Ruger vaquero cylinder throat too tight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
I just put a Speer LSWC 250 bullet into my cylinder and i could not push it put at the throat. It wasn't even thinking about budging as I pushed on it with the cylinder pin. Manual Speer # lists it as .452. My caliper says the same, I've been shooting these pretty frequently through my ruger. Even the force cone is tight.

i just tried the same thing with a .451 FMJ 230 gr bullet. Same results.

I'm told this is a common problem with Rugers. Who fixes this? Ruger or local gunsmith?

I've fired bullets from this for years snd have only recently become aware of this

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Very common. Simple repair, ream throats to .453". And no more leading. Improved accuracy. At least on 4 of my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks. I bought reamer and pilots from Brownells.

Enigma

Hunter
Doug.38PR said:
I just have to ask: why did Ruger design it this way? It's the incorrect size. Too small for the .45 caliber bullet and is potentially dangerous

If you actually measure all six chamber throats, they're probably different sizes. Ruger chambers cylinders with a 'gang' reamer assembly, consisting of three reamers. They ream three chambers, rotate the reamer or cylinder and ream the other three. The reamers are replaced when they reach a predetermined size. Hence, you would normally find 3 different size reamers on one gang reamer assembly. Why does .450" seem to be the largest diameter? I don't think anyone outside of whoever orders the reamers for Ruger knows the answer to that question.

Forum member DougGuy also reams cylinder throats at a reasonable cost and quick turnaround.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
Well, I dunno about it being potentially dangerous, takes a LOT of over-pressure to be dangerous in the Ruger revolver, obstructed barrel, dbl charge of Bullseye, but not a tight cylinder throat. If you would like to send a PM I will provide you with details and cost.

I have pretty much gotten away from using reamers all together, I use my Sunnen hone almost exclusively on Ruger cylinders these days, the heat treatment and hardness of these cylinders is so inconsistent, the Sunnen hone is the only way to size them consistently, as the reamer will actually cut a larger throat in a softer cylinder and a smaller throat in a hard cylinder, been here done this hundreds of times, this is my experience with Manson reamers and you can document it with pin gages or a dial bore gage both of which I use.

This is also a contributing factor to the widely varied throat diameters in the same cylinder, not only reamers of various stages of wear, but the cylinder itself being harder on one side or even one throat than the other side of the cylinder. Strange but true!

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I reamed my Vaquero 45LC throats out so that the bullet I shoot in it will easily push through but not fall through. It really improved the accuracy of this revolver.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Emory paper wrapped around a split dowel rod works just fine.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Emory paper wrapped around a split dowel rod works just fine."

Improperly done, you can make the hole "out of round" and it NOT be a good job. Doug or Fermin can do a PROPER job,, AND it's well worth the money. They do not charge a whole lot. And it's MUCH cheaper than replacing a cylinder.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Thank you guys for all your nice words. If anybody has any questions just call me directly. I'm happy to help.
Fermin
361-960-3697