ruger sr9 mag release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
I recently purchsed a sr9 and put about 250 rounds through it without any problems love the gun. I do have one problem with the magazine disconnect its just a little hard to push not a huge deal for my shooting right handed but i do find shooting left handed its a bit tricky, and for my wife right handed just has a problem in general.
Is there anything i can do to make it easier to push/release.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Gat0rBait":3js180ik said:
I recently purchsed a sr9 and put about 250 rounds through it without any problems love the gun. I do have one problem with the magazine disconnect its just a little hard to push not a huge deal for my shooting right handed but i do find shooting left handed its a bit tricky, and for my wife right handed just has a problem in general.
Is there anything i can do to make it easier to push/release.

Are you talking about the magazine release, or the magazine disconnect? They are two completely different mechanisms with entirely different functions.

The magazine release on the SR9 is the button behind the trigger that allows you to remove the magazine from the gun. The magazine disconnect is the mechanism in the slide that prevents the gun from firing without a magazine in the gun.

-JT

Grendel

Single-Sixer

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
I think mine is the same as what your describing harder when the mag is full then empty.
From what i read i can just field strip and then should be able to get access to it? What do you use to polish?

jhearne

Buckeye
There is a set of instructions by Turbobruddah (I think I spelled that right) to get it apart. Yes, field strip it first, you may want to detail strip it to ensure there isn't any place for the spring to get trapped in. For detail strip info check out the stickied How To for the SR9 at the top of this forum....even some polishing info to get the trigger to a more likable state.

Josh

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
Ya checked that thread out its great want to get rid of the mag safety disconnect eventually.

So i guess ill give it a try and see if i can get it any smoother. thanks for the help guys

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
It also depends upon what condition the gun is in when your trying to drop the mag. If the slide is forward, you catch the mag safety and it puts a good deal of pressure on the mag and causes it to hang on the retention tab.

Try this,
Slide forward, mag release should be tight do to extra tension. You may have to apply pressure to the bottom of the mag to counter the spring tension.
Slide locked back, mag should easily fall from the pistol as your not fighting the mag disconnect/safety.

If, with the slide locked back, you have trouble getting the mag to drop free, you have an issue you need to look into. Either send it back to Ruger or follow one of several guides posted on here to remove, polish, lube and reassemble the mag release mechanism. It's basically two pieces and spring held in by a pin. Nothing to crazy.

On a side note, the new SR9c seems to have a D shaped mag release. I'm wondering how that will work out since the current setup twists the button a bit as it ramps up the lever. Might be not hand up when it twists. Can't wait to get ahold of one.

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
Took out the mag safety disconnect and was put another 200 rnds through her.

With the slide locked back the mag does come out alot easier but again slide forward mag in and the release button is stiff, functions fine so i guess ill just deal with it

Chris1

Bearcat
I had this very same issue. I called ruger and with almost no questions asked they send me a shipping label so that I could send them the gun free of charge. Although it took several weeks, they fixed the issue and sent it back to me. Never cost me a dime and customer service on my 2 phone calls was always 2nd to none! If you can't fix it on your own, call ruger and you won't be disappointed.

driver52

Bearcat
Mine started sticking real bad even with the mag completely out. I tried cleaning and lubing and still no better. E-mailed Ruger and recieved a response within hours for me to call them. The customer service was great and they emailed me a next day air shipping label. It went out UPS today.

So far I am very pleased with the customer service Ruger has provided.