Ruger Super Black Hawk Scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

parkerizer1

Bearcat
I've got a Superblackhawk 44 mag 7 1/2 in barrel that I think was made in the mid 80s. I bought it in like new condition in 88 from a friend. I tried to find out the date of manufacture but the lady at Ruger said it was before the computer records and it would cost 10 bucks to have it researched. Anyway I've had it that long and want to kill something more than milk jugs with it. Of course it wasn't designed for a scope mount but I got one from weaver designed exactlly for that gun. I'm lucky if I can put 6 rounds in a pie plate at 50 yards at 100 its everywhere even with different brands of ammo. I keep checking the screws and everything is tight and its a brand new scope straight out of the box. Any idea. Bad Mount?
I'm going hog hunting with a guy that is actually pretty well known with Ruger and he says I can use his hunter model but I've had this one for 25 years and am determined to kill one with it if I have to beat it over the head.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I've been using a Weaver mount for 20+ years without any problems. Can you move the scope with your hand? How accurate is the gun with iron sights? What kind of groups can you shoot at 25 yards?

parkerizer1

Bearcat
The scope is tight. I even made little marks and checked every screw after every group nothing is moving. I haven't tried 25 yards. I can't shoot open sights anymore but I used to bust milk jugs at 100 yards open sights. I'm using a variety of different ammunition brands but all the same weight. I can't afford to sight in with 2 dollar apiece hunting loads but as I said I'm using the same weight and should at least be able to get close with what i've got before switching to them to fine tune. I've never used a hunting pistol before or I mean sighted in one but before I started having some trouble with my eyes I was very good. I'm not scared of the recoil and I'm not jerking. its just it'll shoot one place and you move it one click and its a foot in the opposite direction. I usually can completely sight in a rifle in 7 or 8 shots and while I understand a pistol is different I can't believe I'm having that much trouble.It still sounds like a loose mount but I don't see it. The scope is brand new out of the box.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Not all scopes are created equal. Hard to believe it would be bad or gone bad already , but .... Once upon a time I had three different scopes on an octagon 10 inch, 30-30 Contender before I finally got it right. A T/C Lobo and a Bushnell Phantum....the reticle broke loose in both....ended up with a used 2X Leopold , end of problems. There's only a select few handgun scopes that will take the abuse of the big bore magnums.

Gun isn't leaded up is it ?? My revolvers tend to start throwing big groups if they start to lead up. Might be worth looking at if ya shoot lead.

Sandbag it at 25 yds. Frame on the bag ( protect your bag, cylinder blast will burn it up ) not the barrel. The butt shouldn't be resting on anyhing , that will allow the revolver to recoil up the same for every round.

Scoped revolver shooting is an aquired skill. It does take practice.

Good luck
regards brushunter

parkerizer1

Bearcat
It was made to shoot on the thompson contender pistols. Let me clarify it came out of the sealed box with big TC on the scope caps and was made for the contender pistol. which was chambered I know of at least to .308. Unless I just got a bad one the the two breeds don't mix. thanks.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Yea , Parkerizer , that T/C scope should easly handle a 44 mag. T/Cs Encore has some real brutish barrels availiable. Its tough to trouble shoot from a key board.....as I had suggested before , try close shooting. At 25 yds one hole or at least very tight groups should be had , providing your doing your part. If its still throwing 6 inch groups at 25 yds.....ya might try using a bore sighter in the muzzle.....adjust the bore sighter to the scope rectile....once adjusted , lightly tap the turrent section of the scope with a screwdriver handle....check the rectile , if it has moved from the boresight....it may be defective. :cry:

Good luck
regards brushunter

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
I tried several different scopes and mounts from my SuperBlackHawk. I ended up purchasing a Leupold scope mount had it drilled/tapped and a Leupold 2x scoop. I had this done in the early 90's and once I got it sighted in I haven't had a problem since.

There is a photo of it in the Lounge and the thread Ranges Bags.

parkerizer1

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice about the bore sighter and about the drilling and tapping I didn't think you could do that to a single action. I'm going to get some more ammo and try it again from 25 and make sure its not just an idiot on the grip. I used to be hell on wheels combat style but never a scoped revolver. I'm thinking about putting a lazer sight on the GP. It depends on how fast the eyes go on the diabetes. I always said if it was combat close you didn't need one but things change. I also have an LCP that I bought without one and am thinking about it.But at the range its designed for it's pretty much point and shoot. thanks folks

damienph

Bearcat
For the first couple of years that I had my SBH scoped I used a Bushnell Trophy variable scope and a B-Square mount because I didn't want to drill and tap my revolver. After several rounds of 300gr XTPs the mount would need to be retightened. I also found that I rarely used the scope turned up past 3x. So, I sent my SBH off to JD Jones and had them install (drill and tap) one of his TSOB three ring mounts and I swapped the heavier Bushnell scope for a 2x Leupold.

If I can use a rest, I am confident making 100 yard shots; offhand, I try to limit myself to 50 yard and under shots.

PA142063.jpg

parkerizer1

Bearcat
Beautiful. I may have to do that but right now I'm on a budget and other than growing broke on ammo I'm going to try like it is. Gonna take everything off and clean and put back on and check everything and try it at 25 and see if the scope "walks" if it does I'm going to send it back to my friend to fix. I can use his but I need one here. I've never done the scoped handgun thing and even if I use his I'm not going to hit anything if I'm not used to it. I also have a little Ruger 22/45 bull barrel that I'm going to try to scope too. I found out yesterday that I cant focus on the bead on my shotgun either. Diabetes is a wonderful thing. Thanks a lot to everybody who has tried to help me. I'll let you know.