Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

saleen322

Bearcat
When Ruger came out the 10mm SRH it surprised me. I understand the GP100 is a little small for a 6-shot 10mm so it would seem the Redhawk would have been a more logical choice. In any case I wanted to get one before Ruger stops production like Smith did with the 610 and the 10mm SRH performs as good as I hoped. The SRH 10mm shot everything well and some loads were exceptional. The big advantages the revolver has are cylinder length and strength. I am mostly an iron sight shooter but getting a good load is much easier with a scope. The SRH platform permits you to put the scope on for testing without upsetting the iron sights. I tried a couple of bullets in the 200 grain range, both were good but a NOE gas checked cast bullet that weighs 203 grains shot the best. The only issue I had was the scope mount kept coming loose so I would use some blue loctite if I was going to leave the scope on.

I shot this target and the shots started drifting right through the second five shots even though I thought they felt the same. The group was still very respectable, 1 9/16" @ 25 yards.

38794355150_0e72a58c15_o.jpg

I changed the load a little bit and I was surprised how low the first 2 shots went on the target, in the 7 ring and not that close together. I checked the scope and it wiggled noticeably at the front mount. I tightened the scope with the small screwdriver I had with me and the SRH put the next the next 3 shots into the same hole at 25 yards. I made a guestimate on the scope adjustment and the SRH put the next 5 shots into 7/8" @ 25 yards.

38794354810_f2b264b82b_o.jpg

I had 6 rounds left so I put a target at 50 yards and shot the remaining 6 shots. The last shot felt good but it drifted a little right. I checked the scope mount with my fingers and you could turn the front screw with your fingers. Even with the loose mount it grouped 2 1/8" @ 50 yards.

38794388250_b39a052734_o.jpg

This is a very good revolver and I think Ruger has a winner.

saleen322

Bearcat
Thanks guys. It works well, it was tight initially but that appeared to be a good thing because everything seems to be minimum in the tolerances. It is very smooth now. I have handguns I paid more for that don't shoot as well and it hits hard.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Saleen322.... good report on your SRH in 10mm Auto. Clamp screws for some of the Ruger rings are too short to properly engage, and quickly vibrate loose. Clean threads of screws and nuts, and paint with fingernail polish. The rings then should hold fine and easily unscrew for iron sighting.
David Bradshaw

Saleen322, Great report. I took mine out one time with scope mounted and started to do some testing but ran out of time after about about 50 rounds. I think that my gun will match your initial findings. I am shooting 180 grain Hornady XTP's.

David Bradshaw, I just took mine out of the safe and tightened up my mounting screws. After 50 rounds from three weeks ago, they were still tight. I put a small amount of clear nail polish on the screw threads. Ready for next outing.

I hope to get mine out tomorrow.

Bill

saleen322

Bearcat
David Bradshaw said:
Saleen322.... good report on your SRH in 10mm Auto. Clamp screws for some of the Ruger rings are too short to properly engage, and quickly vibrate loose. Clean threads of screws and nuts, and paint with fingernail polish. The rings then should hold fine and easily unscrew for iron sighting.
David Bradshaw

Thank you David. I appreciate the tip and will try that on the mounts.

Buckeye Bill said:
Saleen322, Great report. I took mine out one time with scope mounted and started to do some testing but ran out of time after about about 50 rounds. I think that my gun will match your initial findings. I am shooting 180 grain Hornady XTP's....
Bill

Thanks Bill. I am very pleased at the accuracy and with the revolver weight, it is a pleasure to shoot. I hope you will be just as pleased with yours.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Not a surprise that your gun shot well ! Ruger SRH guns are good guns, heavy but good. I like many others wishes Ruger would bring the 10 out in a smaller frame but that's not going to happen till the 10's are selling good and it is to their benefit. If they wanted to make a bomb proof 10 MM I think they succeeded.

I went out on Sunday for a fast range session.

I was resting the butt on a sand bag. It was was not extremely stable.

I think that next time I will come up with a more stable rest system.

I made a sight adjustment between groups to lower POI.

It was a 10MM day at the range. G40MOS, S&W 610 and Ruger SRH.

Bill

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Question is the cylinder long enough so I could lengthen chamber to 10 mm auto Mag? I have lots of brass for the 10 mm mag...and as one poster says "And so it goes."
TIA Charlie

wizzard

Bearcat
have you fired other rounds out of the same platform? (.357, .44...) and how does the recoil compare? I've never fired a 10mm and I'm curious.-thanks

Latest posts