Ruger Stainless Metalurgy Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter
Does anyone happen to know what type of stainless steel Ruger uses for their rifle barrels ?

I'm interested in finding out the type, for machinability issues/etc - regarding a project I'm getting into.

The barrel I would like the info on is a .22 rimfire, from a 77/22 - but I don't know if that would make a difference.

Ruger's Service Dept techs say they're not told that information, so don't know, and wouldn't make any effort to find out for me - so it may be a big deal/trade secret.

Sugar River

Buckeye
The stainless castings made at Pinetree are mostly, if not all, 416. However, they don't cast the rifle barrels. They buy blank tubes and let the rotary forge do the rest.

So, the short answer, I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the bbls are 416 also.

Pete

years ago, when they were REALLY accurate, the barrels came from Douglas, then I'm guessing it was Wilson...have NO clue as to where the blanks come from these days........let alone what the alloy could be....??

WOB

Bearcat
The vast majority of SS used by the button rifled and cut rifled barrel makers is 416R. However, Ruger is now hammer forging at least some of their barrels in house. There are likley some differences in the alloy needed to use that system.

WOB

Latest posts