Ruger SSM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Looking at a Ruger SSM with 4 5/8" barrel. 95% condition. No box/paperwork. Worth $300.00? Is 32 H&R brass /ammo hard to find? If I get it I was cast and reload.

Thanks THK

flatgate

Hawkeye
If the cylinder frame is indeed rollmarked SSM then you have a prize! Very rare gun.....

If it's not marked SSM it's still a good deal in my opinion. I have several Single-Six .32 mags and I really enjoy shooting them. I've "tested" them on Marmots/Rockchucks and they drop 'em in their tracks!

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
+1 to what Flatgate said. Even if it's not marked SSm,, it's still a good buy. As for brass & ammo,, it's out htere,, but like a lot of ammo nowadays,, it isn't easy to find. But,, things are getting better. And yes,, casting bullets is a good way to go.
I too have several 32 mags,, and I enjoy them!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
In my travels, brass & ammo is readily available in lead or JHP. Lead bullets are everywhere for 32M.

Great woods gun and easy-on-the-hip. Good price for a "no-surprises" SA small game getter. 32 H&R Mag fans don't easily give up their Single-Six iron.

Coogs

Maximum
$300.00? Buy it. If it is rollmarked SSM on the frame ya done real good. So far only one of those is known to exist. "SSM" marked frames exist up to about serial # 800. Great shootin' piece! Coogs.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Well I bought it. Frame not marked SSM(rats!). Looks like its hardly been shot. No burn rings on the front of the cylinder and the back looks like it never had a bullet stuck into it. The only wear is on the grips. Only a couple of small dings and the grips appear a little darker from sweat or oil. There is no blueing wear anywhere on the gun. S/N 650-248xx. Wonder what year itwas mfg'd? I have dies for S&W long and an 86 grain mold that I load for an ancient s&w .32 hand ejector. I will shoot it with these wimp loads until I can get some 32 mag. brass.
BTW I have a stainless single six with 4 5/8" barrel and it feels like a "boat anchor" compared to the .32

dougader

Hunter
Coogs":2zetiomv said:
$300.00? Buy it. If it is rollmarked SSM on the frame ya done real good. So far only one of those is known to exist. "SSM" marked frames exist up to about serial # 800. Great shootin' piece! Coogs.

Really? I have one in 32 H&R mag. The serial number ends in 308. I had it on gun broker just 'cuz I have so many and I prefer the 4-5/8" barrels and this one has a 5-1/2" barrel. :shock:

jazzman

Single-Sixer
Looks like yours was made in 1986 according to the Ruger website. I have 2 of them, I made in 1985 unfired in the original box, and one shooter that was made in 1986. I have starline brass in 32 h&r backordered from Midway that I am hoping will be here soon. I have a box of 32 long that I am slowly shooting up. Congrats on your new gun.

Jazzman

dougader

Hunter
I got my 1k pieces of 32 H&R brass earlier this year, before the last batch sold out. I let 50 pieces go to a forum member but want to hang on to the rest. Now I just need to get busy loading!

Jeez, Kaboomer... if you prefer a 5-1/2" model I am open to a trade. I'm a nut for the short barreled single actions.

Allen207

Single-Sixer
I wasn't able to find loaded ammo anywhere. I was able to get brass from http://www.bluestarbrass.com/ in a speedy and painless fashion, small pistol primers were the next hurdle. Bullets are readily available. Now I have a bunch of loaded rounds, but the gun itself is off at Dave Clements :)

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the offer dougader but all my Rugers are 4 5/8" with the one execption of my 5 1/2" accusport 45LC bisley. To me a single action just looks and handles right with a barrel the same length as the ejector housing.

dougader

Hunter
Can't fault you for that. Your tastes run the same as mine in that area. My 5.5" Bisley may just have a 4-5/8" barrel and a fluted cylinder someday. :)

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Happy Kaboomer":1zi59dzb said:
To me a single action just looks and handles right with a barrel the same length as the ejector housing.

Sir, you need to expand your horizons....

.32 mag Single-Sixes? Here's a couple I have...
357573210.jpg

How about .45 Colt cal. Blackhawks?

52401191.jpg

Or, there's this pair of long barreled stainless shooters.. one .22 and one .44..

12471517.jpg

Sure, I have lots of 4-5/8" or even a 4-3/4" "shooter" but one needs to experience the virtues exhibited by all the barrel lengths.....

:D

JMHO,

flatgate

dougader

Hunter
I've owned and fired several long barreled revolvers from 6", and 7.5" to 9.5"... I always come away thinking I'd like them better with 4-5/8" barrels for SA guns or 4" - 5" barrels for DA revolvers.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Flatgate:
Nice guns however I still prefer the shorter barrels on my sixguns. Being a S&W collector too I have long barrels in some of those that I hunt or plink with. But the preponderance(sp?) of those wear 4" barrels too.