Ruger Super Blackhawk in .30 Cal carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzpicker

Bearcat
I have a dead mint Super Blackhawk in .30 Carbine Ser#51-32701. It's like holding a stick of dynamite in my hand to shoot and I have probably shot it less than 50 times. I've always have had a few military carbines and thought this would be interesting caliber in a pistol.

I've seen several posts here about these pistols and was just wondering if this particular pistol has any value because of the caliber.What's the story on these fine pistols.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
No premium, the .30 has always been a slow seller. With the 51 prefix, your gun is a New Model so has limited collector following. About 1985 production. Value around $350-375. Shoot it and enjoy, take care of it, and it should never go down in value but the upside is limited.

As for the story, in the late 1960's when Ruger came out with this caliber, mil surplus .30 carb. ammo was plentiful and cheap. So these guns came out to take advantage of the cheap ammo supply. That supply has pretty well been used up now, so ammo is not so easy come by on the cheap.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
:) A New Model, two pin version, not as highly sought as it's Old Model three screw action predessesor; Earlier versions had anon prefixed SN and then a 50 prefix to the SN (Old Models) Yes, ammo available in the late sixties, but when the Viet Nam War heated up, the U.S. sent all surplus 30 carbine ammo to arm the South Viet Nam troops, along with many WWII vintage 30 cal carbines. Yes, it is a loud report when one sits in a protected shooting postion at the range and drops a few rounds off near the unsuspecting.............. 8)

jazzpicker

Bearcat
It's just a blackhawk according to the box. I'm a military collector and have enough .30carbine ammo for a couple of lifetimes. Things are getting to a point where the ammo is worth more than the guns.

Thanks for the useful info about what I thought was going to be a treasure and I'll cancel the cruise.

It is a treasure, at least to us Ruger lovers that believe in the US Constitution and the 2nd amendment.
I love shooting my 30 Carbine Blackhawk and shoot it with a smile. :D
Enjoy yours and shoot the heck out of that surplus ammo!

flatheadsal

Single-Sixer
hey jazzpicker, you might want to sell a little of that lifetime supply of ammo, could make enough money to buy some more Rugers!!!! I know lots of guys here would be interested, and we have a great classified here, just an idea, flathead

SBH4628

Blackhawk
flatheadsal":1ct59rqz said:
hey jazzpicker, you might want to sell a little of that lifetime supply of ammo, could make enough money to buy some more Rugers!!!! I know lots of guys here would be interested, and we have a great classified here, just an idea, flathead
I could use a few rounds myself :D :D