Ruger's "Mystery" gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh":2mnsqbsa said:
The 15-22 or the Colt could never be converted ... it's a dedicated 22 platform, not an AR lower. Just an FYI.

REV
Yeah, I know, but they don't use 10/22 mags.

I haven't heard definitively whether the Smith and Colt ARs are allowed in restricted states, but I'd think so, especially the Colt, since it uses no real AR parts. I thought the Smith basically was an AR, just with a plastic lower. I just bought a magazine that has a detailed writeup on each--I'll have to take another read of that review.

FWIW, I also own a couple of the old Armi-Jager AP-74s, the Italian-made AR lookalike that dates back to about 1970 or so. Those also have NO AR-compatible parts, including the stocks. They're kinda cool but I prefer shooting my DPMS dedicated .22 M4. ONLY thing I don't like about that gun is the 10-round mags--no one has ever made hi-caps for it (and no other mags will work with it).

revhigh

Hawkeye
Here's an excerpt from a review by Jeff Quinn on Gunblast ...

However, to relieve the suspense, Smith & Wesson definitely got this one right. Not built necessarily to replicate the exact feel of an AR-15 or M4 carbine, the S&W M&P 15-22 has operating controls that are identical to those, and would be a superb understudy to those weapons, but promoting the M&P 15-22 as nothing more than a little brother to an AR would be selling the weapon short. Weighing in on my scale at just five and one-quarter pounds with an empty magazine in place, the S&W has a delightful balance and feel, lighter than its centerfire big brother. The sixteen-inch barrel measures .670 inch its entire length, has no bayonet lug, and is not contoured to affix a grenade launcher. It has no muzzle brake nor any other appendage. I would prefer that the barrel was threaded to accept a sound suppressor, but that is easily corrected for those of us who like to attach such things to reduce the weapon's sound signature. The barrel is slender, straight, and built for accuracy. Both the upper and lower receiver halves on the M&P 15-22 are made from reinforced polymer. The bolt rides smoothly upon steel rails, and the twenty-five round magazine is very well-designed. There is also a ten-round version available where magazine capacity is limited by law. The magazine follower has buttons on both sides to assist in easily loading the magazine. That is very important, and a welcome feature. The magazine also has an activator for the bolt hold-open, to lock the bolt to the rear on an empty magazine. The bolt release works identically to a centerfire AR, as does the charging handle. The hammer is a full-sized AR unit, which really gives the firing pin a healthy smack. There were absolutely no misfires with any ammo tested, as every cartridge rim received a robust dent from the firing pin. This is a weakness with some rimfire AR rifles and conversions, but not with this S&W. Likewise, the extractor and ejector are also well-designed. There were no failures to feed, fire, extract, or eject any cartridge tested. No break-in period, no special cleaning, no fiddling around to find the rifle's favorite ammunition. I just loaded it, fired it, and never cleaned it or added any lubrication. I would have been well-pleased if the rifle had stuttered a bit when new, and settled down later, but this little jewel was one hundred percent reliable, right out of the box.

A lot of my initial shooting was done using the excellent, fully adjustable A2 style aperture sights, which are easily removable, but for accuracy testing, I mounted a Leupold Mark 4 scope atop the upper receiver's integral Picatinny rail. Speaking of rail, there is plenty of it on the M&P 15-22 to make anyone happy. The quad-rail handguard has enough territory to easily mount optical sights, lasers, flashlights, sling attachments, or whatever else one desires. Back to the accuracy testing. I tried every type of .22 Long Rifle ammo that I had available, and accuracy was very good with all tested. Thankfully, the rifle performed very well with my favorite brands, which are the bulk Federal and Winchester hollowpoints that are available for about two and one-half cents per pop. PMC Match turned in the best groups, and would shoot into the same hole at fifty yards, if I could do my part, but for small game hunting and general plinking, I prefer the hollowpoints, and they were almost as accurate. At any rate, this is a match-accurate little carbine, and would make a dandy squirrel rifle. It would also be ideal for competitive matches that use semi-automatic rimfire rifles. After the accuracy testing was done, I started clipping weeds on the range with the little M&P carbine. It worked perfectly, and is much more fun to operate than a weed eater. The trigger pull measured five and one-quarter pounds on the test rifle, which is better than on most AR type rifles. I prefer a bit lighter weight on my rimfires, but that is easily corrected by anyone who is familiar with AR triggers. Also, while not my first choice for self defense, this little carbine would certainly be able to repel anyone who might happen to kick in the back door at night. A face-full of hollowpoints is a good deterrent, and the M&P 15-22 spits them out at a rate of about five per second.

I suspect that many buyers of the 15-22 will do so as an understudy to their centerfire AR rifles, as ammo costs much, much less to feed this little rimfire. You can get a box of 550 .22 Long Rifle cartridges for about thirteen bucks. The same amount of quality 5.56mm or .223 Remington will cost about $250. The savings add up quickly. However, even if you do not own an AR-15 style rifle, the M&P 15-22 is an excellent choice. The six-position buttstock adjusts to fit shooters of all sizes. I often let my five-year-old grandson shoot this type of rifle, and the light recoil and adjustable buttstock, combined with the light weight of this S&W makes it an ideal trainer for youngsters, allowing the rifle to easily grow with the child. Ethan also likes the fact that this M&P 15-22 is very similar to the rifle that his Dad uses at work on the other side of the world. Also, when the child is grown, he will already know how to operate our country's main fighting rifle. In the mean time, the ease of use, lightweight, and accuracy of the M&P 15-22 provides these young shooters with hours of affordable rifle shooting. For those of us who are already grown up, the M&P 15-22 is a very practical, accurate, and reliable rimfire hunting, plinking, and training rifle. A law enforcement agency could pay for one of these rifles in just a couple of days of training one officer on an AR-15 with the savings over the price of buying centerfire ammo.

