Ruger vs. Uberti

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have several .45 Colt revolvers, and some time back decided to compare a Ruger Blackhawk to a Uberti Flat Top. Both revolvers have decent sights, the Uberti has a 4 3/4" barrel, and the Blackhawk in a New Model with a 4 5/8" burrel. I shot these two groups on an indoor range. The bench was not steady enough to bench rest my shooting so had to shoot standing with a two hand hold.

Not too sure what this proves, as the front sight on the Uberti is nickel silver blade, while Ruger has the Baughman type front sight of blue steel. As I recall, I shot five rounds alternately from each revolver.

Bob Wright

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
...Not too sure what this proves, as the front sight on the Uberti is nickel silver blade, while Ruger has the Baughman type front sight of blue steel. As I recall, I shot five rounds alternately from each revolver.

Bob Wright

Well, if nothing else, it's a reminder that a load that shoots well in one firearm, may not shoot equally well in another. That can even be true if they're both from the same manufacturer. That's a good enough reason to try multiple different brands/bullet weights if you stick with factory ammo, and also a good reason to try different bullets, propellants, etc. if you reload!
:)

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I have had four 45 Colt Uberti SAA repros, and they all shot remarkably well; groups of 2 1/2 inches at 25 yards were the norm using handloads with a 260 grain flat base RNFP I cast and Titegroup powder. The bullet and lube were soft, and the powder charge was a little above middle-of-the-road. Most of the 45 Colt Ruger Vaqueros I've owned (been several) shot a little better (2 to 2 1/4"), with the exception of one, and that shot like a match rifle. 😉 Okay, not really, but the gun was capable of sub-inch at 25 yards with the same bullet and powder, but closer to a top-end load. That being said, a couple of 45 Colt SAAs assembled by USFA using Uberti components have been consistently sub-2" guns, so their barrels are obviously good.

I don't know Bob. It looks like your Ruger shot the bad guy in the nutz to just make him more angry at you. While the Uberti pretty much put him out of his misery.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Must be why the Ruger is the Pistol of choice for the SASS shooters :)
That is a nice stout load you are shooting fer sure.
I use 231 and 700X BUT 200 gr. and 4.0-4.5 in 1911 and 45 Colts.
Both are acceptable for SASS shooting. Wonder how a Vaquero would fare?

ps: I shot Colt SAAs. I shot 250 gr RNFPs with Titegroup (or 777)