Ruger with ATI Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NOTPARS

Bearcat
I handled a Ruger mini 14 at a gun show with the stock that no only collapses but folds to the side. I have been looking for such a rifle to wear under a long coat, down my back, when I go hiking. I hike a lot of places. Some are kind of remote. I am running into more and more signs of poachers. Some, shooting from private land, seem to be getting very close to the public no hunting hiking trails. Some cross over. I met one possible poacher and he set off every alarm in my body. Anyway, I checked with Ruger and this rfile comes with sling studs. What I forgot to ask was, with the stock collapsed and folded, how long is it? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Don't know how you measured that...

A mini-14 with a 16" barrel measures 27.75 inches with the ATI stock folded... I'm measuring to the tip of the pistol grip which sticks out further than the back of the hinge.... if it's an 18" barrel, you do the math.

With all that said, for the use you are describing... the ATI stock is bulky as all get out, especially when folded up. I personally think you would like a Butler Creek folder a lot better.... The only advantage to an ATI stock is you can hang all kinds of things from the front of it and the rear of the stock is adjustable and more like an AR.

NCLivingBrit

Bearcat
blume357":3j8zadp9 said:
Don't know how you measured that...

A mini-14 with a 16" barrel measures 27.75 inches with the ATI stock folded... I'm measuring to the tip of the pistol grip which sticks out further than the back of the hinge.... if it's an 18" barrel, you do the math.

With all that said, for the use you are describing... the ATI stock is bulky as all get out, especially when folded up. I personally think you would like a Butler Creek folder a lot better.... The only advantage to an ATI stock is you can hang all kinds of things from the front of it and the rear of the stock is adjustable and more like an AR.

I have yet to be impressed with any ATI folding stock. I've had three so far (Mossberg 500, SKS, AK) and all of them have been wobbly and ugly as sin. I'd stick with the Butler Creek or a Choate myself, it's what I plan for the Mini 30 I am picking up tomorrow.

The only reason I put the ATI on one of my minis is because the iron sights on the rifle would not adjust .... bad barrel or front sight or something.... with the ATI you can put a optic on the top of the stock... how well that works over time and lots of shooting, I'm not sure.

As I've said the Butler Creek is a better choice... or a Choate, which I actually prefer on blued rifles. The only advantage the Butler Creeks have is they are a little less bulky and you can get stainless ones for a stainless rifle... I've heard rumor that the Butler Creeks are made somewhere else, not in the U.S.A. but am not sure... I know Choates are.

I've got the mini 14 with the ATI - works fine for me. I would recomend getting a tactical sling and try several postions to carry it. I don't think you will like having it bounce around on your back. Good luck, Dave

NOTPARS

Bearcat
Thanks, that really helps. this is not doable if it is much more than 30" long folded and won't accept a sling. The back carry method was partly dictated by the type of clothing and the need to keep this inconspicuous. Mostly a winter option. I seldom encounter anyone where I go in the winter...except poachers, and people who seem to be shooting awful close to the public boundary. They leave cigarettes, Bud Lite beer cans, trash, and spent shotgun and rifle shells on the trails from time to time where it is illegal to do all of the above. I have even found fresh hunting arrows stuck in the ground and trees shot from the woods of private property. I have stores about shooting, helicopters (not black), cops and stuff over on the private property side. Who knows what goes on over there. Some are hillbillies.

NOTPARS

Bearcat
Thanks for taking the time to answer as this is a big help. I looked up the Butler creek rig in a catalogue and you are right. It does not have the ATI's front end to hang stuff from, but, its metal stock folds up better and flat. Can a sling be applied to this stock? What is nice is that it has the ATI's pistol grip. Do you know how long the rifle would be with the stock folded as the standard mini has around an 18.5" barrel as opposed to the ATI's 16.1"? Again, great reply.