Ruger's Best Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I guess I'll be the only one to say it - the Vaquero. If you pack it around a ton, you have zero worries about the sights being damaged. They are strong as tanks. And of course, they look the best - at least to a cowboy!

5of7

Hunter
If you are asking which one I like the best, then in my collection, it would be the Redhawk in .45 LC w/4.2" barrel.

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
:D I think Elmer Keith said the Super Blackhawk was the best (correct me if I am wrong). Bill liked Elmer and think he would say that the SB was the pinnacle of Ruger's revolver line (at least single action). The short 4.75 inch stainless 44 magnum is my favorite one (it's 44 magnum!) and balances better than any other for me. The new Bisley's in .480 and .454 have better SS and recessed cylinders , the 6.5 inch balances perfect in my hand but just a little more power than I am used to. The BH was the start that allowed the Super to happen

Sugar River

Buckeye
From an engineering/design point of view it would have to be the GP100/SP101/SRH Alaskan which are evolutions of the original Redhawk. The three point locking system, the two piece ejector and the stud grip frame are all major improvements over the previous century of revolver designs. Each of those features addresses a major concern with reliability/shootability.

That said, my go to field sidearm is a Blackhawk 41 Mag.

Sugar River said:
From an engineering/design point of view it would have to be the GP100/SP101/SRH Alaskan which are evolutions of the original Redhawk. The three point locking system, the two piece ejector and the stud grip frame are all major improvements over the previous century of revolver designs. Each of those features addresses a major concern with reliability/shootability.

This is what I was looking for when I started the thread. I've not owned either of the three you mentioned, so can you mention if there are any design differences between these or are they basically the same design but just sized differently with the GP100 a standard size for most hand sizes, the SRH for powerful big bores, and the SP101 for women?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:

That said, my go to field sidearm is a Blackhawk 41 Mag.

The Redhawk does have a three point locking system. Direct quote from Ruger's Redhawk description: "Triple-locking cylinder is locked into the frame at the front, rear and bottom for more positive alignment and dependable operation shot after shot."

Furthermore, many people (and I am one) prefer the grip frame of the Redhawk over the stud grip.

Sugar River

Buckeye
seasterl said:
Sugar River said:

This is what I was looking for when I started the thread. I've not owned either of the three you mentioned, so can you mention if there are any design differences between these or are they basically the same design but just sized differently with the GP100 a standard size for most hand sizes, the SRH for powerful big bores, and the SP101 for women?

Well not quite. The 3 DAs (GP, SP, and SRH) are nearly identical except for size. I would say the SP is more intended for concealed carry although would be good for women too. I specified the SRH Alaskan because it doesn't utilize that funky barrel set up of the regular SRH.

DHD

Single-Sixer
I didn't know that Ruger made double actions so this is an educational thread.....

BLACKHAWK!

Just kidding about the DA's (I knew they made a few Redhawk's at one time).

SINGLE SIX!

Rclark

Hunter
Blackhawk (Single six is just a scaled down BH, or you might also say the BH is scaled up Single Six) -- Well designed, simple to use, simple to disassemble, very strong, very useful in whatever caliber you are comfortable with. Would not be without one. The DAs are just a side show in comparison.

tinman

Buckeye
Snowninja said:
contender said:
The Blackhawk.
The anchor of their revolver line.
Agreed, I feel he'd be very proud of the fact that there are "Ruger Only" loads.

I am proud to own a piece of machinery that has that designation assigned to it.
Well done Bill, very well done!

paboxcall

Bearcat
Rclark said:
Blackhawk (Single six is just a scaled down BH, or you might also say the BH is scaled up Single Six) -- Well designed, simple to use, simple to disassemble, very strong, very useful in whatever caliber you are comfortable with. Would not be without one. The DAs are just a side show in comparison.

Agree, the Blackhawk. Just a workhorse of a design.

44RED

Bearcat
Best ????

So I am supposed to pick a favorite between Security, Service, and Speed Sixes.. between Bisleys, between Blackhawks, even GP 100's and .22 Bisleys and Single Sixes ????? Really ??

Ruger made a bunch of BEST :)