Ruger's "Mystery" gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

c.r.

Single-Sixer
i'm going to go on record and put it in writing.

I believe the "mystery gun" is going to be a .327 magnum on the NM Flattop platform. It might even be a convertable with a 32-20 cylinder.

****however i do reserve the right to come back and delete this post if i'm wrong. :lol:

~c.r.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Stoots":d2aaz6db said:
Kevin":d2aaz6db said:
I don't know...every other company is going tactical. Especially EBRs in .22

Ruger's already done this.

:wink:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22/index.html

That gun is truly a joke ... it's a standard 10-22 with an aftermarket tactical stock that's been available for the 10-22 for a few years now. A pitiful and embarassing offering.

REV

Stoots

Buckeye

BlkHawk73

Hunter
So entering a market that's rich in interest is a joke? :roll: Ruger has the 10/22. People put aftermarket stocks on it to make it appear as an AR. Why not simply offer it as such from the get-go?
It's now deemed "pitiful and embarrassing" because the market this variation because the parts have ben available for years. Guess the Target model is also "pitiful and embarrassing" since it came out after the .920 bbls were readily available and people were changing them out. All the different colored laminates stocks must classify those variants as "pitiful and embarrassing" too under that same veil.
If they suddenly offered Blackhawks with really nice grips would that be "pitiful and embarrassing" also? After all such grips have been available for years also. ;)

revhigh

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73":18a74n1s said:
So entering a market that's rich in interest is a joke? :roll: Ruger has the 10/22. People put aftermarket stocks on it to make it appear as an AR. Why not simply offer it as such from the get-go?
It's now deemed "pitiful and embarrassing" because the market this variation because the parts have ben available for years. Guess the Target model is also "pitiful and embarrassing" since it came out after the .920 bbls were readily available and people were changing them out. All the different colored laminates stocks must classify those variants as "pitiful and embarrassing" too under that same veil.
If they suddenly offered Blackhawks with really nice grips would that be "pitiful and embarrassing" also? After all such grips have been available for years also. ;)

At least Colt and S&W designed a rifle from the ground up and created a real AR, they didn't just cobble together existing parts and call it a new gun. I stand by my comments. A pitiful effort ... AND embarassing. Entering the market like that IS a joke.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman":2z9yxdjs said:
no, I just don't get it.

Me neither .... and I agree with your assessments of the guns you mentioned as well. Of course Ruger has to keep itself in business, we all expect that, but is this the best they can do ??? Copying existing guns, adding aftermarket parts to existing guns and calling them new releases ... geesh .... pitiful ...

REV

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
revhigh":12n1bjy2 said:
I just bought one of these a few weeks ago ... it's a dedicated 22 AR that was designed from the ground up as an AR. It's a riot to shoot and has about 4 feet of tactical rails that you can hang all kinds of crap on LOL.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... onId=10002

REV

I looked at one. "High strength polymer upper and lower receivers", IMHO... yuck. And, I liked the Colt even less.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
What is with you clowns, I dont have a pic yet, but I have been assured that it is a tactcal montado, with a rail on the frame, the bottom of the grip and on the side of the bbl. chamberedn only in 22 mag.

c.r.":71z7jpo3 said:
i'm going to go on record and put it in writing.

I believe the "mystery gun" is going to be a .327 magnum on the NM Flattop platform. It might even be a convertable with a 32-20 cylinder.

****however i do reserve the right to come back and delete this post if i'm wrong. :lol:

~c.r.

Would love to see this happen.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Unconverted":2688nvsi said:
I looked at one. "High strength polymer upper and lower receivers", IMHO... yuck. And, I liked the Colt even less.

LOL ... good point Unconverted !! I mean that, and it concerned me at first as well !! Then I handled and shot one. The truth is that guns have been made of polymer for 30 + years and they're just fine ... think Glock. It's a low pressure round and there's no stress to the weapon, so the plastic doesn't matter. The S&W is the only one of the two that is made to the true AR design. It breaks down JUST LIKE A REAL AR, which the Colt DOESN'T, it's supposedly more accurate than the Colt, and was close to $200 LESS than the Colt in tacticool trim LOL.

It is what it is, a really fun plinker that's true to the AR design, and is simply a riot to shoot and let others shoot at the range. You have NO IDEA how many people are buying and enjoying this little $400 rifle. I bet 10-12 people have bought this rifle at my range ... usually within a week of shooting one in person. Of course it's nothing to write home about, but it's just plain fun. I put a red dot on it that's co-witnessed to the standard AR front sight, which puts the red dot RIGHT ON TOP OF THE FRONT SIGHT. When people see that their minds are just totally blown and the smiles and shooting begin.

Don't dismiss this really cool little rifle just because the receiver is plastic ... trust me ... try one out !

REV

CraigC

Hawkeye
revhigh":2uks605n said:
A pitiful and embarassing offering.
Sorry rev, but a pitiful and embarassing post! The Nordic Components outer shell is a high quality, all hard anodized piece cut from billet aluminum. It accepts AR-15 furniture, including buttstocks, pistol grips and forends. So what you get is interchangeability with AR parts with the HUGE aftermarket support of the 10/22 with an accurate hammer-forged barrel at a price much less than what it would cost to build one. Like any other 10/22, it can be whatever you want it to be. I've been thinking hard about getting one for a precision build.

Compared to the S&W you bought which is almost entirely constructed of plastic. You can change the trigger but not much else.

revhigh

Hawkeye
CraigC":3u1qb5ja said:
revhigh":3u1qb5ja said:
A pitiful and embarassing offering.
Sorry rev, but a pitiful and embarassing post!

Hi Craig !! I knew I'd catch some flak for that statement !!! :D

I agree that the Nordic stock is a high quality item, but it's still not an AR platform, it just LOOKS like an AR platform. The Colt and S&W are AR platforms with the S&W (oddly enough) being more true to the original Colt AR design, in terms of takedown, cleaning, and working on them. I wanted an AR, not a 10-22 gussied up with cosmetics that have been available for a few years now. I'm not discounting the excellence of the 10-22 platform whatsoever, but I didn't WANT a 10-22. After examining the Colt .22 M4, the S&W 15-22, and the Spikes upper to mount on my regular Colt AR, I decided to go with a dedicated 22 AR. To be honest, I didn't and wouldn't consider the SR22 even in the running, because it's not an AR, it's a 10-22.

Merry Christmas abd Happy New Years Craig !! Haven't seen you around here for quite some time. Glad I could rattle your cage a little !!! :D :D

REV

bronco45

Single-Sixer
Revhigh: you complain about Ruger copying an existing design to build the new 22.

Ruger also copied existing designs to build the Standard Auto 22, the Blackhawk, The #1 & #3 rifles.

Ruger has produced millions of modern design weapons that easily outshine most of the 19th century weapons they borrowed their looks from.

I've been a Smith shooter and carrier for 30+ years but the gun that is fast becoming my favorite is the Lipsey's 44 Spl. To me it is the epitome of field six gun design and the 624s and 29s have been relegated to the bottom of the safe.

revhigh

Hawkeye
bronco45":3bpke2oe said:
Ruger also copied existing designs to build the Standard Auto 22, the Blackhawk, The #1 & #3 rifles.

And your point would be ..... what ????

Copying a design and simply bolting together existing parts and calling it a new gun is just a little different, wouldn't you agree ?

REV

revhigh":2lnqfgjt said:
bronco45":2lnqfgjt said:

And your point would be ..... what ????

Copying a design and simply bolting together existing parts and calling it a new gun is just a little different, wouldn't you agree ?

REV

Yup I would. Same old with a new suit. ps