Ruger sp101 .22 reveiw? how do you like it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DUNTOV

Single-Sixer
I am looking at buying a Ruger sp101 .22 and want some advice from owners who have had one for a while.

Are you well satisfied with yours, how is the trigger pull and accuracy, etc. thanks

DPris

Buckeye
New model, going on two years, quite like it.
DA trigger's stiff on all of the .22s.
Accuracy is adequate.
Fits better with a bigger Hogue grip.
Denis

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
The SP-101 .22LR is a great little gun. Very accurate, easy to load, good balance and feel, and great sights. Only negative on mine is a gritty 14.5 pound DA trigger pull that will have to be worked on. Ruger certainly has the ability to put a decent trigger on their guns and I wish they would. All in all I would buy it again without hesitation and I have no intention of parting with it.

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
I just got one not long ago and have just enough rounds thru it to say that it is "half way" broken in. The trigger gets smoother with every box of .22lr that you put thru it. I was on the fence between an older model 6 round full lug and the 8 round new style 4.2". After finally finding a full lug and the half lug in the same place to compare, I felt the balance was better on the half lug though the full lug does have a handsome look to it. Even with the 8 round cylinder, it seems like you have to reload much to often. I guess that is because you are having so much fun..
As for accuracy, I agree with most on here that it shoots better than I do. I just try and get better with every trip out. The fiber optic sights are great and easy to see. I do wonder the durability of it getting bumped against something or even cleaning solvent getting on it, but so far no issues

silverback

Blackhawk
ok everyone whats with the front sight. I am always trying to get a good 6 o'clock hold and it seems that it is better to put the fiber where you want the bullet to go. if I try to get a a 6 o'clock at 25 yards the the rear sight comes uncomfortably high and the adjustment screw seems too loose.

little help on this one. I would rather have a regular sight blade that I could set a six hold on.
so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Other than that I really enjoy this little shooter and yea I am going to soon be trying to get another as my girlfriend wants one of her own.

I found the trigger pull heavy but if you get a wolff reduced spring kit and replace the trigger spring then work up on the hammer springs you will find one that works and the da is lightened up a bit. Next just polish all the internals and it will help smooth even further.

the only thing left is to shoot the blazes out if it. They make great companion guns to old marlin lever guns 39d 20 inch barrel.

COWTOWNER

Single-Sixer
I also have the old 6 shot full lug 4" barrel. I've had it almost 20 years. It is my favorite handgun. It fits my hand, and feels as though it is a part of me. If I could only have one 22 handgun this would be it.. Seems like I do like it and sure enough I do.

Thanks

Mike

DPris

Buckeye
I do shoot with a 6 hold & have no problem whatever using it with the fiber-optic sight.
I use exactly the same sight picture & hold with it as I do every other handgun I shoot.
Same sight on the new .22 and two new .357 SPs, no problem at all.

Top of the front blade even with the top of the rear blade. No big deal at all, here.

I have fiber-optics, I have white dots, I have gold beads.
When I want accuracy, I ignore whatever "shines" or "glows" on the front bead. When I want speed up close I use whatever "shines" or "glows" on the front blade.

I find that green dot extremely easy to ignore in slowfire accuracy shooting.
Denis

mikem2

Single-Sixer
Great pistol. Accurate out of the box. Mine had a visit back to Ruger to fix a ridiculously heavy DA trigger and a sticky eject situation for two of the eight. Great balance, accurate, fun and well made pistol.

exlogger

Single-Sixer
The trigger is real stiff. I recommend a Wolff spring kit.
The spring kit turns it into a real fine shooter.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I love mine, could not shoot real accurate until i got used to front sight, but now i am doing real well with it. It always goes to the range with me and it is even more fun now that i got some 5 Star speed loaders for it.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I've got an 8 shot one and absolutlely love it. My MKIII is jealous because it gets more safe time now.

Latest posts