Ruger Super Blackhawk revolver 44mag/44spcl w/10.5" barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

instructor

Single-Sixer
Purchased this handgun some couple years ago and shot very little until recently and pleasantly pleased with performance. Yes, the squared off trigger guard is tough on the shooting hand but resolved this issue by placing small section of Velcro on that area and no more complaints from me.
Accuracy with either caliber is amazing for a handgun and would serve very well on a whole host of game animals from ground hogs to deer or bear, very versatile to say the least. The fit and finish on the handgun is very nice indeed and action is smooth, and trigger is lighter than I would have ever guessed, easy to shoot. Is it handy, well actually it is not due to the overall length of the revolver, but the performance makes up for that small negative issue. I would feel quite comfortable carrying this Ruger hunting in all of North America. Just my experience.

I sure love mine! If you install thicker grip panels, it can reposition your knuckle to keep it from taking a beating, but just depends on hand size. (It definitely worked for me and I don't mind the squared back anymore.). Ruger used good barrels on those guns!

G2

Hunter
I just shoot 44 Specials in mine, no knuckle problem. It is one of my more accurate Ruger Single Actions.
I don't hunt with my 10.5"/4.

Bisley Hunter see's the Magnums.

52245533749_88a27f51ca_k.jpg

Danny

Single-Sixer
The only thing I don't like about the Super Blackhawk is that ugly squared off trigger loop. It fits me perfectly and does not smack my finger. That is what the Blackhawk is for. It is just the looks of it that I do not like (the Super Blackhawk loop). I would much prefer that they would put the Hunter grip frame on in either Stainless or Blued, to include the Blackhawk models, then eliminate manufacture of the traditional Super Blackhawk grip frame. That could simplify manufacturing and be one of the few times that a cost cutting measure came out as a win/win for the end user.

The Blackhawk grips are too small for me, and they also look too small and out of proportion to the Blackhawk, or at least most of them.

Danny

G2

Hunter
Danny,

I didn't care for the squared off SBH trigger guard either, it has grown on me.
As for Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame,
I AGREE !!!
I went with a RW Brass SBH Hunter gipframe on my NM 50th Anniversary Flattop, also added a Super Hammer.
OM (w/XR3-RED) on the top, NM (w/RW Hunter) on the bottom…I straightened both back straps to emulate the XR3 look.
Custom is custom, do what ever floats your boat.
52162984363_0f2f480101_k.jpg

Last edited: