Ruger Standard Jams (with photos)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

greener

Single-Sixer
Try a standard velocity ammo (~1050 fps). The select is ~1200 fps and has a bit more punch. I've had trouble with Aguila and Centurion (aguila us) loading in any of my handguns.

If you start having problems with extraction with good ammo and a clean, lightly lubed pistol, then you probably need to replace the extractor. The VQ Exact Edge extractor has good reviews and is about $10.

graygun

Hunter
The CCI ammo just made a stronger push against the bolt,allowing for better cycling,IMO.

I agree that more soaking/cleaning would be good. If that was a carburetor instead of a gun,it would probably not make an engine very happy if not perfectly clean,etc.

wingspar

Bearcat
Interesting. I may have to load the next magazine with one CCI round, and one Aguila round, with the CCI loaded to shoot first, as I know the Aguila round will jam but I won't end up with a live round in there, and see if I notice a difference in the bang and kickback.

I'll put a few more rounds thru her before I break it down again. If there is still any crud lurking, I don't know where it would be. I was pretty thorough when I cleaned her. Next time, I'll let the bolt soak in some Hoppe's 9 for a half hour or so. That stuff dissolves all the crud really well, and fast.

I'll post back with the results, but will be a few days till I get around to it.

wingspar

Bearcat
Finally got the chance to shoot the gun today. For the heck of it, I loaded it with one Aguila round first, then one CCI Velocity round so that the CCI round would go off first. The CCI round definitely had more bang and recoil than the Aguila round did. Of course, the Aguila round jammed. Would not eject all the way. I tried this combo twice, and the CCI rounds went bang louder, and the bolt cycled the Aguila round which jammed after firing. This gun just doesn't like the Aguila ammo.

I picked up a used 10/22 yesterday, and took it along today. It ate the Aguila ammo just fine. I've heard that the 10/22 will cycle anything you feed it, so since it had no problems with the Aguila ammo, I'm going to order a brick or two of the Remington Gold for $20 each. I've heard good things from 10/22 owners on the Remington Gold, and there is no 22 ammo to be had around here. I have to order it all online.

graygun

Hunter
Glad to hear it's working better but like Doble Troble said, less powerful(standard velocity)should cycle,too,if the gun's in pristine operating condition.

I used to see a lot of 22 ammo at the local Walmart as well as rifle rounds. It was 9mm and other pistol ammo that was scarce. Now I'm seeing a lot of 17 and not as much 22. Academy is a better source but the prices are higher than WM.

Have fun with your .22s.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I think that you'll find that the CCI is the best 22 ammo you can buy. It used to be way overpriced when you could buy bricks of 22 ammo for $7.99, but with garbage bulk milk carton 22 ammo selling for $20 or so, 500 rounds of CCI for $35 doesn't seem so bad.

REV

wingspar

Bearcat
graygun":1s3uibmc said:
Glad to hear it's working better but like Doble Troble said, less powerful(standard velocity)should cycle,too,if the gun's in pristine operating condition.

I used to see a lot of 22 ammo at the local Walmart as well as rifle rounds. It was 9mm and other pistol ammo that was scarce. Now I'm seeing a lot of 17 and not as much 22. Academy is a better source but the prices are higher than WM.

Have fun with your .22s.

I will break the gun down again soon, and this time I'll let the bolt soak in some Hoppe's 9 for a while. I didn't let it soak last time. The rest of the gun came out looking like new, so if there is a chance of it cycling the Aguila ammo after the bolt soaks, I'll post back, but I almost used all of the Aguila ammo in my new 10/22 yesterday. It has no problem with Aguila.

No Wall-Marts around here, and no .22 ammo either, so I have to order everything online.

revhigh":1s3uibmc said:
I think that you'll find that the CCI is the best 22 ammo you can buy. It used to be way overpriced when you could buy bricks of 22 ammo for $7.99, but with garbage bulk milk carton 22 ammo selling for $20 or so, 500 rounds of CCI for $35 doesn't seem so bad.

I am becoming a little partial to CCI ammo where this gun is concerned. I have 200 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags on a brown truck that will be here in a few days, and will probably order more just for using in this hand gun. 500 rounds of CCI for $35 doesn't sound that bad to me. I did find some CCI Velocity locally a couple of weeks ago. 100 rounds for $14. 500 rounds of that would be $70, but it's allowed me to shoot this gun normally, so $35 for 500 rounds sounds reasonable.

Burley

Bearcat
The extractor mod will help a lot, at least it helped on mine. Mine would jam on the feed ramp with Rem Gold and close on a spent shell with Feds. Ran fiine on Mini Mags.

wingspar

Bearcat
Finally getting back to this. I broke the gun down, and let the bolt soak in Hoppe's 9 for about an hour, and lightly lubed the bolt. Put some of that Aguila ammo in the gun, and it wouldn't even go into the chamber. Put it all back in the box, and shot all CCI Select and Mini-Mags with no problems.

Well, almost a problem. It was cold, and I was wearing a glove on my left hand and a fingerless glove on my trigger hand. Went to fire the gun, and nothing happened. I looked for a jam, but the bolt looked closed. Then I noticed the bolt had pinched down on a very small piece of my glove, preventing the gun from sliding into battery. Probably talking about 1/64th of an inch of glove material pinched in there. Fortunately, the gun did not fire. I removed my glove from the bolt, ejected the shell, and continued shooting. Guess if I'm going to wear gloves when shooting a hand gun, I better find some tight fitting gloves.

graygun

Hunter
I've never used Aguila. The only .22 I have is a Sears(Cooey) rifle that's about 30 yrs old. It shoots long rifle only and never had any problems firing the low-priced stuff.

