Ruger Single Six Standard Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1srelluc

Bearcat
I found this old model Ruger Single Six. It's in great shape. Varnished walnut stocks and steel ejector rod housing. I'd rate the blue and ionization at 99%. XR-3 Frame.

ss-002-2.jpg

It came with a .22 Magnum cylinder numbered to the revolver. It also had the transfer-bar upgrade.

The serial is 191643 which places it within that 1962 - 1969 gap.

Some things were not making sense to me so I called Ruger about it.

The guy I talked to there said it was made in 1962. I asked if the .22 mag cylinder was provided when the gun was sold and he said no, just .22 LR. He figured it must have been special ordered/fitted when the revolver was returned for the transfer-bar service.

What is unusual (or maybe not) is that the .22 Magnum cylinder is not marked as such, It's only marked with the last three digits of the serial. The numbers are stamped and not EPed like the later ones.

For all I know that might all be normal.

The older magnum cylinders were not marked as such, and were fluted.

At that serial number it could have been shipped as a single-cylinder .22LR only gun, or as a convertible. XR3 grip frame still possible, as well.

Nice score! :)

1srelluc

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
The older magnum cylinders were not marked as such, and were fluted.

At that serial number it could have been shipped as a single-cylinder .22LR only gun, or as a convertible. XR3 grip frame still possible, as well.

Nice score! :)

The guy at Ruger told me the only convertible sold around that time was the Super Single Six and that one had adjustable sights.

While the .22 mag cylinder is nice to have I don't suspect that it, when installed, would shoot POA without some "Kentucky windage" given that the fixed sights are regulated for .22 LR.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sadly,,, many Ruger employees are NOT as educated as us dedicated Ruger fans. The RENE Guide is a much better resource than the factory even.
The guy at Ruger you spoke with was wrong.
In 1961,, the Old Model Single-Six Convertibles were started. Serial numbers in 1961 started with 162xxx,, and according tot he RENE,, your gun was made in 1962. (He got that part right.)
Model info; RSS5,, if it has the 5" barrel.

That gun also has the incorrect grips on it. The medallions, the eagle should be recessed & painted black.

Now,, there is the possibility that the gun was returned to have the magnum cylinder added AFTER initial manufacture.
If you really want the better info,, spend the $10 on a factory letter. But you may have to wait a while,, as they aren't doing letters due to the reduced employees over Covid-19.
If it was shipped with the magnum cylinder,, it would be a model RSS5X. The X stands for convertible. And your gun does fall into the serial number range for it to be that model.

There were no "silver eagle medallion" grip panels for the original XR3 grip frame.

Are we sure it's not an XR3-RED grip frame and panels?

Of course, someone could have swapped out the later medallions into some XR3 panels.

hittman

Staff member
Can you post a picture of the serial etched or stamped on the magnum cylinder?

And, I'd spend $10.00 for a factory verification letter too.

street

Hunter
Could you take a picture of the eagle on the grip, and please don't use a flash. With the way that the light is glaring on it, it looks like a silver eagle but it could be a black eagle. I bet that gun was a convertible, because the last 3 digits of the serial number is stamped on the mag. cylinder. At that time Ruger was only stamping the added cylinders to their Single-Sixes. The 5 1/2, 4 5/8, and the 9 1/2 in bl. guns, the 22 LR was the standard cylinder for those guns so the Mag. cylinder was the only one STAMPED, not scratched with the last 3 digits of the serial number. As the 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes originally came with the Mag. cylinder, only the 22LR cylinder was stamped with the last 3 digits of the serial number for the 6 1/2 in. bl. guns. In a couple of years when Ruger was shipping mostly convertibles they started scratching the last 3 digits of the serial number on both cylinders.

Those XR3 convertible guns with the small size serial numbers are somewhat rare. I hope it letters as a RSS5X, convertible.

contender

Ruger Guru
I studied the medallions & believe that they are silver eagles,, & not correct. But street has a valid point about the picture & a flash. And by all appearances,, it is a XR3 grip frame.
And about serial number 150,000,, the barrels were changed for the .22 magnums,, so yes,, this one should have the slightly larger bore diameter.

I agree the picture above sure look s like an RSS5, and has an XR-3 grip frame. the picture does NOT show the medallion "properly" as noted above , the flash of the camera??? is the bird black or not?? and if the cylinder IS indeed chambered for the magnum cartridge, that era it is 'fluted' ,would be marked with the last 3 digits of the gun......so simply "Missing" the old model 22 caliber cylinder ( would have the firing pin groove cut around the rear of the cylinder, from chamber to chamber....
and yes the start of the era of convertibles, ONLY a letter will tell you exactly what that gun was shipped as,,,,you'd have to have the box AND the shipper to designate its original shipping otherwise......NICE gun, and the OM 22 cylinders are out there. 8) :roll: :wink:

G2

Hunter
I see no "SR" in the medallion,
and it appears that the black paint in the bird might be missing completely.

Correct Medallion missing paint OR maybe the bird is silver and the field is black.

Silverhawk Single Six.... :roll:

contender

Ruger Guru
Good eye G2. I missed the SR in the medallion. I think street may be right,, the flash makes it appear to be a silver eagle,, with a black background,, but looking closer again,, it may be the exact opposite.

No matter how I zoom in, I cannot see an SR, and it still looks like a silver bird on a black background. I will gladly be proven wrong.

That said, it's still a nice gun. :mrgreen: