Ruger Super Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ABNRGR

Bearcat
I have a Model KSRH-7454 in .454 Casull/.45 Colt on layaway and was wondering what scope the forum members might recommend. I am thinking of a Burris 2X7 or Leupold 2.5X8. Also, and this is probably a dumb question, is it possible to fire .45 ACP with half or full moon clips if such things are made for this gun? Thanks much.

CraigC

Hawkeye
A fixed Burris or Leupold 2x is plenty. Not so much that it'll be a hindrance at short range and not too little as to preclude making shots towards the other end of the gun's effective range. IMHO a 2-7x or 2.5-8x is way too much glass for a revolver. Too heavy and the increased magnification is simply unnecessary.

No, not unless you have the cylinder cut for moonclips. Personally, I don't see a reason for a 7½", 50 plus ounce .45ACP.

ABNRGR

Bearcat
Thanks for your opinion. I ended up purchasing a Burris 1.5-4 with posi-lock. I have a young friend who wants to shoot the gun and I was concerned even .45 colts would be too much for him. I believe .45 autorims will do the trick.

contender

Ruger Guru
The rear of the cylinder would have to be milled off to use the moon clips & 45 ACP. HOWEVER, for a light load, get some standard "cowboy action" types of lead loads for that Ruger. It won't kick hardly at all. If your young friend is still a bit worried about recoil, have them sit in your lap, in a chair, and wrap your hands around theirs for the first few shots. You can apply some light recoil control until they figure out if it's "too much" for themselves.