Ruger SP101: A Thousand Shots Later...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stephen A. Camp

Bearcat
Hello. Four years ago I wound up with a NIB Ruger SP101 with the 3 1/16" barrel. Almost exclusively an S&W revolver shooter, I was not sure if I'd keep the thing or not, but do admit that there was sort of an "instant attraction" to the little .357 after handling it.

I shot it during a few range trips and then wound up doing an initial evaluation of the gun. Here's the link should anyone want it read it:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Ruge ... Report.htm

I also used it as one of the "test guns" when trying out Corbon's then-new .357 Magnum 125-gr. DPX ammunition:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corb ... 20Ammo.htm

Since those reports, I've continued to shoot the little thing off and on, but not with great amounts of ammunition each range session, but over time, my somewhat skimpy notes indicate that it has put at least another thousand rounds of 357 ammunition downrange.

If interested, here's report on the same SP101 and a few minor alterations I've had done to it:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/rang ... 0Later.htm

Best.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Wow, Stephen, great to see you here. I've been reading your posts on other forums for years, and even bought (and enjoyed!) your book.

Thanks for the links to the articles.

-- Sam

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I agree you with you Stephen that 158 grain lead hollow point is my favorite load also. But, that 115 grain +P+ DPX is FLYING !

That's fast on the ole' chrono.

Thanks for the info and reports.

Stephen A. Camp

Bearcat
Hello and thanks. The DPX was not the one moving at 1342 ft/sec. That 115-gr. 38 Special +P+ was actually the Sierra 115-gr. 9mm PJHP loaded in .38 Special cases. It is now discontinued. I believe that it was intended to match the old 110-gr. .38 Special "Treasury Load", sort of a quasi-357 but without the "magnum" stigma that so upsets the blissninny mindset.

I still have a few of these "chilli pepper" Corbons but only shoot them in steel-frame pistols, K-frame up. (FWIW, they work fine on the deadly, man-eating Texas sabre tooth armadillo, though touching one off in an aluminum-framed Model 442 was quite memorable...)

Best to all.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
My apologies for adding DPX to the Corbon round mentioned, I wasn't paying enough attention to detail at that hour. My bad, a misquote.

I'd like to take that +P+ load and see what it would do to logs of wood stood on end, bowling pins, things of a larger heavier nature.

Great legwork and reporting Mr. Camp. ;)

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
FWIW, Ruger DA revolvers actually have the same exact trigger mechanism as S&W, which is a good one. The reason that Rugers aren't too smooth (at least when new) is because the internal parts are full of sharp edges and burrs which a S&W will usually not have. Once they are relieved of their casting marks, burrs and sharp edges, Rugers have an excellent and smooth DA pull, even better than a S&W in my opinion. Where they differ is the hammer spring. A S&W mainspring tends to stack near the end of the DA pull, making a good DA shot more difficult. Ruger mainsprings don't stack like a Smith. Even though the DA pull may be a bit longer, it is decidedly easier to hold on target.

Carry_Up