Rugermania

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Waveform

Bearcat
Mike Armstrong said:
I read you about the custom gun business--tough row to hoe, for sure. But (the big BUTT), you might take on a few jobs now and then just to test the waters, and then make it your retirement hobby/business when you get there. Some of us NEED to work, and I'm guessin' you are one.

Especially like the snubbed extractor rod housing on that last GP. Many people who do that job leave too much non-functional metal there. Don't approve of trying to make a GP into a J-frame Smith, but I think it could lose a little weight up front if it's gonna be an everyday carry gun (Wish Ruger would offer the half-lug versions again, but as well as the "fatties" sell, that's not gonna happen! Glad there are guys like you who can MAKE it happen.).

Well thanks again Mike for the kind words. Yeah I wish Ruger would get a little more creative with the GP100. Seems like it takes TALO to get them to move outside the standard product line. There's a lot that could be done to spice up the line in the design department. Granted most of it is just cosmetic and the guns don't really shoot any better for it. But some of us are very visual oriented people and we like interesting looking things.

I'm not looking to retire anytime soon but when I do I expect I'll have more time to tinker with my guns. But I've also learned that one way to ruin a hobby you love is to make it a job (I've learned that lesson the hard way.) I know a retired gunsmith who has forgotten more about guns than I'll ever know and can create anything his mind can envision and he told me after he retired he didn't touch a gun for 2 or 3 years. It just wasn't fun anymore. Eventually that changed and he's enjoying fiddling with things again but it's a good example of what can happen if you're not careful.

I know there's the old expression "If you can make a living doing what you love you'll never work a day in your life." But there may be a flip side to that too if you don't watch out.

Glad you've thought about this stuff. Some don't and that can lead to bad places.

I worked in an office or out of a car my whole life and won't do anything in retirement that doesn't involve being outside with a steel tool in my hands. So far, it's been fun, after nine years.

Waveform

Bearcat
Big Old Boy said:
Welcome over to this side of the street, nice collection as always Wave.
Hey Big Old Boy! Thanks for the welcome - its good to finally be here. I would have joined sooner but the system didn't like my email host back a few years ago when I tried and so I ended up someplace else. Glad to see that's changed and I can participate here now.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Waveform said:
Mike Armstrong said:
Wonderful custom GPs--you need to do that for a livin'! Welcome!

Thanks Mike. I would if I could but I suspect it's kinda like the custom boat business (I'm in the marine field vocationally) where the old joke is the one about the custom boat builder who won the lottery. His friends asked him "What are gonna do with all that money?" and he replied "I'm gonna keep building boats until the money runs out!"

:mrgreen:

Right. Kinda like, "Know how to make $100,000 in the gun business? Start out with $200,000."

Waveform

Bearcat
6GUNSONLY said:
Waveform said:
Mike Armstrong said:
Wonderful custom GPs--you need to do that for a livin'! Welcome!

Thanks Mike. I would if I could but I suspect it's kinda like the custom boat business (I'm in the marine field vocationally) where the old joke is the one about the custom boat builder who won the lottery. His friends asked him "What are gonna do with all that money?" and he replied "I'm gonna keep building boats until the money runs out!"

:mrgreen:

Right. Kinda like, "Know how to make $100,000 in the gun business? Start out with $200,000."

Haha! Exactly! Unless you can charge what the big names fetch there's no money in it. And I bet the big names aren't exactly getting getting rich at it either.

Waveform

Bearcat
TucsonDirt said:
Welcome to the forum Wave!
Always enjoy seeing your guns (a little envious too!)
Thanks for the welcome TucsonDirt! Looks like good Rugering here too.

Latest posts