Ruger Super Redhawk in 10mm - Sweet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheelgun

Bearcat
10mm wheelguns are nothing new. I got my first (of 3) S&W 610 over 20 years ago. That first 6-1/2 incher was the most accurate revolver I ever fired. With a 2X scope, it would shoot one ragged hole groups all day at 50 yards, and on a couple of occasions, I managed to get 6 rounds on paper at barely over an inch.

Would I take it on an Alaska bear hunt? Nope

Mark

CraigC

Hawkeye
44Alaskan said:
44Alaskan said:
The Super Redhawk 10mm is clearly stamped '10mm Auto' on the frame. Would a 10mm magnum fit in the chamber? I know one should always shoot what the gun is marked for but just curious.
http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/search&search=10mm revolver

According to Wikipedia the lenth of the 10mm magnum cartridge is 1.255 inches. I just put a caliper on my Super Redhawk 44 cylinder and it is 1.754 inches. This would leave a little under a .5 inch for bullet protrusion. Still curious.
There is plenty of cylinder there but it will have to be rechambered for the 10mmMag to work. Which means that the 10mm would only work with moon clips. Not a big deal but you still have the issue of a pitiful bullet selection. The various 180gr bullets are designed for self defense and don't like being pushed. The 200gr XTP is, well, still an XTP. The 200gr Beartooth is about the best available but that's no heavyweight. This would be a better gun in .41Mag.

Colonialgirl said:
AND if you are out hunting in the forest, There AINT nobody around to be worried about about someone looking through a scope on a a rifle. He ALSO states it was CLEARLY a BEAR, just a matter of BREED of bear.
Lighten up .
Glassing with a rifle scope is not only a bad idea but a very bad habit to be in. I hunt my own property so technically, there 'should' be no one around but it happens. You catch someone glassing YOU with a rifle scope and you will change your tune, in a hurry.

Sugar River

Buckeye
CraigC said:
Glassing with a rifle scope is not only a bad idea but a very bad habit to be in. I hunt my own property so technically, there 'should' be no one around but it happens. You catch someone glassing YOU with a rifle scope and you will change your tune, in a hurry.

Exactly. I think I smell a troll.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I think the new Blackhawk makes more sense in a big revolver. It still holds 6 rounds and does not need moon clips and has the same 6.5" barrel. It also comes with a 40 S&W cylinder to shoot a more economical round. If one could round up enough cylinders, one could shoot 10mm magnums, 38-40 Winchester, 410 Herters Power Mag, and 40/44 Woodstalker all from the same gun. That is versatility. Bob!! 8)

JStacy

Blackhawk
I handled one at a local gun shot , 900.00 asking price, and I thought it was heavy for the round. Fellow behind the counter told me that Ruger had to use the SRH frame because the 10MM was too hot for anything else ? I asked him about the 35K pressure of the 10 vs 357,41 and 44 ? He mumbled that he did not know about that just repeating what the store manager told him ! Nice logic ?

rangerbob

Buckeye
It's amazing that custom smiths can and do make 10mm's on the GP-100 frame. All I want for Christmas is a GP-100 Match Champion in 10MM and maybe a Blackhawk as well. Bob!! :mrgreen:

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
+2 ...also I agree about lack of bullet options for 10mm . That also begs the question. Why ? When so many better and more capable cartridges exist for hunting bear I personally use a .460 and I have owned them all from .357 and up . I will use this old but wise expression as far as Im concerned if it was me. Go Big or Go Home. IMHO please don't take offense to what I am saying. I fouled around with some smaller calibers . Smaller calber like 10mm I would say go kill ya a white tail . Bear, I'm gonna have something I know will do the job . 44 and 45 have tons of bullet choices.