Ruger Vaquero 7 1/2" barrell-Any Problems With Sights?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anthony Orr

Bearcat
I have my eye on a Ruger Vaquero with a 7 1/2" barrell, but I'm worried about the fixed sights. Do they all shoot "on", or am I going to have to aim say at 7 o'clock, 6 inches low with mine to hit the bulls eye?

With me the Vaquero is an emotional thing, I just gotta have one, but my head is saying get the Blackhawk with the adjustable sights.

Anyone have a problem with the Vaquero sights?

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's a "crap shoot", IMHO.

I have a couple Vaqueros/New Vaqueros as part of my collection but I shoot Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks and Single-Sixes that have adjustable sights, or, in the case of the OM Single-Six, at least a drift adjustable rear sight.

JMHO,

flatgate

EDK

Single-Sixer
I've got Original Size VAQUEROS and BISLEY VAQUEROS in 357 and 44, mostly 5.5 inch barrels. Like all of them, my 7.5 inch 44s shoot close to point of aim....the less than visible sights don't allow precision. Some black paint on the sights and hog wallow rear help a lot, but my SUPER BLACK HAWKS will group 2/3d or 1/2 what the VAQUEROS do with the same ammunition. If I had a machine rest/Ransom Rest, it would be interesting to test the guns for accuracy.

The 7.5 inch VAQUEROS are the rarest...less than 10% according to some sources. My 44s have a HUNTER grip frame and a 2.5 pound trigger job by Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION.) I'd buy another in a heartbeat!

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
All 6 of my Vaquero's shoot near center for me . I use the pinky under the grip on all my SA to control the roll , which keeps the groups centered and makes for a fast follow up shot .

Picture948.jpg

4e7d8761.jpg

Rainman

Blackhawk
I have to agree with Flatgate, it is a crapshoot. I have a 7.5" SS 44-40 Vaquero that shoot like a rifle to point of aim- especally after Cylindersmith throated it properly.

I also have a 4 5/8" Lipsey's 44 special Flattop that shoots so far to the left that it could almost shoot around a corner even with the sight adjusted to the maximum.

For the most part though, Vaqueros that I own or have owned shoot pretty close to POA.

Dan

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i generally prefer the adjustable sights if for nothing more than the improved sight picture. The adjustable sights don't guarantee that you can sight it in, though .... my 6.5" single-six shoots high even with the rear bottomed-out. ditto for my .32 sp101 (although that one doesnt have elevation adjustment).

my one experience with ruger fixed sights was a .32 single-six vaquero that shot 2-3" horizontally off and several inches low. i sent it back to ruger for correction and they "broke" it and sent me the sp101. apparently i didnt learn my lesson, cause now i have another .32 single-six vaquero on order.

have an old army w/ fixed sights that i have yet to shoot. im hoping for the best.

Rclark

Hunter
Anyone have a problem with the Vaquero sights?
Mine shoots a high and to the left. Each gun is going to be different AND it is going to depend on what loads you put in it.

Everyone should have a Vaquero in their stable 'just because'. Also a rig to go with it too..... My 'rig' shrunk over the years ;) and so I'll be looking for another sometime.....

Aggie01

Blackhawk
My high polish stainless New Vaquero shot perfectly to point of aim for me with magtech cowboy stuff. On one day. With the sun setting to my rear.
POI moved around for me a lot based on lighting - until I had John Gallagher angle and serrate the rear face of the front sight - it sure settled my POI movement problems down.

my "old" Vaquero had a laundry list of problems including shooting patterns and then the firing pin froze up, so I have sacrificed it on the altar of the Custom.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

First of all, it is completely meaningless to talk about shooting to point of aim unless you accompany the statement with how far away the target is. Most revolvers are set up so the bullet rises for a while after it leaves the muzzle. At some point it noses over and starts heading down towards the ground. Ideally, a gun shoots to point of aim at some specific range. It is impossible for it to shoot to point of aim at all distances. You guys who talk about how your guns shoot to point of aim need to qualify that statement with how far away the target is.

Secondly, you can vary the point of impact by varying the load. Very generally speaking, the more recoil, the higher the gun prints.

I grew up with Blackhawks and Smiths with adjustable sights. Like most adjustable sight shooters, I was worried when I bought my first non-adjustable sighted revolver, a S&W Model 10 if I recall correctly. At this point I own far more fixed sight revolvers than adjustable sighted ones. Smiths, Colts, Rugers, you name it. I don't worry anymore about I just shoot them all and have a ball with them. Some shoot to point of aim, some don't. One of my Colts shoots dead center, the other shoots a little bit to the left. It ain't me, that is the way both guns shoot.

There are several things you can do even to a fixed sight revolver if you really want to alter where it prints. Once you have settled on a load, if the gun is printing high, you carefully file down the front sight until it prints where you want it. For windage one can open up the rear sight slightly on one side or the other, or the old solution with single action revolvers is to turn the barrel sliightly.

My first Vaquero I carefully filed down the front sight until I got it shooting right where I wanted it at Cowboy Action Shooting ranges. That's the last time I bothered. Now I just hold to the right a little bit if I need to.

Adjustable sights are highly over rated.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
Driftwood nailed it ........except for what I am positive is a typo......... If your fixed-sighted revolver is impacting LOW you file the front sight. A high p.o.i. calls for a taller front sight (take your front sight toward your current p.o.i.).

Remember that steel is easier to file OFF than to file ON. A little at a time, then try it.

Changing bullet weights (a heavier bullet at comparable velocity will always strike higher), manipulating powder charges(learn about barrel time, etc.), safe-side filing a little more hawg-waller on one side than the other in the rear sight trench......dang, these old guns are too much fun and life is too short for me NOT to shoot fixed sight revolvers.

The only "sighting" problem I encounter with fixed sight revolvers occurs when my old eyes are trying to aim the old, thin blades, like those on some early Smith break-tops or early H-Es.

The front sight on my 7 1/2" Colt SAA is too thin for me to shoot at any speed. The 5 1/2" and under guns are no sweat for me. Ruger front sight blades tend to be thick enough for me to see easily.

Just the way thangs look from my saddle,

Rich

IMHO, the "fixed sight" problem is non-existent if the shooter is willing to learn , ESPECIALLY if he is a reloader.

maxpress

Buckeye
DITTO to DRIFTWOOD

the other thing i wonder is what caliber you have.

if its a .45 then i have good luck with 250gr. swc keith bullets at 900 at 25yrds they are close. the 357s shoot 158gr swcs at 850ish. course just find a bullet you like and adjust the speed till it hits.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy Again

Ooops! Yup, if the gun is printing low you can file down the front sight to bring the point of impact up. If it is shooting high you have to add metal to the front sight in order to lower the point of impact.

Many revolvers were purposely made with taller than needed front sights, specifically so they could be regulated to a specific point of impact.

Latest posts