Another very nice feature of the M&P 15-22 is the price. As of this writing, it lists for a buck under $500, and the rifles are shipping to distributors and dealers now. A version with a ten-round magazine and fixed buttstock will be available soon, for those who live in jurisdictions where such features are required.

The Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 is light, handy, reliable, and accurate. It is built right, and built in the USA. I am buying this one, and recommend this little carbine without hesitation.

REV

piratedude

Single-Sixer
The Colt .22lr is absolute garbage and does not work. It makes Airsoft look good.

The S&W .22lr does not impress me either.

There have been .22lr AR's made for about 30 years which work just fine. The best .22lr upper is the sort sold by Model 1, Spikes Tactical, and other manufacturers which uses the traditional system and uses real AR-15 parts (mostly) including a real AR lower.

The Ruger 10/22 is just another 10/22. Its ok for what it is. I would not buy one. But then I wouldn't buy the Colt or S&W either. If I wanted to buy an AR in .22lr, which I don't, I'd just get a Model 1 upper and use that on one of my many existing AR lowers that I have laying around. I don't need that though because I already have a 10/22 with a bad ass folding stock that works fine and is about 25 years old.

As for Ruger's new product, since no one bought .389 Wolf, how about .423 Remington semi-auto set up like a P-89, only different. It seems about as useful as their other alternative caliber offerings.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Folks, please do net feel offended but I would like to remind you that this is revolver forum and gentleman posted:

c.r.":1sicodea said:
i'm going to go on record and put it in writing.

I believe the "mystery gun" is going to be a .327 magnum on the NM Flattop platform. It might even be a convertable with a 32-20 cylinder.

****however i do reserve the right to come back and delete this post if i'm wrong. :lol:

~c.r.

If Ruger ever makes something like this, I would like to have it in stainless. Yep, blue guns are gorgeous, but stainless is better.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
I've been sitting on this top secret, execs' eyes only photograph for quite awhile now...

Guess I can't get in trouble if I publish it now.

I bring you...

Ruger's Mystery Gun!

65870_88675974_tacticoolAR15.jpg

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
My wife says that we have too much time on our hands (looking at Fishslayer's pic). She may have a point!

8)

sebtool

Blackhawk
kd4rgwml":39zyo346 said:
hope they make a Charger version :roll: :roll: :roll:

Do you mean Charger as in with an integral 'Battery Charger'? A man could go broke buying AAs.....and lithiums....and Cs and Ds..... :(

Does it have an Xbox for down time????? :lol:

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Since all of you want to see the new uber-magnum SA Ruger... here is a sneak picture.

k0751801.jpg

Managing recoil should not be a problem if you aren't a cry baby.

Nickanto

Bearcat
revhigh":1lfrdpdi said:
BlkHawk73":1lfrdpdi said:
So entering a market that's rich in interest is a joke? :roll: Ruger has the 10/22. People put aftermarket stocks on it to make it appear as an AR. Why not simply offer it as such from the get-go?
It's now deemed "pitiful and embarrassing" because the market this variation because the parts have ben available for years. Guess the Target model is also "pitiful and embarrassing" since it came out after the .920 bbls were readily available and people were changing them out. All the different colored laminates stocks must classify those variants as "pitiful and embarrassing" too under that same veil.
If they suddenly offered Blackhawks with really nice grips would that be "pitiful and embarrassing" also? After all such grips have been available for years also. ;)

At least Colt and S&W designed a rifle from the ground up and created a real AR, they didn't just cobble together existing parts and call it a new gun. I stand by my comments. A pitiful effort ... AND embarassing. Entering the market like that IS a joke.

REV

Why would Ruger need to develop another .22 when they already produce the finest .22 ever made in the 10/22. Some people don't want to "build" a 10/22, but like the looks and ergonomics of an AR. So instead of going and buying a 10/22 and swapping out the stock and the barrel, they can just get one of these Your comments on this thread have been EMBARASSING.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nickanto":3g8xtoca said:
they already produce the finest .22 ever made in the 10/22.

LOL !! I stand by my comments ... the 10-22 is a great rifle, agreed ... but the 'finest 22 ever made' ??? .... ROTFLMAO. Obviously your experience with 22's is severely limited ....

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Quarterbore":wfbr7lt0 said:
Boy, I think I would have to stick up for the 10/22 as one of the most popular and versitile desins ever for a 22!

Agreed 100% QB ! But ... 'the finest 22 ever made' ?? Nope. Not even close.

Both my out of the box Marlin 60's will easily outshoot any out of the box 10-22. Are there a million accessories for a 10-22 ... yup, and that's great. Are they reliable and fun guns .... yup. Do they need a fair amount of work to make them shoot well ... yup. By the time you invest enough money to make an out of box 10-22 shoot really well, you have a whole lot of money invested in it. You could have spent that same money on a different gun, and it would still shoot better.

I really like the 10-22, I've owned several over the years ... but it is what it is, and it aint exactly a tack driver ... anyone who's ever owned 10-22's would have to admit that ... if they're honest.

REV