ruger vaquero wanted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help locate a Ruger "old model" Vaquero 357 4 5/8 blue.

EDK

Single-Sixer
There's usually a couple listed on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com. The stainless 357s in 4 5/8 seem to be more available.

The prices are getting better in the last few days...and a lot of stuff is showing up as the holidays approach....or the economy continues to scare people.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Redunant I know but there's Vaqueros and New Vaqueros. There are NO "OLD MODEL" Vaqueros.

Aside from the on-line sites mentioned by EDK, check your local shops. seems ppl are letting the extra guns go now with the current state ofthe economy.

JohnnyRingo

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":1djxe39t said:
Redunant I know but there's Vaqueros and New Vaqueros. There are NO "OLD MODEL" Vaqueros.

Aside from the on-line sites mentioned by EDK, check your local shops. seems ppl are letting the extra guns go now with the current state ofthe economy.
i know this is an old thread, but chit, it cracks me up when that issue comes up. those of us who shoot vaquero pistols often know there isnt an actual designation as old model, but hell, even when you call ruger for parts or info on the vaquero, their own service techs ask you "do you have the OLD model or the NEW MODEL vaquero"

Ive called several parts distributors in the past for ruger vaquero parts, first thing they ask is "is your vaquero the old model or the NEW MODEL"

people who dont know much about the vaquero know them as "old model and new model" so personally, i dont see what the big ass deal is on the issue.

thats like the 45 colt cartridge. its actually 45 colt, but every one knows it as "45 long colt" ( which isnt even a cartridge), and everyone knows what they are referring to. personally i dont see it as an issue. ive owned and been shooting vaqueros since they hit the market originally, and even i call them old and new vaquero.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Words mean things. Words are how we communicate.
When the correct terminology is used there is NO confusion. When incorrect terminology is used there is usually much confusion.

No such thing as an old model Vaquero or a new model Vaquero. All Vaqueros are New Models.

And there is no such thing as the .45 long Colt. Just a nick name that has outlived it's usefulness.

Vaquero, New Vaquero, .45 Colt. Simple, to the point, and accurate. No confusion.

Joe

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
It is not so funny if the guy standing next to you, or your child, is shooting 300 grain bullets at 1500 fps. I think it is a serious problem.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
ONLY some of us "collectors" seem to get their shorts up in a snit, cause in the 'real world', as pointed out above, when it comes time to get info,parts, service, the terms "old and new model" will always come up.........I get it ALL day ,everyday, at any given show, and they will only look at you like a deer in the headlights if you try and "correct" them,,,,,no more for me,save that for the grade school teachers,when its not "current" , its "old" ...........geesh :roll:

caryc

Hawkeye
JohnnyRingo":1adc6wn0 said:
i know this is an old thread, but chit, it cracks me up when that issue comes up. those of us who shoot vaquero pistols often know there isnt an actual designation as old model, but hell, even when you call ruger for parts or info on the vaquero, their own service techs ask you "do you have the OLD model or the NEW MODEL vaquero"

Those same service techs (phone clerks) will also tell you that the plastic grips that come on the current Blackhawks with the internal locks will not fit the older Blackhawks without the locks.

Guess what? Those service techs are wrong.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
rugerguy":3rgqk0vz said:
ONLY some of us "collectors" seem to get their shorts up in a snit, cause in the 'real world', as pointed out above, when it comes time to get info,parts, service, the terms "old and new model" will always come up.........I get it ALL day ,everyday, at any given show, and they will only look at you like a deer in the headlights if you try and "correct" them,,,,,no more for me,save that for the grade school teachers,when its not "current" , its "old" ...........geesh :roll:

+1.

When it gets right down to it, the Blackhawk was given similar designations.

An "old model" Blackhawk is marked "Ruger Blackhawk". A "New Model Blackhawk" is marked accordingly. A Vaquero is marked "Ruger Vaquero", and a "New Vaquero" is marked accordingly. In both cases, for there to be a "new" anything, there becomes an old one.

And while the differences between "new" and "old" are different between the two models, the differences still exist between "new" and "old" of the respective models.

When seeking parts, or considering maximum load data, it's important to distinguish one from the other. Naturally, most folks simply refer to the earlier model as the "old" one.

