Ruger sr40 reloading and improving the pistol I

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I just bought a ruger sr40 stainless pistol .How can you improve it trigger and accuracy wise ? I heard you can't hardly reload for these because of the chamber .I have Lee dies and a dillion 550 loader might need dillion dies.I have a ruger pc4 carbine in 40 SW also sucks the clips are not the same .The carbine shoots 1.5 inches at 100 yards with my reloads .I really like this pistol the trigger sucks and the sites are fair .I want a green laser on it .I hate ruger quit making these .

recumbent

Buckeye
If your reloads will fit in an ammo checker gauge they should work fine in the pistol.
I use a lyman.
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7810209-P-Ammo-Checkers/dp/B01M0UWEXY

unionprez

Single-Sixer
My SR40 and SR40c both shoot the reloads I feed them without fail and they have never had a problem with any factory ammo, ever. Actually the SR series has been popular because of their good trigger.
(Striker Fire).

exavid

Hunter
I used a Lee four hole turret press to reload .40s for my SR40c and it's never had a problem shooting them. Several different bullet styles and weights and loading recipes, go bang every time. I sold my loading gear recently but still have a lot of .40s I loaded on hand never had a problem with factory or non-factory ammo.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
What load are y'all using and what kind of groups are you getting at 25 yards ? I really liked these pistols Two police saw a friends and said we wish we had that instead of glocks.They liked these safety and the chamber indicator and the grip .They thought it was awesome to have a stainless 40 SW!

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I just got two of the stainless ones they had good buy. They are out of the stainless ones but have compact ones still .I want to improve the trigger and guide rod and springs . They are awesome pistols for the money.I like. The safety chamber indicator and grip .I never liked glocks .I hope I find the right load for them .

If you just bought them, why do you want to change things right away? Shoot them a while, and I think you'll find the trigger gets better the more you shoot it. I my opinion, way too many people by new guns and immediately start changing things before they even know how the gun is going shoot after it's had a few rounds fired.

My SR9 and SR45 have the original parts in them and both were a bit stiff at first but have gotten nothing but better the more rounds I have put through them. The same with my SIG P229 (.40 S&W), S&W M&P 40 and even my Glock G22. All needed a bit of a break in and now that they have been, I don't need to spend the money to make them "better".

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I shot it 50 times so far just don't like the trigger . There is a 3.5 pound single pull trigger for it has to be better .I will try it again .I like having the carbine pistol combo hopefully I will find a load they both like .That little ruger carbine is super accurate and it really needs a better trigger 12 pounds and super mushy .This is the first semiautomatic centerfield pistol I have ever had .I shoot alot of 22 pistols stoger lugers and the sr40 fit my hand well .I will shoot it about 100 more rounds and see .I hope I can hit better than my first try !

exavid

Hunter
I installed a Ghost Rocket trigger bar on my SR40C which made a BIG improvment. There are two types available, one is a drop in bar the other is one that's just a wee bit larger on one arm that you do a custom fit on. I went with latter. I'd file and stone it a bit, try it then repeat. I did that about four times and decided that was what I wanted. The drop in version is quick and easy and help a lot on the trigger but not quite as good as a custom fit one. It took me about and hour testing and repeating until I got it where I wanted it.

As an indication of how much Ruger copied Glock they sell an almost identical unit for the Glock.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/connector-parts/ruger-sr9-sr40-ultimate-3-5-trigger-connector-prod42110.aspx

https://gunwild.dcouponlist.com/?category=Barrel-Accessories-Review&order=72370&keyword=Ghost+Rocket+Install+Ruger+SR9+Part+1&x=gunwilddcouponlist&fg=brownell-search

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I still can't get this Ruger Sr 49 to shoot good .I tried four loads it's pie plate accuracy at 10 yards .I can shoot clay targets with my 22 pistol at 75 yards .I hope it's the l8ads and not the barrel.I wonder should I send it back to to ruger to get them to check it out .Does anyone make another barrel for tj8s ruger ? I hope I get it to shoot way better .I tried Winchester 180 gr8 hp , Winchester training ammo 180 gr.Federal fmj 180 gr and some cheap other kind .I might try some nosler loads to see if they are better !

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I have the SR9, SR9c, SR9e, SR40, SR40c and SR45. Each and everyone one of them has a great trigger and they all eat every reload I've ever fed them. Great pistols, Ruger should have kept those pistols around. I know they are still available through distributors, but I have 2 friends that both have EC9's and when we go to the range, I'm shooting targets and they're playing with jammed guns.

timboy

Bearcat
There used to be a how to on polishing the internals of an SR9 on this site but it disapeared several years ago.