Ruger Super Redhawk .454

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huntnfool

Bearcat
I am currently looking to buy a RSRH in .454. I have read on other forum sites that earlier 454's (4 or so years old) had alot of problems with stuck brass in the cylinders after firing factory and reloaded ammunition. I have searched and found no mention of this here. Does anyone know of these issues currently being a problem or was this a problem just with earlier models. I have owned two different Super Blackhawk 44's and would like to step-up to a DA .454

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
huntnfool, I don't know how old my Alaskan is as I acquired it as a used handgun (Its serial # is 530-108XX), but I have experienced NO problems with extraction.

I had a minor problem with one chamber's accuracy. Once that was resolved, everything has been rosy.

huntnfool

Bearcat
sunday Bill, I hope these were just people who were Ruger bashers and the problem was just isolated to a few, they made it sound like it was a Redhawk wide problem. Went so far as to say that majority of RSRH .454 owners had to spin steel wool on to a wood dowel and use a drill to buff down the inside walls of the cylinders in order to keep from having to pound the fired brass out. I really want this .454 and hope this was all B.S.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
The only stuck brass issues I have seen were in relation to SOME 480 Super Blackhawks and some posts implied that that could have been from hotter then standard loads at that. That has been guessed to be the reason Ruger was going to make the 480 a 5-shot but then never released any of the Super Redhawks in a 5-shot 480 and as few as a dozen of the 480 5-shot alaskans.

The 454 is fine from my experience and what I have read.

dougader

Hunter
I've had 3 different SRH's in 454. None had the extraction problems you describe. I loaded pretty hot (335 WLNGC loaded from 1396 - 1500 fps) and also fired some factory loads from Winchester with no problems at all, except for my wrists, lol.

huntnfool

Bearcat
Thanks Quarterbone, does'nt sound like as wide spread a problem as they said. I do recall hearing somewhere that the problem was due to the cylinders being 6 instead of 5 shot which caused the thinner cylinder walls to stretch more due to heat which in turn allowed the brass to expand more than normal. If this was a real issue, I'm sure more shooters on this forum would be having issues.

huntnfool

Bearcat
Thanks Dougater, I'm going to get one, although I have never fired one myself. Have had several 44 mags but understand that this 454 is a whole nother beast. Dont know anyone who has one or I'd try it first. Told someone that I thought it would'nt be to much worse than my 44's, but they just laughed. Hope I'm not bitting off more than I can chew. :shock:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I had a 454 SRH, fired maybe 120 rounds and some 45Colt stuff. I never had any sticing problems with any ammo, but I always clean ammo & charging holes for no reason!

The 454Casull ammo never felt good. I have a 12 gauge pistol-gripped entry gun that is easier on the wrist than the 454 SRH. Very brutal, so much in fact, that I sold it off without remorse.

Now I have (a couple of) the 480Ruger SRH guns, and love them! Accuracy is far better probably due to the fact that I can actually PRACTICE with the 480R, something I could never do with the 454 for more than 10-12 rounds at a sitting.

Try the 454C, lots of people lie it. But listen to your wrists and hand muscles&tendons! Pain during or after shooting is NOT a sign that things are getting better!

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
huntnfool, IMHO the 454 won't be a mouthful for you if you've shot purty stiff 44 loads. I've got a 10" FA and this little stubby Alaskan. I've shot H110 loads in my FA bordering on the max from the manuals. They're not to be sneezed at, but are manageable with a little experience.

That said, the Unique/300 gr. (320ish out of my mold and alloy) GC bullet load Freedom mentions on their website is pleasant and accurate. It affords way more power than I need for KY critters, targets or boogers. This load currently makes up about 98% of my 454 shooting.

If I decide to traipse around amongst big bears I'll revisit stout charges of H110 behind linotype slugs.

My advice: Aint but one way ta scratch the 454 itch. :D

dougader

Hunter
I'll tell you one more thing. My 454 Alaskan absorbs recoil better than my 7.5" SRH in 454. That Hogue Tamer grip makes a big difference IMO.

