Ruger transitioning to laser markings on SA's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
We suspected this might be happening when the first pics of the large frame Vaquero .44 Mag birdshead by TALO was first seen. The left side of the cylinder frame appeared to show the "RUGER NEW VAQUERO" phrase as being rollmarked, but the caliber marking below was black and looked etched. Now that appears to be the case, and the serial number is also etched.
You can tell the difference between rollmarked and etched serial numbers because the etched numbers appear to be a more petite font, although I think the real difference comes in the amount of space used, from first digit to last digit, is much shorter. It looks like a small serial number.
I suppose all the .44 Birdshead Vaquero's are like this, except for what is probably the prototype from the TALO website pics...58-99802.
Super Blackhawks are also making the transition, with the change coming between 88-84316 and 88-84806. For these it looks like there was a quantity of the LIPSEYS .454 or .480 Bisley Super Blackhawks in the 88-84xxx range, so perhaps a RF member will be able to tell us how theirs were marked.
New Vaqueros have also made the change...occurring between 512-86038 and 512-93350. What I didn't check on any of these guns was the barrel rollmark, to see if they are still being rollmarked or if they are now laser etched. As with the TALO gun mentioned above, for some reason Ruger is still rollmarking "RUGER NEW VAQUERO" on the left side of the cylinder frame and laser etching the caliber below it as well as laser etching the serial number.
Finally, the Ruger New Bearcat has also made the change...between 95-09442 and 95-09722 for the Shopkeeper model and sometime after 93-68570 for Ruger's cataloged models.
The easiest way to spot a laser etched Ruger is to look at stainless models. The etching leaves behind a black oxide within the letters, as if they've been burnt...which they are. I found that sometimes this black can also come out of the markings, but more often than not, the black remains.
I have not yet seen a new Blackhawk or Single-Six model with laser etched markings.
Chet15

Saw a pic a short time ago that showed etching on the inside of the grip frame on the right side, including the serial number and other data. This was on a stainless single action. Can't find the pic now.

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
I saw one laser etched Ruger single action at today's (4/22/16) Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, VA.

KNVRB-455 BIS (Bisley New Vaquero in stainless with a 5 1/2 inch barrel) serial # 512-94091 had all frame markings laser etched (phrase Ruger New Vaquero, eagle, caliber marking and serial number) but the barrel still had the warning roll marked on the underside.

An earlier Bisley New Vaquero with serial # 512-91937 was all roll marked.

A KNV44 (New Vaquero stainless in 45 Colt with a 4 5/8 inch barrel) serial # 512-92337 was also all roll marked.

I did not see any Bearcats or Blackhawks with laser etched markings.

Hope this helps,
Tim

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks Tim...that helps a bunch!
Wish I cold see that New Vaquero with the laser marked left side. At least initially, Ruger rollmarked the words "RUGER NEW VAQUERO" and lasered the caliber below it.
Makes me wonder now if Ruger didn't do that previously with all the older guns....a two step rollmarking process on the left side of the frame.
So if they are fully lasered now on the left side, it saves them an extra step.
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
Chad, my SBH 480 is # 88-808xx & has rollmarking. I know this is earlier than the info above,,, but figured to let you know what I have,,, just in case,,,!

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
My new 4 inch 45 Colt/45 ACP Redhawk, serial # 503-8080X (I know, its a Double action not a Single action) has laser etched markings and I have noticed that in order to read the serial number on the butt of the frame the barrel must be pointed to the RIGHT. On all my other five Redhawks with roll marked markings (prefixes from 501 to 503), the barrel must be pointed to the LEFT to read the serial number.

Additionally, both the hammer and trigger appear to be forged steel on my example. I have seen photos of the new 2 1/2" Redhawk in 41 Magnum that appear to have a forged hammer and a MIM trigger.

Anyone else notice other changes?
Tim

quote; "So if they are fully lasered now on the left side, it saves them an extra step."
Chet15

As usual, ANYTHING to save steps, save time, lessen the cost of manufacturing...........so much
for "permenancy" (sic) piece of cake to simply "wipe off,buff, or polish" any and all numbers, logs, whatever,,,,,,
see all kinds of problems,issues now......hmmmm really dumb if you ask me :?

chet15

Hawkeye
Timbo22 said:
Additionally, both the hammer and trigger appear to be forged steel on my example. I have seen photos of the new 2 1/2" Redhawk in 41 Magnum that appear to have a forged hammer and a MIM trigger.

Anyone else notice other changes?
Tim

Isn't Ruger still using a cast hammer for the Redhawk instead of MIM??
Chet15

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
Hmmm. Maybe I misspoke regarding the forged/cast vs. MIM TRIGGER situation. What I meant to say was the trigger on my new 45 Colt/45 ACP Redhawk looks the same as all my earlier Redhawks (that I thought was forged but maybe was cast) that are solid on the backside, but a photo of a 41 Magnum, 2 1/2" barreled Redhawk showed the hammer with a groove on the backside which I thought was an indicator that it was MIM.

As far as the HAMMERs go, I have not see any difference on the new ones from the ones that have traditionally been on earlier Redhawks.

I hope this clears things up.

Tim