The first thing anyone should do when offering or seeking information about a firearm is to first identify the make and model of the gun. Once that is done, the differences between a new or old model will become obvious to anyone qualified to give the needed information.

Arguing about the designations is nothing but bull-hockey, and only serves to further confuse anyone with limited experience.

Daryl

Maybe we should say "original" Vaquero, if that makes it clearer. I agree with AzRebel. The old model Balckhawk is in the same boat, and the terminology just serves to better ID which is under discussion. I see no problem with it. Maybe it sould be banned that the 'O' in old not be capitalized, therefore it will be descriptive instead of a part of the nomenclature.

"Arguing about the designations is nothing but bull-hockey, and only serves to further confuse anyone with limited experience. "

AFAIC- Daryl got it right.

Wonder if Larry got his Vaquero or did we run him off?

caryc

Hawkeye
I always ask customers one simple question. What does it say on the cylinder frame?

So far it's been pretty fool proof.

This arguing back and forth about what they are is getting soooooo boring, but I guess it's never going to stop.

I tell them to bring it in, and SEE just what it is they do have have on their gu n for a grip frame ,many have been getting swapped around for years, so only know for sure when one "sees" it, maybe even 'try one one, and show the owner...then a little light seems to come on..... :roll:

Rclark

Hunter
I guess it's never going to stop.
There is nothing wrong with just saying 'old' Vaquero and 'new' Vaquero when referring to the Vaquero and New Vaqeruo. Just leave the word 'model' out of the communication and everyone is 'happy'. Seems sooooo simple :) . Man always does seem to what to 'complicate' things though. Same goes for the .45 Colt and it's incorrect alias '.45 long colt'.

caryc

Hawkeye
Rclark":1hiun91d said:
I guess it's never going to stop.
There is nothing wrong with just saying 'old' Vaquero and 'new' Vaquero when referring to the Vaquero and New Vaqeruo. Just leave the word 'model' out of the communication and everyone is 'happy'. Seems sooooo simple :) . Man always does seem to what to 'complicate' things though. Same goes for the .45 Colt and it's incorrect alias '.45 long colt'.

Yeah, but the trouble is that when someone says .45 long colt, you know exactly which one they mean even it you don't like it. Like you said it ain't ever gonna' stop. :wink:

w5lx

Single-Sixer
larry110":26h1tyjs said:
I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help locate a Ruger "old model" Vaquero 357 4 5/8 blue.

Why do threads that ask a simple question always end up arguing about whether it's called a Vaquero or an "old Vaquero?"

Back to the OP's question: I see lots of Vaqueros (both versions) listed on the for-sale forums at Glocktalk, Highroad, Firing Line, AR15 and all the Ruger forums. There are also dozens of them at the local gun shows here in the DFW area. I buy only face-to-face so won't buy one off the forums sight unseen. Good luck with your search.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Any reason you want a Vaquero over a New Vaquero? The New Vaquero in 357 would do anything the Vaquero in 357 would. Now if you are planning to make it into your own 44 special or you just want the Vaquero then go for it.

caryc

Hawkeye
w5lx":1pmnpi7u said:
larry110":1pmnpi7u said:

Why do threads that ask a simple question always end up arguing about whether it's called a Vaquero or an "old Vaquero?"

Back to the OP's question: I see lots of Vaqueros (both versions) listed on the for-sale forums at Glocktalk, Highroad, Firing Line, AR15 and all the Ruger forums. There are also dozens of them at the local gun shows here in the DFW area. I buy only face-to-face so won't buy one off the forums sight unseen. Good luck with your search.

It's very simple. There is a "New Vaquero" but there is not an "Old Vaquero". Like I said, look at what it says on the side of the guns. By the way, you're contributing to the argument too. :wink:

There is a "New York" and "New Hampshire" and a "New Mexico" but there never was an Old York or Old Hampshire or Old Mexico.

Show me where it says Old York or Old Hampshire or Old Mexico on any map.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
How many of the "old timers" here on the forum, remember the big article done in one of the major gun magazines back in the 60', or 70's. It had examples of cartridge boxes gathered from various cartridge collectors that showed pictures of cartridge boxes from Colt Firearms, labeled "45 Long Colt"?
I get a big laugh every time this nonsense comes up.

EarlFH