Ruger Super Redhawk cycling problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi all,

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in .357.

It has a problem cycling in both SA and DA modes. Sometimes it is fine, but sometimes when you either cock the hammer or pull the trigger it seems to bind. If you gently turn the cylinder in the direction to chamber the next round, it will move past the bind.

Any ideas?

I am thinking it is the cog on the ejector, it seems to have an angle to it as if it has been worn over time. Anyone got a photo of what this ejector should look like on a Super Redhawk?

Also the cylinder has very slight play along the bore line so maybe it needs shimming to the rear to engage the ejector cog on the lever that tries to rotate it?

Anyone come accross this before?

Also, in .357 it seems like a rare gun, anyone know where I could get a new ejector to suit this caliber?

Many thanks as there are a lot of questions :)

Kyle

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Had this same problem in a 44Mag..Turned out the rims on the cases were to thick :shock: Winchester Wal-Mart ammo. Hope this helps :D

dougader

Hunter
I have seen Redhawks in 357, but never a Super Redhawk in 357 magnum.

Sorry but I have no advice on the binding problem.

I think it may have a Redhawk cylinder, but it was definately marketted as a Super Redhawk as this is what is written on the barrel, and the frame is not a Redhawk frame.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Kyle welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with your problem I had a similar problem as SBH4628. It might be time to see a gunsmith hope you can find one I'm under the impression London is'nt exactly teeming with handgun aficionados.

Indeed, even the 'experts' over here haven't seen a decent revolver in 13 years........

I am loath to send it to someone if it is an easy fix as over here it must all be sent via dealers and hence costs are incurred...

It seems to be an interemittent problem, although it seems mainly to occur with live rounds, so might be a recoil related issue?

Axehandle

Buckeye
There never was a 357 Super Redhawk but who am I to say anything.... I have a 500L Super Redhawk! They don't exist either... :D
Make sure that it is clean under the ejector... A little trash under there can make bad things happen on a DA revolver....

They were all factory rounds various different makes, but mainly .38spls as opposed to .357mags.

The extractor to my knowledge was clean prior to use.

I have just stripped it as per the manual and cleaned it all and re-assembled it, but I won't be able to test fire it till at least next weekend so if you have any suggestions/ideas please keep them coming :)

Axehandle, I can assure you it exists :D

I would post pictures, but you lot will take the mickey out of the 12" barrel and the coat hanger the government make us weld on the back of the grip to make it legal :D

Axehandle

Buckeye
Don't worry with the existence of your Super Redhawk.... Do take a soft bristle brush and brush out the area under your ejector including the underside of the ejector... You may have a few grains of powder stuck under there.......

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
[email protected]":2zuuq3u9 said:
Axehandle, I can assure you it exists :D

I would post pictures, but you lot will take the mickey out of the 12" barrel and the coat hanger the government make us weld on the back of the grip to make it legal :D

Could you explain this again??? I did find this from Wikipedia, but I never heard of the coathanger...
"The Super Redhawk was introduced late in 1987, in .44 Magnum with 7.5 and 9.5 inch barrel lengths.[1] Versions with 21 inch barrels were produced around 2000 with serial numbers in the 551-5xxxx and 551-7xxxx range. Model numbers were KSRH-21-357 (.357 Magnum) and KSRH-21 (.44 Magnum). They were produced for the UK market, but very little information about them is available.[citation needed] The final product used the same trigger design and same grip panels as the .357 Magnum GP-100, but had a larger, stronger frame with integrated scope bases. The Super Redhawk received positive reviews, edging out similar offerings from Smith and Wesson in accuracy and price.[1]"

New edit.... I found a youtube of a .357 SRH that seems to have a rod coming out the back of the bottom of the handgrip... what the h*ll?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDlPH0ZHAw

Axehandle

Buckeye
Oh Yeah.... This is what we call a Super Redhawk.... We see them in 44, 454 and 480. They come in 7.5 and 9.5 inch barrel lengths... There is a snubbie variation called an Alaskan... Mine 7.5 inch guns wear Hogue grips and have custom sights from Hamilton Bowen... My one Alaskan is a 480... My custom 500L will be here in a few days...
004-2.jpg

Alaskan1_1.jpg

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
A person would certainly get laughed off the range with THAT around here... What crazy laws they have!

Latest posts