rugers precision rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

257fan

Bearcat
http://www.osagecountyguns.com/blog/news/ruger/ruger-precision-bolt-action-rifle/

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
It doesn't seem like this gun is in the Ruger site for sale. It seems like a lot of hype before they are in production so a guy like me could buy one. I would be interested in the .308. I may check with my local dealer for availability. But I am not going to wait for 16 months like I did for my last gun (non Ruger) ordered.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
No doubt interchangeable barrels will follow from Ruger or from others.
Here is a dang good description: http://www.realguns.com/articles/726.htm

wunbe

Buckeye
As a traditionalist with mil/serv dating from the M1 era, I can't like AR style rifles in general but a LR precision bolt gun with a free floated barrel and an adjustable trigger just might turn my head were it not for the weight -- 10 lbs + w/o scope -- and price tag -- about what a far prettier Ruger No 1 goes far. Throw in the unreleavedly ugly character of the rifle and my "I pass" light goes on.

Hell, if Ruger gave their varmint rifles the same trigger and floating barrel you could get similar results at half the cost, less overall weight, and you would not scare the horses with it either.

wunbe

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
wunbe said:
As a traditionalist with mil/serv dating from the M1 era, I can't like AR style rifles in general but a LR precision bolt gun with a free floated barrel and an adjustable trigger just might turn my head were it not for the weight -- 10 lbs + w/o scope -- and price tag -- about what a far prettier Ruger No 1 goes far. Throw in the unreleavedly ugly character of the rifle and my "I pass" light goes on.

Hell, if Ruger gave their varmint rifles the same trigger and floating barrel you could get similar results at half the cost, less overall weight, and you would not scare the horses with it either.

wunbe

That's why Ruger goes after different markets, good for everybody !

DGW1949

Hunter
I like the idea of Ruger making a true "precision rifle", I understand why they chose to do it with a new platform, and I know that "precision" cost money.
My only question is....is their often spotty QC going to be up to the task of actualy delivering on what they're promising?

DGW

wwb

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
My only question is....is their often spotty QC going to be up to the task of actualy delivering on what they're promising?

DGW

Another question..... if they're going to sell it as a "Precision" rifle, are they going to offer any accuracy guarantee? Most places that claim to sell an accurate rifle will guarantee a certain level of accuracy - usually one MOA or even less (realizing that it could well be load-dependent).

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
wwb said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

Another question..... if they're going to sell it as a "Precision" rifle, are they going to offer any accuracy guarantee? Most places that claim to sell an accurate rifle will guarantee a certain level of accuracy - usually one MOA or even less (realizing that it could well be load-dependent).

Every RAR I have shot will do better than that with the right load, no reason why it won't do much
better.

RSIno1

Hunter
wunbe said:
might turn my head were it not for the weight -- 10 lbs + w/o scope -- and price tag -- about what a far prettier Ruger No 1 goes for. Throw in the unreleavedly ugly character of the rifle and my "I pass" light goes on
+1 I've got a black gun (and it's only 9.4 lb) but prefer blue and walnut like my No1s.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=228

REB

Single-Sixer
PAShooter said:
It doesn't seem like this gun is in the Ruger site for sale. It seems like a lot of hype before they are in production so a guy like me could buy one. I would be interested in the .308. I may check with my local dealer for availability. But I am not going to wait for 16 months like I did for my last gun (non Ruger) ordered.

There are several for sale on gun broker. They were listed the same day Ruger announced them on the web site. I have seen several people claim their local dealers have a few of them.

DGW1949

Hunter
wwb said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW

Well, this aint exactly an accuracy guarantee...but it does carry the implication:
http://ruger.com/micros/rpr/models.html

What I'm saying is that hitting stuff 1,600 Yds away with precision while using an as-issued Ruger is going to require a "bit" more QC than I've ever seen them be able to muster up.

But hey, who knows?...maybe we're entering the dawn of a new era, eh?

DGW

wunbe

Buckeye
A marketing mystery.

What use is there for a 19 lb +,1600 yard capable, .243? Yotes maybe, but even then the round is falling out so fast.... What is the holdover?

wunbe

REB

Single-Sixer
Unless you are putting an 8 pound scope on it I don't know where you are getting 19 pounds??

I agree that 243 may not be the best choice for long range but the 6.5 Creedmoor should do just fine.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
This is a RAR action and a Ruger hammer forged barrel. They are touting the supreme accuracy of this rifle. So if this one is that accurate, how come no other Rugers are.

gtxmonte said:
This is a RAR action and a Ruger hammer forged barrel. They are touting the supreme accuracy of this rifle. So if this one is that accurate, how come no other Rugers are.

Kind of obvious, and a simple answer: no other Ruger rifles are built this way.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
So you think just taking a RAR action and barrel.......tossing it in an alum chassis, immediately makes it a 1/2 MOA rifle

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
gtxmonte said:
So you think just taking a RAR action and barrel.......tossing it in an alum chassis, immediately makes it a 1/2 MOA rifle

Why not, alot of the RAR's out there are with the cheap plastic stock. My 308 will do so with 165 Speer BT, so will my brother's and another I have loaded for.

5 Years ago I would have agreed with you 100%.
Ruger has come along way since they have started making their own barrels among other things.
For factory rifles in the past, I would not even consider a Ruger, have a safe full of M700's, played with Savage, etc. Things change and just saying Rugers are not accurate is outdated.

Here is another Ruger type that has improved in the last 5 years or so.
http://www.realguns.com/articles/567.htm
I load for one of those in 25-06 and it does nearly as well as my Son's 25-06 Sendero.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
wunbe said:

wunbe

My dislike of the AR 15 style results from being issued one +40 years ago. Took me a while to get over it as a full auto rattle trap & eventually buy an AR. I still by & far prefer wood & blued steel, the older the better.

My slightly to much younger co-shooters love these sorts of rifles, I view them as a tool of efficiency so long as they shoot well. No way I'm going to like one of these in the same way I like my NRA Sporter, Winchester 70 with Litschert scope or Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1952. Not even the various 77V rifles, which have thus far done pretty well for me. I have the 223, 25.06 and 6.5 Creedmoor. But I'm inclined to pick one up. Because I think they'll be accurate and unlike so many other similar guns, are reasonably priced. And it seems to be will thought out. Given the chamberings switching barrels is all that's required to go from 308 to 6.5 to 243. Although I would prefer 6mm Remington over 243.

It would also appear that this thing takes DPMS style AR 10 magazines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9axtjT_tkg