Ruger SN 24 firearms at auction...TODAY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Seems it has been uniquely quiet about this set of the late Bill Lett's subscription SN 24 guns being sold at auction, today, by Amoskeag. (Lett of the former Lett grip manufacturing firm, contractor to WBR and one of WBR's boyhood Friends) Some nice items and available to view on the auction site..........Think the Big dogs will be digging deep for funds to spend on these today. 8) :wink: See pg. 6 of the special firearms being sold........ :)

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
No, did not bid on it. Bid on another group(10 items) and was not successful. Deeper pockets, and I assume potato chip ingredient supplier, may have influenced that.. SN 24 Bearcat went for 2K, BTW. Also, SN 24 cased SBH was a $3400 purchase. Would've been fun to be there. It is tough to bid on the phone, too much noise and I remain unsure of the skills of those on the phone allegedly relaying the bids......Did you attend?

Would have liked to have gone but it is still a good 6 hour drive one way for me. It is fun too go . I went down for the #52 auction in the late 90's. Really enjoyed it. Good guns weren't that high then! Still double what they were in the eighties though.
VC

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I like the grip medallions, no doubt owner-installed.

205.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Guys, thanks now I don't have to wait to see if it is joining 23 :( :( :( NOPE seems Flatgate has deeper pockets :D :D :D

Hey Hawkeye, NO PROBLEM....I understand the sharing concept......and the new owner paid within 150 dollars of what I have in my pair though mine are boxed and shippered..... I did almost get it :D :D :D I'm saving my money for the # 28 Single Six when it hits the RUGER AUCTION site :shock: :shock: :shock: Talk about sharing :D :D :D see ya RR

flatgate

Hawkeye
radicalrod":37t1nmpr said:
NOPE seems Flatgate has deeper pockets

RR,

Are you back on drugs or the sauce? When have you EVER seen me on a Auction site? There is no way, no how I could ever play those games. Please don't include my name in your goofy posts.

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy":3u7x6i6l said:

205.jpg

Are you sure about that? Who'd have ever thought that Ruger would make a grip without medallions? I'll bet he tried it :shock:
But too bad we'll probably never know if these are right.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Funny nobody's speaking about the significance of that #0024 auto! Even a low reserve by the auction company!
Anybody know what it really is???
Its NOT all a newly manufactured gun :shock: ....look at the pic and you'll see a receiver with 1/4" dovetail rear sight, small serial numbers, square ejection port and non-INC address...classic Type 1 Red eagle parts. Bet its got the rounded muzzle crown too.
That #0024 was one of many barreled receivers that are still at the factory. Apparently, in '76 WBR or somebody pulled out out of inventory and finished it up with parts from '76. Of all the guns in the auction, that's the one I'd have went for!!
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
chet15":2gr9qkrd said:
weaselmeatgravy":2gr9qkrd said:

Are you sure about that? Who'd have ever thought that Ruger would make a grip without medallions? I'll bet he tried it :shock:
Chet15

My statement about owner-installed medallions considers who the owner was - Ruger's grip maker!

I would bet that Lett at least tried the medallions in the early BC4 grips as prototypes. It would not surprise me that WBR rejected them but then sent them back to Lett on his Bearcat as a joke!

I have some large medallion black eagle Security Six prototype grips but no picture of them handy. I do have a picture of the box they were in:

Lett-Prototype-Grip-Box.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy":asnepayb said:
My statement about owner-installed medallions considers who the owner was - Ruger's grip maker!

Makes an interesting subject, that's for sure! I'm not sure when Lett got into the grip making business, but I don't think he started making grips for WBR until the XR3-RED came out.
Wonder if Lett would have fooled with a NIB Bearcat he probably received four to five years earlier? And the gun is apparently still new.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
chet15":39xmrxpx said:
weaselmeatgravy":39xmrxpx said:

205.jpg

Chet15

Well, I think categorically, they are "right". Why? Simple: Bill Lett supplied grips to Ruger; Bill Lett wanted the emblems. He put them in; AND PERHAPS they were prototype panels for WBR and he decided to NOT use them as they were too large, too expensive, and/or detracted from the overall appearance of the Bearcat. I call these panels "gospel Panels" ..You can take 'em to church as they are righteous....Lter, WBR pus smaller emblems into later generation Bearcats......... :wink:

radicalrod

Hunter
GEEZ , seems someone must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed today......

NEVER FEAR I certainly will never utter your name again.....NO DRUGS OR SAUCE "needed" here......used only socially......

Chet, I do agree....I should have bid more vigorously on that gun......

Well gotta go search more auction sites.......since KOOL guns don't just show up on my porch by themselves......see ya RR.

martyj

Blackhawk
Was the auction listed on the forum? I dont recall seeing it posted on here. Sure would of liked to have that rst4 #24