Ruger SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blackbeard88

Bearcat
Deet, I also had the exact same problem with my brand new SP101 two years ago. I had the 3" version. Really like the gun and was carrying it a lot around the farm. However, it would not digest any .357 over 10 rounds before the cylinder would lockup tighter than the hubs of h*ll, the trigger not being pullable, and in some cases, the cylinder release button would fail to lock after the cylinder was in place. My first SP was sent back to Ruger for this with a detailed summary of everything. As to be expected, Ruger repaired it in a timely manner, free-of-charge, and sent a note saying "adjusted cylinder". Then, I went back to the range....

Same thing again...after one cylinder of .357, total cylinder lock again, trigger won't function, cylinder won't seat back in place and the cylinder release button stays pushed-in. This time, I took it to a local gunsmith in my area with 40yrs experience. He took some measurements and said the gun was pretty-much DOA, and should have never left the factory like this. He found the crane was bent, the cylinder gap was almost non-existent, and the ejector rod was obviously bent. Also, the hammer was riding against the frame. He said he's been seeing a LOT of SP101s like mine coming into his shop in the past few years with nearly identical problems, and he said it was "a shame because fundamentally they're great guns". He said to send it back to Ruger AGAIN. because he didn't feel comfortable trying to repair it as flawed as it appeared. (Ammo I used was WWB from Wal-Mart)

I sent my SP back to Ruger once again with a detailed note explaining everything. Once again, Ruger stood by their product and completely replaced it with a new one. I took it to the range, and shot 100 rounds of .38 and +P loads thru it with no problems. Honestly, though, I have lost my confidence in the SP as a reliable carry piece, and I will NOT shoot .357 thru it ever. Perhaps one day my confidence in it will return, but is ain't there yet. Currently, my SP is sitting in the gun safe. I've since began carrying a .38+P LCR for pocket carry that has been flawless so far.

Kudos to Ruger for standing behind their products. However, I think their QC is seriously lacking....just my experience. Yours may vary.