Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .44 Mag Your thoughts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I picked it up two weeks ago at a local Gun Show New in the box from the first owner for $480.oo out the door of which I think I did ok but not sure. I also feel out of the Ruger line it is the best made Single Action they have but again I could be wrong? He said he shot another .44 Mag and decided that he did not need to use such a gun lol.

This is my first post on this forum since I did a search on the Ruger. This is my first Ruger and thus far I LIKE IT lol. But I plan or I should say hope to use it for HOG hunting and Deer here in South Texas. So any thoughts on this would be GREAT.

I will change one thing I called Hogue and put in an order for a new Ebony grip for it that will be made in the gunfighter style or thinner and should fit the gun better. But I have to wait 6 weeks lol. Should look good being stainless with Black Grips?

Thus far I have mainly just loaded up some new brass to fire form and then plan to load my Lee 310Gr Bullets with 21.0 to 21.5Gr of H-110 which should work fine?

Thank You for any thoughts you may have. :)

RugerHunter.jpg

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
my thoughts--
I think u got a great revolver for a great price. Enjoy the venison and the sausage.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
First off, welcome to the forum!

I just got back from shooting my SBHH. I have a Belt Mountain base pin and free spin pawl in it, and I believe the previous owner has the action worked over. It's a nice shooter.

I'm not a hunter so can't comment on that aspect, but as far as the load goes, that should be OK. My Speer manual doesn't list a load for 310gr slugs, only 300gr JHP-SP, and for that they list 20.2-22.5gr of H110. For a 270gr bullet they list 19.0-21.0, so you should be safe with what you've listed.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns simply due to the wide variety of loads you can shoot through it. I was using some old commercial .44 special powder puff loads today, and those made it a darned nice target piece. Accurate as all getout, too.

There was a recent post about cutting them down to 5.5" to improve balance. That could be interesting, though the weight out front does help control recoil with the heavier stuff.

-- Sam

CraigC

Hawkeye
We bought Dad one a few Christmasses ago and it's still one of the most accurate sixguns I've ever shot. Looks great with CLC macassar ebony too!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum,,, and I think you will enjoy hunting in Texas with this fine gun. I will say that these Ruger SA's can become a bit addictive!

MasterBlaster77

Bearcat
I bought one of these last year and while I have only put 300 rounds through it this revolver is a very sweet shooter. Better than I can hold it I'm afraid. I put a Bushnell trophy 2x6 variable on it, but probably should have went with a fixed power as I only use it on 3x or 4x. Mine is bone stock and is getting very slick with use. You got a great shooter at a good price. Enjoy

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
JesterGrin_1":1plsate0 said:
I am really leaning towards some type of Red Dot for it.

Nice gun! I prefer the normal version, (non-bisley), which I have had for a while now. Just a personal preference, of course. Have hunted both deer and pigs with it - both successfully. It is, as someone said a 'sweet shooter', to be sure. I had a trigger job done on mine which improved it a lot. Made my own custom walnut grips for it. (See my avatar). I made them thicker, not thinner, with a nice palm swell on the right side. Super fit!

As far as the RD sight, that is what I put on mine right away. LOVED IT! It was much faster to acquire a target, and thus perfect for hunting. However...... although the sight itself survived my heavy recoiling handloads, the "B-Square" rail that I had to put on the gun to make the RD fit did not. It was just too soft, (aluminum), and just would NOT stay tight without cutting into the metal and working loose. A shame, as I really liked the setup.
So, now I have put a 2x Weaver 'classic' on it, (in the Ruger STEEL rings), which seems to work ok, but haven't hunted with it yet.
If you are interested, I could sell you the "B-Square" mount real cheap. I think I paid around $40 for it! I'm keeping the RD sight itself, though; to mount on another gun eventually. It's a "PDP-3", and works fine.

As far as a hunting load, as I've posted before we prefer a light bullet going FAST. Works best for us. But most folks like a heavy bullet. "Different strokes...." You'll develop your own preference after you've shot it some and hunted with it.
Good luck; I'm sure you will find it a GREAT gun!

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Right now I am working with the Lee 310Gr and a 300Gr HP that was a group buy over on the Cast BOOLITS forum that was under 44/444 mold. They are both GC design.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Well the reason I did pick the Bisley Grip is I am used to my Double Action 629 Classic and felt that it would be as close as I could get with a Single Action and I have read from many that it will help with heavy loads as well as control of the Pistol. I have to say with the Bisley Grip the trigger as well as hammer use sure do feel better than the standard grip on a Ruger.

But Everyone may like something I may not lol.

The only other Real Ruger I ever had was when I was about 13 I used to use a Ruger in .30 Carbine and with the standard grip it did not feel near as good as any of the other S&W's that I could use. Plus at the time all I had to use was G.I. Issue .30 Carbine rounds which were also fed through the old .30 Singer Carbine lol.

But I will never ever forget the Crack that Ruger in the .30 Carbine would make or the over a foot Fire Ball that would come out of the end of that thing lol.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I love my SBH Hunter in .44 Mag. I went thru a bunch of optical mounts and units and finally settled on an Aimpoint with the B-Square adapter. It shot well, but was too heavy and threw off the balance of a fine gun too much. No problems with it coming loose, although my cousin has experienced that with the B-Square mount on a Super Red Hawk. I fianally bagged all the optics and put a set of Williams Fire Sights on it. I am not good enough with a handgun (or confident enough) to shoot anything much beyond 25-30 yds. The Williams sights do just as well. I put a Wolff spring set in and it really improved the trigger feel. It truly is a very versatile gun. With cowboy loads in .44 Spec, it will make one hole groups all day and with more powerful loads, I can still keep them in minute of hog/deer. My only regret is that it is too heavy to easily carry when hiking and backpacking. If I were only to own one handgun, this would be it.

MasterBlaster77

Bearcat
I bought a hip holster and belt when I purchased the gun but quickly moved to a over the shoulder bandelero looking rig when I scoped it and it works great. I can even run through the woods like a madman chasing the elusive Texas Tusked Porkasaurus and it don't flop around too much.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
MasterBlaster that is also what I got was a bandelero type of rig that is ajustable to use with a scope or without. you can seperate it to put around your belt in the front and back style or just hook it together and throw it over your shoulder just like a Bandeler. Works great for me. As with this type of rig I do not have to worry about what I wear. As during hunting season down here in HOT south TEXAS I tend to wear Bib overalls and if it gets a wee bit chilly down in the 30's then I will wear some hunting camo Bib Overalls lol. No belt on those things lol.

I am really starting to lean towards some type of Aimpoint. But I may put a scope on it just for load work.