use for it either, but I'm getting one anyway! I'm just on the fence between the Creedmore and the 308 Winchester. I already have all the stuff I need for 308 Win (brass, dies, trimmer, etc), but a new caliber is always fun to play with. Decisions, decisions...

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Looked at the pic on the website and it looks like the barrel is dropping like a 10/22's. If you line the slots up in the hand guard with the surface of the barrel, it looks like the barrel is dipping down in the hand guard.

If the pic is true, going to have a real problem wit sight mounted on the rifle. If the receiver is in line with the hand guard top surface, and the hand guard is not tipping upwards, you are going to need a lot more than 20 MOA on the scope base.

Wonder if other see the same thing. May not be a problem with an actual rifle and may be a picture thing too.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Found an American Rifleman article on line that talked about accuracy, based on Ruger's testing, "as internal testing conducted by Ruger has yielded an average of 0.83" at 100 yds using multiple guns."

737tdi

Hunter
steelshooterco said:
Found an American Rifleman article on line that talked about accuracy, based on Ruger's testing, "as internal testing conducted by Ruger has yielded an average of 0.83" at 100 yds using multiple guns."

Wow, If you were to read the post like you should you would see the AR article linked. Don't just peruse the topics then reply. Learn from the people on the forum. I appreciate your response but please read the post in whole.

Karl

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
737tdi

Guess you are channeling for the "Great Carnac the Magnificent"! Glad to see you know if I've read all the posts or not. I'm impressed _ NOT!!!

The Ruger website does not appear to provide an accuracy guarantee, which many manufacturers of "Precision" firearms do, try Bullberry and Lea Baer do (.5 MOA 5 shot groups with match ammo on their AR-308).

The referenced articles mention 0.5 MOA and a group that was 0.67". I have a Remington 541 that shot one .25 MOA group at 100 yds (5 hots with Eley Tennex). It never repeated this performance, but it routinely groups at 1 MOA (100 yds) with quality ammo. Thought other members (besides you) would be interested in the cited average accuracy from the NRA article that they indicated was an average provided by Ruger.

Guess you can channel what I'm thinking or reading now LOL

TBear77

Single-Sixer
I like the idea of a switch barrel, but some unanswered questions:

Is Ruger going to be offering barrels for this or are we going to have to go 3rd party? IE, if I buy on in 6.5, and later decide I want a .308, will Ruger sell me a .308 barrel with the locking nuts?

If this really is a variant of the American receiver, will the barrels interchange? Such as, can I purchase a 7mm-08 barrel (currently on the American model 6906) and use it on the Precision Rifle?

What about those that want to go the other route? Buying Precision Rifle locking nuts for use on a switch barrel American?

Ted

737tdi

Hunter
"Thought other members (besides you) would be interested in the cited average accuracy from the NRA article that they indicated was an average provided by Ruger."

I don't understand how you came to this conclusion?? Towards the bottom of the article I pasted there is a chart of exactly what the shooters for American Rifleman achieved with this rifle. Nothing saying these numbers were provided by Ruger. Actually quite the opposite, they say in black and white and a little blue that this is what they shot and the ammo they used to shoot it and where they shot it.

As far as Ruger offering a accuracy guarantee, look at the difference in the price of the higher end match rifles. The Les Baer starts at $3,600 and with that price they can afford to guarantee it.

Karl

gtxmonte said:
So you think just taking a RAR action and barrel.......tossing it in an alum chassis, immediately makes it a 1/2 MOA rifle

Not at all. It's so much more...
http://www.gundigest.com/tactical-gear/ruger-precision-rifle-small-groups-small-price-tag

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Karl,

Quote from the article, @ 6th paragraph down (http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/):

"Development of the Precision Rifle started with the stated goal of sub-m.o.a. accuracy using American Rifleman's protocol of averaging five consecutive, five-shot groups. The end product managed to exceed that goal by a fair margin, as internal testing conducted by Ruger has yielded an average of 0.83" at 100 yds using multiple guns. The sample sent to American Rifleman for testing performed even better than that, achieving an average result of 0.76" at the same distance using three ammunition loads."

That's where I got the 0.83", now Ruger is not saying that on their website, and we're getting it second hand from American Rifleman. If I buy one, would like to know what to expect on a factory produced gun, not one that was made up to send to gun writers or exec's. Figure this is what I should expect, and thought others would be interested too.

737tdi

Hunter
I see what you are saying. That Ruger handpicked the rifles that they sent to the gun writers/testers. From what I have found online is that this gun was sent to a lot of folks prior to release. Do I believe they would do this, maybe. I think the key statement in the quote is this "The end product managed to exceed that goal by a fair margin, as internal testing conducted by Ruger has yielded an average of 0.83" at 100 yds using multiple guns." The part of which is 0.83 using multiple guns. IMO this is what one should expect and if not achieved after purchase would/should be returnable for testing and repair. It is being marketed as a "precision rifle" and if it does not meet their own definition would be a defective product. JMO.

Karl

martyj

Blackhawk
If you read the review on the Number 1 and the 77VT they already have a precision rifle.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/ruger-6.5-creedmoor-review-1.php
Cant help but think they would of been much farther ahead with the 260 rather than the 6.5 creedmore. The 260 seems to have its own following of people.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
The 6.5 creedmoor will feed long, high BC bullets thru a short action mag box. Hence the gaining popularity of that chambering over the 260. And who wants to single load a No. 1 at a PRS shoot? The detachable mags are skookum for that chore.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
martyj said:
If you read the review on the Number 1 and the 77VT they already have a precision rifle.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/ruger-6.5-creedmoor-review-1.php
Cant help but think they would of been much farther ahead with the 260 rather than the 6.5 creedmore. The 260 seems to have its own following of people.

The VT is fine, I have a few. Much as a I like my No1s I've had some that were picky and the trigger, while OK for a hunting rifle, isn't very good for target shooting. The older style No1 trigger was adjustable & OK, but that's long gone. I have and like the 260 but as mentioned the 6.5 will take longer bullets. I spend most of my time at the 100 yd range, probably doesn't make any difference. But longer range I think the 6.5 edges out.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
huntsman22 said:
The 6.5 creedmoor will feed long, high BC bullets thru a short action mag box. Hence the gaining popularity of that chambering over the 260. And who wants to single load a No. 1 at a PRS shoot? The detachable mags are skookum for that chore.

Yea, that's the deal, the Creed is set up better for short action & in a short action the small cap. edge of the 260 is negated. If you wanted the absolute most when comparing these 2, you would have to build on a longer action but on a longer action you could use other rounds. As the following article states, the 260 does more in a short action if you don't use bullets. :mrgreen:
There is a logical comparison here: http://www.realguns.com/articles/567.htm