Where in Oregon are you;I went skiing at Mt Hood Meadows once?

wingspar

Bearcat
graygun":mhv721mp said:
I've never used Aguila. The only .22 I have is a Sears(Cooey) rifle that's about 30 yrs old. It shoots long rifle only and never had any problems firing the low-priced stuff.

Where in Oregon are you;I went skiing at Mt Hood Meadows once?

There are many different flavors of Aguila .22 ammo. The stuff I got just wouldn't cycle in the Ruger Standard. My bolt action, and my recently acquired 10/22 had no problems with it. No hiccups with CCI ammo and the Ruger Standard, so I'm sticking with CCI ammo for this gun.

SW Oregon. Not a snow bunny. Like the trails around Hood during the summer, and me and a buddy climbed it in 1980. Been a couple of years since I've been up there.

RST-4

Bearcat
I just got to reading this thread and that got me to remembering about one of my dad's standard pistols. I talked with him last night to verify what happend.

Way back when, probably 30 years ago or so, he had a Ruger Standard 6 inch barrel pistol that got to jamming at least once on every magazine shot; sometimes it would jam several times on a magazine load. He got to looking at it and found that the extractor seemed to work like it should, bringing the shell back when the bolt moved back. But, the ejector (the little pin towards the far side of the chamber that the shell is pulled back against to make it fling out sideways) was floppy loose. He compared this to some other standard pistols, and none of them had an ejector this loose. He said he tried to figure out a way to "rivet" it or smash it tighter, but he couldn't get anything to work just right. So, he mixed up some JB Weld and smeared around it and pointed it the way he thought it ought to be. After the JB Weld set up, the pistol worked like a charm and very seldom jammed (he figured any other jams had more to do with the various types of ammo).

A neat side note to this is that a few years later, he sent this pistol back to Ruger to get it reblued. This wasn't exactly a collectors piece as someone had put an adjustable sight on it and done several "mods" to the trigger and such before he had gotten it. He said at that time, it cost only $15 for a reblue at the factory. When he got it back, he said they had replaced several parts in it to make it more "factory". But when he got to looking at the ejector, it still had his JB Weld on it!

Maybe this will help. If not, it's still an interesting story!

RST-4

wingspar

Bearcat
The only time I've ever had problems with jams is with this particular Aguila ammo. Never anything else. To me it's ammo related, and I'll just shoot what the gun likes. I like Mini-Mags, or any CCI ammo, and for now, that's what I'll use, and I expect no problems.

fez

Bearcat
I found that soaking the METAL parts in mineral spirits helps with some surplus guns I have had.Then wash it down with non-chlorinated brake clean.But you must throughly lube with your choice afterwards.

wingspar

Bearcat
Tattooed Bard":1eh2bl3h said:
you can get Breakfree at your local walmart

Everyone in gun forums seems to live near a Wall-mart. It's a 3 hour drive for me. Not happening. No Breakfree around here at all. Tried ordering online the other day, but between the time I put it on my wish list, and the time I went to order it, it went on backorder. Grrrrr.

fez":1eh2bl3h said:
I found that soaking the METAL parts in mineral spirits helps with some surplus guns I have had.Then wash it down with non-chlorinated brake clean.But you must throughly lube with your choice afterwards.

I've soaked the bolt in Hoppe's 9. I really think I just need to stick with CCI ammo.

cbzdel

Bearcat
Richbaker":17p5zimw said:
Aguila is pretty good ammo.... they use Eley-primed brass, IIRC.

I have had nothing but problems with Aguila ammo. The guy at the shop told me it would work magic in my 22s due to the eley-primers (I dont remember those exact words but he said something about the primers so that was probably it)

So it was all they had so I bought a case of 500 rounds. Yesterday was the happiest day of my life when I used the finial round!

My guns eat Federal Bulk like crazy but with this Aguila crap I get about 1-3 jams out of 10 rounds fired.

This Aguila feels like they are coated in wax or something to and leave a clearish white residue like a wax as well.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
As far as I know, all lead-bullet .22 ammo is coated with wax..... only .22 rimfire ammo I know of that is not coated with wax are the plated-bullet loads.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
wingspar":2qxch9ws said:
Tattooed Bard":2qxch9ws said:
you can get Breakfree at your local walmart

Everyone in gun forums seems to live near a Wall-mart. It's a 3 hour drive for me. Not happening.

WOW, I am sure if you write the home office they will build one in your area! I thought it was geographically impossible to be 3 hours from a Walmart :lol: :lol: :lol:

wingspar

Bearcat
Richbaker":3qy1u857 said:
I have had nothing but problems with Aguila ammo. The guy at the shop told me it would work magic in my 22s due to the eley-primers (I dont remember those exact words but he said something about the primers so that was probably it)

There are several different kinds of .22 ammo from Aguila. I only tried the one. There is a photo of the ammo box on the first page of this thread. I put it there so there would be no confusion as to what ammo I was referring to. My 10/22 cycled the Aguila ammo just fine, so I used it up in the 10/22. Other Aguila ammo might work just fine in my Ruger Standard, but since CCI works perfect, and it is a highly respected ammo, and I know it works in my Standard, that's all I'll shoot thru the standard.

sicboy13":3qy1u857 said:
WOW, I am sure if you write the home office they will build one in your area! I thought it was geographically impossible to be 3 hours from a Walmart :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, but I'll pass on that. :mrgreen: