Ruger's Best Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've owned Ruger NM Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Vaqueros (original and "New"), and a Redhawk, but I've never owned a Super Redhawk, GP-100, or SP-101. Some of you have owned all them in multiple cartridges and barrel lengths and various finishes and configurations. I know that some of these models may have been designed more for a specific purpose than a different model. Which model would you say that Ruger would be most proud of and would consider it their best model for what it does from the perspective of design and execution and retains high quality, reliability, and accuracy? For example, you might argue that a short-barreled Super Redhawk Alaskan represents the pinnacle of their best design on paper, perfectly executed in manufacturing with no design flaws, extremely reliable, accurate, and even lends itself well to plinking, self-defense, and hunting. Or, another might argue their SP-101 betters the rest of them and even more useful. Granted, a double-action would arguably be better than a single-action model for self defense, but I'm trying to avoid that type of comparison. But, one "might" say that Ruger does a better job of chamber-to-bore alignment with their single-actions than their double-actions, and hence, give advantage to that design. So what would you say would be the revolver from Ruger that puts their best foot forward? Feel free to add an honorable mention, but not more than that. Also, please don't comment unless you have had plenty of experience with all of their models? I will refrain from posting since I've not experienced them all. Lastly, try not to ding a model just because it's too big or small (doesn't fit your hand). Thanks!

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
The Blackhawk is their quintessential masterpiece. My favorite however is the Redhawk, but the Blackhawk is the classic.

Security Six, slight edge over the Blackhawk, it would almost be a coin toss.
GP100s are heavier built than the SS but I think the
quality control was better on the Security Six so I picked
them.
Dave

Reactions: JCK
I'll submit the Single-Six (in all its wonderful variations!) for consideration.

Everybody needs AT LEAST one! :p

Ideal users might include:
-kids (supervised, of course)
-new shooters
-small-statured shooters
-trappers
-small game hunters
-plinkers
-collectors
-non-reloaders
-cheapskates
-wannabe cowboys
-real cowboys
-drugstore cowboys
-Western fans (heck, "Eastern fans," too!) :mrgreen:
-range at home/noise is still an issue
-tinkerers/amateur gunsmiths
-real gunsmiths (.38 Special conversion, anyone?)
-those needing an understudy for their "real" gun
-versatile
-Convertibles have been made in both .22LR and .17, plus centerfire in .32 H&R Mag
-shoot .22BB caps or Colibri, all the way up to .32 H&R Mag!
-ski slope employees (thanks for everything, "flatgate!") :p
-etc., etc.

It's the standard by which other 22 single-actions are judged! I've never heard anyone say that their Single-Six is "just as good as a Brand X," but people are CONSTANTLY stating their "Brand X is just as good as a Single-Six."

Grips/springs/sights/holsters are widely available for those who like to tinker. Parts are widely available for New Models. Old Model parts are still out there if you dig just a bit- part of the fun! Aftermarket support for cosmetic or action parts. (Ron Power kits, anyone?)

sixshot

Buckeye
Of all the Ruger classics I'd say for sure the Single Six is the top classic. For a skilled woodsman it can cover almost all the bases & has been used for many conversions. But just as it is it has made many young kids into hand gunners, that alone should put it at the top.

This is a Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar muscle car discussion.

Ruger people who know me know that I like my Ruger DA's (Six series, GP100's, Redhawks, Super Redawks, SP101's, LCR's).

BUT - if someone said to me "Give me a one or two word answer to the following question" and then they said "Ruger handgun?" I would immediately say "Blackhawk". If they said "Ruger pistol?" I would immediately say "Standard Auto (or Mark I)". These, in my opinion, are the firearms that "made" Ruger what it is today.

It would be interesting to ask that question to Bill Ruger in say, 1999, and see what his reply would be.

Actually, it would really be great to ask Mr. Ruger or some on their design team which model they are most proud of from a design and execution (reliability, accuracy,... my original premise). This is a unique thread in that it's not about our favorite revolver or what revolver fits us the most or sells the most or is better for self-defense. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear the votes for the Security Six and not surprised about the Blackhawk and Single Six. While there haven't been many posts yet, I guess I'm a little surprised no one has tried to qualify a GP-100 or SP-101 or Super Redhawk as being the one Ruger could ship to outer space in a Tesla to show aliens how a revolver should be made (regardless of style).

At first I was thinking the Wiley Clapp GP100. But honestly, if it was all that great, why did they stop making it? And, while it's certainly a great looking revolver, I don't think it's the end-all in Ruger's lineup.

Instead, I've got to vote for the Blackhawk as well. It's certainly been around long enough. Others, such as the Security Six and Service Six have come and gone. The Blackhawk has had different variants, but the same basic Blackhawk platform has stood the test of time.

The Single Six. It is what got Ruger into the revolver business and there have been a LOT of them made and sold. The Blackhawk is a great gun but the Single Six is where it all started.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
There's no wrong answer for sure but the gun that always comes to my mind when someone says " Ruger " is automatically a Blackhawk.

5of7

Hunter
I think it depends on what the revolver is for. Obviously there is a huge difference between a concealed carry gun for self defense and a heave large bore revolver for hunting or self defense when out in the boonies. In my opinion, the best Ruger makes is the LCR for the former, and the Redhawk for the latter. 8)