I have used /Hunted with my SRH 454 since they came out with no problems! Both of my Son's have them now & they have had no problems that I have heard of. My oldest son is bad for not cleaning his guns either I bet it has been 6 or 7 years since he cleaned it or any of his Rugers. ( I only gave him Rugers for that reason). J/S

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum. I have a Ruger Alaskan in 454. I was also curious about 454. I had some sticky extraction problems but just with some loads with certain powders. Others were fine. I also have an Alaskan in 44 mag. Too me there is quite a difference in recoil. Plus you don't make friends shooting at the range. I wear double hearing protection so the noise is not a problem for me. Some people aren't that prepared. Plus there is apparently quite a concussion off to the sides when fired. I lost a nice chunk of skin off my palm which I cured by wearing gloves after that episode. My arm would be sore for a couple of weeks after shooting. Now a caveat here. I have a tendency to be pigheaded. I would fire 100 rounds or more of 454 at a time. If you shot 20 or so at a time it probably would not be a problem. After getting my curiosity satisfied I decided to sell this gun so I could get a single action revolver I had my eye on. It wouldn't sell even priced below what it would sell for at a gun shop. So now I will shoot it as a 45 colt snubby. So if you buy one it may not be easy to sell it if you change your mind. Shame you don't live closer if you bought the ammo I'd let you shoot it so you could see if 454 was for you. It was neat shooting something that powerful. Hope you get a chance to. I don't think I would tie up the money to find out but I wouldn't pass up a chance to fire a 475 linebaugh,460 S&W,500S&W or one of the other heavy hitters. :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
mohavesam":2kt2yvko said:
Now I have (a couple of) the 480Ruger SRH guns, and love them! Accuracy is far better probably due to the fact that I can actually PRACTICE with the 480R, something I could never do with the 454 for more than 10-12 rounds at a sitting.

Wussy .... :D :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
huntnfool":3e1cvb0x said:
Have had several 44 mags but understand that this 454 is a whole nother beast. Told someone that I thought it would'nt be to much worse than my 44's, but they just laughed. Hope I'm not bitting off more than I can chew. :shock:

A 454 Casull makes full house 44 magnums seem like 38 specials. I mean that LITERALLY. I said the same thing as you regazrding how much different can it be from the 44 magnum. I have one and absolutely LOVE it, but I am a confirmed recoil junky. I have experienced slight sticking problems with mine, but I load at the high end of the range for this caliber. Hey, if I wanted to shoot a gun with no recoil, I'd shoot my 44 magnum or 480 SRH, right ?? All I do if I get a sticky case is tap the ejection rod against the vertical 4X4 that holds up the range's roof. I've never needed to 'hammer' any cases out. A few are a little sticky, that's all.

The 454 is an absolutely fantastic caliber, and it's unbelievably accurate at incredibly high pressures. If you REALLY want a big recoiling handgun, this is the one. If you're the type that just wants to 'experience' it a few times, then don't buy one. THey can be tough to get rid of.

THey're also quite expensive to reload for as well. Figure about $20 per box of 50, because you have to use GOOD bullets that won't come apart at very high velocities (Hornady XTP magnums at about $15 per 50 just for the bullets. To buy factory rounds, about $1.25 each.

Having warned you about everthing, I say buy one ASAP. I'd try to find one used, for about $500, And get the 7.5 incher, it makes the most sense.

REV

huntnfool

Bearcat
Thanks for all the insight, you all are great. I found a guy in my area that has a SRH .454, so I will get to try it before dropping to much coin. I have been a 44 mag fan for years and dont have a problem staying with that if need be. My primary use for this is a back country carry gun. Had a run in with wolves one night packing meat out of the Idaho back country last November, and last summer while running my gold dredge in Calif. a 200+ pound lion decided to challenge me for my dog. The lion lost to a 12ga. 3" load of 00 buck to the head. :lol: My reason for going SRH .454 was to use the DA for quick follow-up, but it dont sound like thats realistic with this round anyway. I'll post back after I make a decision and let you know if I whimped or not.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
:lol: I wouldn't worry about whimping if I shot 44 mags. and 12ga.s at mountain lions. I'm old enough to remember when all the pundits said that the 44 mag would take anything that you ran into in the woods and that it was too hard for most people to shoot. Now you have some people wondering if they need something bigger for deer.

Leadeye

Bearcat
The only issue I had with the Ruger SRH 454 was with primers. For some reason I had trouble with CCIs. Anything else worked fine so I just use Federals in the 454.

rgwarren

Bearcat
I have a SRH 454 with 7 1/2 barrel..I love mine.. I have had no problems except for the recoil.. I installed a set of Hogue tamer grips and it is like shooting a different gun. They will tame the recoil..

onthehunt

Bearcat
I have had problems with extraction when I use Starline brass and shoot loads over minimum. Winchester and Hornady brass is ok but doesn't seem to last long. 2-4 reloads max with heavy loads. It seems like their brass is harder but more brittle. It just cracks down the side after a couple of resizes. It is not cheap either.

Axehandle

Buckeye
At one point in time I put spring kits in my 44-454-480 SRHs.... Had to go bcak to the stock springs in the 454... Those rifle primers were to hard for the lighter spring..