Ruger Super Blackhawk Brass grip frames...i need a education

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Well as some of you know...i am trying to finish a 44 mag Elmer Keith Homage and i have found that even though i have this coming together nicely...i have yet to find a proper brass grip frame...i have seen there were many frames made by many companies...some even for the NM...which ones are the ones to get?..which ones are to stay away from?...any help navigating what is out there would so be appreciated.....thanks in advance God Bless,John
i started with a 1961 Ruger Flat Top 44 mag 6.5" with a scope mount drilled and tapped into the barrel.......

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee,, I wish all the questions were so easy!

Ruger only had ONE factory brass g/f. it's the same as what Elmer used on his gun.
It's SBH in shape & size,, but it's marked; "MR3-DB."
And it will easily screw right onto your frame. Screw hole pattern hasn't changed.

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
this is what i am trying to make.....
5b0xvu1l.jpg

i am thinking making the grips like these ones...
I will just have to find a set of damaged factory grips for the medallions and hardware
wp3BOIZl.jpg

The Resin-Ivory+S™ grips blanks to start this project
and find that elusive Brass frame to fit them all too...

as noted above the Ruger "factory" brass frames pop up now and then, ,BUT that being said you have to keep an eye out for the various frames, as Ruger "scrapped" many, many of these back in the old days, the castings were NOT "perfect" often can "see" casting flaws, ( pits, craters, whatever you want to call these imperfections) so if you "see" a hole here or there and try to polish it out, the hole can get bigger, or worse yet,more holes may appear..I know we've tried to polish hundreds of these over the years when we had our shops and yes even bought a few dozen back then from the factory for inventory and they cost like $8.50 a set, got the box, grips ,trigger as well as the frame...wow, wish I had them all today !!!!!
another thing we even have seen some frames that were coated with a brass like finish, not sure what they call the process , but was used for coating drill bits and came out yellow/gold...and is IMPOSSIBLE to polish out or off !!! we've had three pairs( sets) of these over the past 40 plus years...I was told by the gunsmith in Southport who had the job of "scrapping" the left over frames in storage many years ago,,,,,he had come to the Monroeville,PA., RCA theme show, and if I recall right knew Jeff M back then...too long ago to remember all the details but he wished he had kept ANY or some of the so-called "scrap" Ruger threw away back then, yes, parts, as well as guns.......
Good luck in your search,but they are out there..........heck I saw two guns with brass frames this past weekend and I got ONE of them 8) :roll: :wink:

yKV9saRm.jpg

and I may add there were other makers of the brass frames ,such as 'Caravelle' for one, no longer being made though, but you may see them on line from time to time.......

Latest posts