Ruger Single Six SSR .32 H&R Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
I do not think I would take a SSM and ream it to 327. I know the single 7 is available in 327 but the SSM , 32 mag, has a max pressure of about 22K PSI and the 327 runs in the 40 K range. While the SSM may take 327 pressures , that is not what they were proofed for. Just for grins . The cylinder on the SSM was made from the same steel that the blue red hawks were made from so they are strong but not rated for 40K pressure when they were built !

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
G2 said:
DHD said:
G2 said:
It should probably be noted that the reason for the "SEVEN" was to relocate the cylinder notch from the chamber wall.

... just a thought :roll:

If your reply was to my tongue-in-cheek comment about only having 6 shots, I knew about the cylinder notches on the Single Seven and know it's a stong design. It's just seven holes.....

I'll admit to not having a Single Seven, but wouldn't mind having one, but my FA97 is still new and I don't want to cheat on it yet. So many toys out there and so little time.

Sorry for the hijack, but any of the 32's are kinda addictive.

NO, was not directed at your comment.

The design on the 327FM vs 32HRM when introduced by Ruger it was noted the reason for the 7 vs 6 to relocate the notch.
Many of the Custom Gunsmiths won't open up a 32 cylinder to 327. I suspect it is because of the design change.

I really don't understand the need, as you can load it (32M) full of H110/296 and get very satisfactory results. :wink:
I have several 32's, and 3-327's They all shoot just a little different, but my favorite is a 32M (9.5 brass bisley) loaded full.

I would love to see a picture of that 9.5" brass Bisley.

bogus bill

Hunter
Anyone know off the top of their head the power ranking differences between .32 H&R mag, 32-20 and .327 mag in similar barrel length?
I do have a Ruger Single Six 4 5/8".32 H&R and a old Colt SAA 4 3/4" in 32 win but never shot them against each other nor own a chronograph. I did load for both many years ago but not a lot.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Way too many variables there to make a judgement call. It largly depends on if you reload ?
Factory 32-20 will be the wimpiest , factory 32mag in the middle and 327 is the king.
With proper reloading your Colt 32-20 could probably run neck and neck with the Ruger 32 mag but why push it? Rugers can be replaced , Colt's not so much.
If you get past the pre-war guns and into a MODERN heavy duty 32-20 (think Buckeye) a 32-20 can be pushed to go toe to toe with the 327,
Just don't try it with an old S&W or Colt.

G2

Hunter
Crazy Horse said:
I would love to see a picture of that 9.5" brass Bisley.

3ruger32s.jpg