Ruger SP101 advice...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugersmygun

Bearcat
I just purchased a hammerless SP101 .357 with a 2.5 in barrel and I am looking to do a few improvements to it. First I want to replace the front blade with a night sight I would love to have a Truglo TFO but I don't think they make one so I am leaning towards the Meprolight. Second after reading lots of info on the net I think installing a spring kit would do wonders for this little beast. I will be carrying this (CCW) in my front pocket along side another firearm (IWB) so I will also need a holster for my pocket. Please weigh in on these improvements and if there is any other improvements out there that I have failed to mention please all advice/suggestions are welcome...Thanks

noquarter

Single-Sixer
I have a DAO SP101. You might try painting the front ramp with white nail polish. I found it as good or better than the HiVis sight on my GP100, and a lot cheaper.

ncspeedsix

Single-Sixer
One thing to consider with the meprolight, as I have one on my 2.25 in SP101 .357 is that it messes up your sight picture so that you will have to adjust your aim slightly upward. What I mean by this is the mepro front sight will sit higher than than the factory one, so therefore your shots will end up lower if you don't adjust your aim accordlingly.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
rugersmygun":3kyqubpa said:
Thanks...Now what about the spring kit and does it matter which one(wolff,wilson)?

I have the non-DAO version with a 2 1/2" barrel. Some time ago I placed a Wolff spring kit in mine using the lightest one they had & right off I could really feel the difference....much easier to cycle the action.

I test fired a box or two of reloads afterwards in both DA and SA and did not get any ftf using Winchester WSP primers but YMMV.

Landric

Bearcat
I have the Meprolight front sight on all of my SP101s. I am very happy with the sight picture it produces, day and night. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

As for pocket holsters, I use the DeSantis Nemesis for my DAO 2 1/4" SP and find it quite satisfactory.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I used a Cheap "Don Hume" IWB but I'm switching to a "Simply Rugged" pancake with the optional IWB loops.

56-210

Bearcat
knuckles":1pwa0jo2 said:
I used a Cheap "Don Hume" IWB but I'm switching to a "Simply Rugged" pancake with the optional IWB loops.

I was looking at the DH H715-M WC (IWB) offering, $30 and change, is this the one you may be referring too? The web site pics do no justice for me...

Mark