Ruger Super Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hornet

Bearcat
Hey there:

I put in a set of Wolfe springs, polished all internals, and when I got ready to put it all back together, have hit a snag.

Is there any good info/tips on getting the pawl plunger and pawl spring back in without it sailing into outer space.

No, I didn't take this loose, it came out on it's own accord. Please help me if you know of a neat trick.

Thanks and all the best,

casper_zip

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I only have one Super Redhawk,, and I've never taken it apart,, so I can't offer any help,, but I'm sure someone will come along soon,,,! If not,, I'll dig into my smithing manuels to see what comes out.

timbuck

Bearcat
I have heard of people using a fork for some springs. if the peice is flat, put it in the spring and put the fork in the coils with a tine on each side and compress. Or use the fork to just compress the spring. Hard to describe, easier to do.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The fork trick is for the mainspring. The pawl plunger spring is a tricky one, and I bent one in a GP trying to get it back together. I highly recommend doing this inside a clear plastic bag to prevent launching springs and stuff. If I remember the thing to do is get the spring and plunger pushed in, I think I used the tip of a small screwdriver to hold the plunger back, and slip the pawl into place. With the pawl plunger and pawl all loaded up, hold it back while slipping the trigger assembly back into the frame.

Ruger has some good videos here, under Tech Tips:

http://ruger.com/resources/videos.html

...Jimbo

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Hornet, Welcome to the forum! You need to make yourself a tool out of a "small" common screwdriver to depress and hold small plungers when installing or taking them out of assemblies. Things will go a lot easier when you do! Simply drill a small hole near the very tip of the screwdriver (about 1/8 inch from the tip). 5/64 inch will do for the hole and then take a bigger drill and slightly "counterbore" the hole so it will "hold" the plungers without slipping off! Now "heat" up the tip with a Propane torch and bend it slightly inward (about 30 degrees) and your good to go. I'll post a pic of two tools I have made for this job shortly..........................Dick :idea: PS: Look up Pawl Plunger Problems by fubar in the archives and you will see a better pic of my plunger tool!

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Hornet, Here are the two tools I have had longer than I can remember! What I do know is that I have depressed hundreds of plungers with them and they are still going strong. Note that I drilled the hole off-center but it has worked ok this way so I never bothered to make another tool. Focus is a little fuzzy but you get the picture!........................Dick
PlungerTools.jpg