Ruger Vaquero Davidson model no cylinder ser number? 2002 L

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
I have a 2002 Davidson vaqueiro Ruger serial number on box 0 58 - xxxx serial number on frame 58 - x x x x large frame gun looking at the cylinder I see no serial number on it like my other ruger's this is a large frame vaqu eiro in 45 Long Colt is this how it was done in 2002 or can someone add to this mystery for me . There is a single s stamped on the ratchet side of the cylinder nothing at all on the front side of the cylinder this is one of the davisons short-barreled three and three quarter inch blued gun f o e case-hardened frame finish gun looks on fired except from the factory . Inner cylinders look from the factory not polished and smooth pretty Darn rough and yes they are running tight don't know if any of this additional information will help with my no serial number on cylinder question thank you! George

I've got one very similar. Don't know for sure if it's a Davidson's, but it's a 57 Series (looks to be a 1999 gun) Vaquero in 45 Long Colt, mine is NIB still, it is exactly like yours, however, I wouldn't call the inside of the cylinder "Darn rough" just not polished. The cylinder has a single "S" on the face of it. I haven't measured it, but I suspect some got out with tight cylinders but that's true on many guns, not just vaquero's. I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but it sounds like a legitimate gun.

George

Blackhawk
Sorry, my question was really is it usual for the cylinders to go out without serial numbers on them hence why I just describe the S on the ratchet side. Yes I know a lot of the 45 are tight in the cylinder throats.. My gun was sold to me as used but was given to be sold as it was unfired safe Queen never fired gun! Everywhere I look on the gun tells me this gun was not fired other than maybe a few shots at the factory. It's perfect in every way that I can see. Davison also an unusual thing for this gun put a it looks like some type of finish not sure if it's kuroki on the front and back side of the hammer and on the backside of the trigger and front side of the trigger makes the trigger look like it has been porcelain coated the same color as the bluing on a gun! I'm assuming that's a Davison thing for this model gun! If you need any other info I will supply it just ask. Sorry for the typos I'm using voice to text on my phone very hard to correct very hard to even see it! Also this is a bird's-eye grip frame Edition model on the box is 00511 Davidson Thanks! George

hittman

Staff member
Did they number cylinders that were not on a "convertible" model?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
George,

Why do you think the serial # should be on the cyl for a 2002 model?

Except for convertable models Ruger did not serialize cyls until the last five years. And the barrel and grip frame is numbered as well, so if they aren't numbered, the cyl will not be either.

Did you buy the gun new? Ruger does not use porcelain or any other thing else on it's guns, even for Davidson's or any other of its distributors.

If you didn't buy it new, and you still suspect a different finish on some parts, it was clearly done aftermarket by a previous owner.

And just FYI: yours has a 'birdshead' grip frame.

George

Blackhawk
Jim thank you for your reply! Not that I think the cylinder should be serialized just was concerned that it wasn't, my lack of knowledge! Also the coating on the back surface and front surface of the trigger back surface and working surface of the hammer does look like porcelain that has me puzzled? Everything appears to be in perfect condition in fact appearance-wise most impressed from Ruger how this gun looks. I bought it as a used gun though the guy that sold it to me said he knew the guy that bought the gun originally in 2002 and it was on fire. It's a safe Queen everything as is as was in the box from Ruger including the unfired case dated 2002 I want to say 5 - 16 - 2002 again I thought the coding was from one of the companies like Davidson as it has a Davidson's envelope in the Box. To the best of the sellers knowledge this is untouched gun so again very confused about the coating on the trigger and Hammer very nice but confusing! George

George, Mine apparently has the same hammer and trigger as yours. Older models had a dark blue/black on the front of the hammer, and same as the trigger but the sides and back are regular steel. I'm not hearing anything different than mine has. Nice guns for sure. Thinking about selling mine to help get a rental paid off, if you are looking for a duplicate.

FWIW, personally I think people get too worked up over the size of the cylinder mouths without shooting the gun to see, how it shoots. Just MHO.

Mine is model # 00528 so you know. BNV-453

George

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack, thank you for this information yes it does appear we have the same type guns for sure! Sharp-looking gun! Out of curiosity what be the asking price of my duplicate? As far as the cylinder throats go. My eyes are old if I can keep a 3 inch group at 25 yards with this short-barreled gun that'll satisfy me! I have a stainless steel new model mid-frame 45 convertible that will shoot that with ease and the throats are tight on both of those cylinders! Have not shot this gun yet! Thank you! George

George, my pleasure when I read yours I thought "that sounds familiar" and went and found mine. Just a coincidence. Jim said yours was a birds head frame. Mine is a plow handle. All I can do is give you my best guess as I haven't advertised mine yet. I'm thinking between $550 and $600, but I've been wrong before. This market is really screwy and it varies a lot with the different areas. The tough thing is most of these guns are held by older guys (speaking for myself) and the younger guys just don't have the same interest in them. The good news is they are worth more today than they will probably ever be worth again. The bad news is, if you wait, to sell you probably won't get as good a price. I think they are great looking guns. I love mine, but I am on a mission to pay off one of my rental properties, so may let it go.

George

Blackhawk
Bear paw Jack, thank you for throwing some numbers at me! We are getting a little off topic here that's my fault. I get on my computer every once in awhile and when I do I will send you a p.m. . Last of my stash, money was spent last week on this gun that we were just discussing. Or feel free to leave me a p.m. waiting for me I use this phone most of the time I shouldn't cuz it messes up really bad! Thank you! Plow grip handle version of the same gun would be interesting indeed! George

Latest posts