Ruger Ultra Light 30-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Anyone have an opinion on the Ruger M77 Hawkeye ultra light in 30-06 and what a good price would be for one in excellent condition. Also how is the accuracy in this model and is recoil a problem. at 6.6 lbs it is pretty light. I posted a link below so you can see which one am talking about. These are out of production and not on the Ruger web sight.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ruger-m77-hawkeye-ultra-light-bolt-action-rifle-30-06-springfield-20-barrel-4-rounds-american-walnut-stock-matte-blued-barrel-736676171323.do

Rocdoc

Buckeye
You will like it, cannot see price on link provided. Have a buddy who owns a compact laminate .308 with a 16.5 inch barrel, lively when you touch off a round, nothing I would want to spend an entire day at the range with, but nice handling little rifle. and to add, we never feel the recoil when taking game, you can take other precautions on the range to avoid the beating from such a small rifle,

I bought a Savage rifle in 30-06 a year or so ago... I think from a member here.. it has a light composite stock... I thought the M1 Garrand had a kick to it... 3 or 4 shots through this Savage and I'm done. Contrary to what my friends think, there is a difference between 30-06 and 308.... my father 'dropped' commies at well over a thousand yards with a '03 Springfield.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I think they are very nice rifles. I would not necissarily have one as my main hunting rifle but more of a companion to go with a full sized in the same caliber. Handy if you plan on walking and don't want to cart around extra weight for the day. I had one years ago in a MkII 223 and it was a pretty good shooter. The shorter barrel will lose a little velocity but not enough to be of much concern in a hunting situation.

The ultralights were always more expensive than the standard model too. With todays prices I'd think if you got a new one for under $750 ya did alright. And yeah...it's gonna kick a little more...but who cares! :)

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I once had a .257 Roberts M77 Mk.II RL (Ultralight 20" barrel) and found it to be very butt heavy and did not balance well at all. It was built on the long action like the 30/06 and with the larger hole in the barrel of the 30/06, it would be even more ill balanced than the .257 in my opinion. I also see no reason for a 20" barrel on a 30/06. 22" is short enough. I do, however, very much like the stock on the RL model. Of course, all this is just my opinion.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
I have two Ruger ultralights. One in 257 Roberts and one in 30-06. I have owned 2 other ULs. They feel better in my hand than any other rifles I own. I prefer more muzzle heft, but for some reason the overall balance of these rifles work great for me. They are not tack drivers. They are hunting rifles. 1.5-1.75 inch groups are about as good as you'll see unless you do some work on the gun and on your loads. The 257 Roberts is my favorite gun. It's a wood and blue Mark 2. My 30-06 is a Hawkeye in blue synthetic. I haven't rung it out real good yet. The loads I have developed for it are mild. I have a load that's giving me 1.5 inches, so that's good enough for me for this rifle. The recoil pad does a good job, but it's a fairly light 30-06 and the old 06 kicks a bit. There's just no way around that without handloading light loads or using factory reduced recoil loads. My 30-06 has the best factory hunting trigger of all my guns. Breaks incredibly clean and at what I would guess would be around 3 pounds. If you want one, this is a hell of a deal. https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U