Ruger XGI .308 Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Interesting, indeed, psy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Makes me wonder if there wasn't a certain amount of "development" work done between the time the original illustrations were made and the ultimate, final design.

:shock:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The John Amber Estate's Factory Press Release Kit (dated 11-15-84)photos show no protrusion of any kind, forward of the gasblock assembly. Therefore, coupled with earlier post comments made on the subject last year, we may assume that later engineering changes were made, as subsequent generations of Ruger engineers were challenged to make the design more successful............ 8)

tommyjoe

Bearcat
Mike thatis a funnier story about Mr. Ruger then you know. I was gone from Jensen's by that time and never heard that story before. H had been in the store on two other occasions and we talked to him about becoming a Ruger distributor but since we were a big time Smith distributor it never came to be. The first time he wa in he was with Pete Brown, I beleieve Pete wae the gun editor for Sport's Afield at the time and Ruger had just done the revision to the 77 where the stock had the big flats on both sides of the barrel. We had just got them in and they were really terrible! I pointed them out to him and commented on how poorly the new stock looked and felt. He said he didn't know anything about it and would look into it. As we all know nothing happened about the stock for many years.
The secont time he was down we had just recieved the new catalouge and the Mini-14 was listed in 7.62x39. Whe we complimented them on chambering that round his reaction was pretty much the same. He said "I told them not to do that. I wasn't sure about doing it yet" and he appeared to be pretty angry.
With what I learned about him later I have a hard time believing he didn't know well ahead of time that those guns were going into the catalouge. .

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
TommyJoe, I have many fond memories of the Jensen operation, it's many staff members and the myriad of firearms I purchased. On one 0ccasion, Bob Jensen told me he should go public and sell me stock in the business, based on my frequent visits and many purchases.......Seems like yesterday........... 8)

I just came across a 1986 Ruger "product catalog". On pages 14-15 is a descriptive write-up of the XGI in all its splendor, offered in .243 and/or .308 chamberings.

The nice illustration does in fact show the "protrusion" under the barrel in front of the gas block area, carrying the description "A modified gas block incorporates a cutoff and expansion-type gas system which proved so successful in the U.S. M14 service rifle."

Hmmmmm.

:?:

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
I enjoyed learning about this rifle. If it is 30caliber and self loads I tend to like it. Thanks for sharing your stories and your literature. Still not sure if the final version had a discrete piston/gas cylinder(M14) configuration or if the piston head was on the end of the op rod(Garand). And what was the cutoff for? launching grenades.. Perhaps it would be an oversimplication to suggest they came up short trying to reinvent the wheel. :shock: :lol:
M1A9122.jpg