Ruger Single Six SSR .32 H&R Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fa38

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Single Six SSR .32 H&R Mag. coming in a week or so. Can anyone tell me what the barrels on these revolver usually mic out at. .309, .310, .312, or something else. I have the RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 32-098-SWC 32 Caliber that casts at .314 Diameter. Would like to cast and size a bunch so I can shoot it on its arrival day.

Thanks.
Marty

JStacy

Blackhawk
I use the same bullet , cast from wheel weights and sized .312 and they shoot good from my 6 1/2" SSM.Don't remember my loads have to look that load up. Be careful of Skeeter Skelton's 32 mag loads if you run across them.
Just for grins try loading a 32L case with 2.6/231/90 Gr Hornady swaged bullet excellent plinking load.
You can also use 10.5/296/85xtp for good accuracy.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you are a caster, and shoot cast bullets,, you should know that you can not get an accurate size w/o the actual gun being checked out.

If you wish to shoot it upon arrival, I'd suggest casting the bullets,, sizing a small batch in .312, .313, .314 & loading a test batch of each.
Get the gun, clean, shoot test batch 1, then inspect & clean, shoot batch 2, inspect & clean, then shoot batch 3, inspect & clean. Then, you will know which sized bullet YOUR gun will prefer.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
My two Single Sixes, a 5-1/2" standard grip and a 4-5/8" Birds Head, share a common cylinder throad dia.: 0.312-", ie. just under 0.312".

I too, have the RCBS 32-098 LSWC which drops at 0.314" when using ACWW's + 2% tin. While I've had good accuracy shooting them at "as Cast" dia., I do better sizing to 0.312" in my Lyman 450. I use 50-50 lube as well. Sizing to 0.312" allows a firm push through on all throats.

Accuracy runs 1.5 to 2.0" at 25 yds from a rest with zero leading. I use as little crimp as possible to prevent bullet movement under recoil, really little more than straightening out the flare necessary to allow seating. Recoil is minimal so not a lot of crimp is necessary.

Unique works well for me, especially 4.0 grains. Win 231 is also good at 3.0 grains.

HTH's, and as always, work up to these loads if interested after consulting a GOOD manual and considering all pressure implications. They work fine in my guns with no pressure problems.

YMMv, Rod

bogus bill

Hunter
I bought this one used/new years ago. I dont cast but used various store bought bullets and haven't shot or messed with it in years. I cant recall what I used without digging but had good luck with all.
https://i.postimg.cc/tg0rgV5m/Ruger-single-six-32-H-R-Mag-65004687.jpg
By the way, what price range could it bring were I put it up for sale? Still almost new condition.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Without knowing the throats and groove diameter it's a shot in the dark. In saying all that the three 32 SSM's that I have shoot that same bullet cast from straight wheel weights sized to .313 and lubed with Alox in a Lyman 450.

The throats on mine run a pretty consistent .314 and groove is.312. I load a lot of Trail Boss for plinking but also like AA9 for hot loads all with that RCBS 98 SWC with no leading. YMMV

contender

Ruger Guru
bogus bill; Values for the .32 cal Rugers can vary a lot depending upon the variations. But the common ones,, which I think yours may be,,, (only one picture & by the serial number,) will also depend upon the condition, box & papers etc. But maybe in the $450-$500 ballpark.

bogus bill

Hunter
Thanks contender, just now seen your reply. If I take a notion to, would the value be hurt significantly if I have the chambers lengthen to .327 mag? Not that I have a burning desire to but may kick around the idea.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I think even though you could ream to 327 federal , the overall length of cylinder would not let you hand load to full overall cartridge lengths or if shooting factory 327 loads be able to close or rotate the cylinder. Others with more knowledge will confirm or set me straight on this. I have two 32 H&R Single Sixes and hope to hear more on this.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Not a Single Six expert, but I suspect that a custom cylinder would be needed and the barrel would need to be shortened inside the cylinder window to give you enough room to run longer bullets in the 327 Fed. Again, not a SS expert.

However, it would be a cool modification and I know it's been done....

trapperon

Blackhawk
DHD is correct. The 327 single seven's have a longer cylinder than the 32 magnum and although the frame is the same size the forcing cone is for the most part flush with the frame.

Personally I would just stick with 32 H&R hot loads in your existing revolver

Ron

bogus bill

Hunter
Thanks for the answers. I have many other calibers anyway. I have read up on the .327 fed mag and it does sound great but I haven't been messing enough with what I do have.. Now if for some reason I lost all my guns I would consider getting one.

DHD

Single-Sixer
FWIW, my 327 is a FA97 and a MP Sledgehammer fits nicely, but it's a hefty price tag. The little Single Seven would be a fun toy if a longer cylinder would fit (and hold 6 rounds), but it is what it is.

The 32 H&R Single Six sort of stays on my radar just because it's such a fun size. I'll snag one eventually with a 4 5/8".

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above,, the cylinder length is a limiting factor if you wish to shoot .327 Mag ammo. The full sized Blackhawk Buckeye convertible that came with 2 cylinders has the length. Many have taken their .32 Mag cylinders & had them reamed for .327.
The Single-Seven is a great gun.
I have one and it was a TON of fun in Idaho chasing & shooting ground squirrels a few years back. It was 'overkill" on them,, but with so many targets of opportunity,, and wanting to try it out,, I used it & my Hawkeye in .256 to slay a BUNCH of them.
The .32 mags, as well as the 327's are an excellent small to medium game killer extraordinaire. Thrown in the inexpensive reloading,, easy to cast for,, mild recoil, accuracy, and it's a winning combo!

G2

Hunter
It should probably be noted that the reason for the "SEVEN" was to relocate the cylinder notch from the chamber wall.

... just a thought :roll:

DHD

Single-Sixer
G2 said:
It should probably be noted that the reason for the "SEVEN" was to relocate the cylinder notch from the chamber wall.

If your reply was to my tongue-in-cheek comment about only having 6 shots, I knew about the cylinder notches on the Single Seven and know it's a stong design. It's just seven holes.....

I'll admit to not having a Single Seven, but wouldn't mind having one, but my FA97 is still new and I don't want to cheat on it yet. So many toys out there and so little time.

Sorry for the hijack, but any of the 32's are kinda addictive.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have this old colt saa in 32/20. It`s a old bad refinish but has a good action and bore. It`s a heavy beast compared to my single six .32 H&R mag. https://i.postimg.cc/prMc159F/Colt-SAA-LAP-8015.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/kXSyScf0/top-ruger-single-six-22-bottom-ruger-single-six-32-H-R-mag.jpg

G2

Hunter
DHD said:
G2 said:

If your reply was to my tongue-in-cheek comment about only having 6 shots, I knew about the cylinder notches on the Single Seven and know it's a stong design. It's just seven holes.....

I'll admit to not having a Single Seven, but wouldn't mind having one, but my FA97 is still new and I don't want to cheat on it yet. So many toys out there and so little time.

Sorry for the hijack, but any of the 32's are kinda addictive.

NO, was not directed at your comment.

The design on the 327FM vs 32HRM when introduced by Ruger it was noted the reason for the 7 vs 6 to relocate the notch.
Many of the Custom Gunsmiths won't open up a 32 cylinder to 327. I suspect it is because of the design change.

I really don't understand the need, as you can load it (32M) full of H110/296 and get very satisfactory results. :wink:
I have several 32's, and 3-327's They all shoot just a little different, but my favorite is a 32M (9.5 brass bisley) loaded full.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Actually light 95 grain bullets with light loads of red dot make super accurate plinking loads too.